pete
10/06/2007, 5:24 PM
Anyone else suffer?

What do you use to ease?

jebus
10/06/2007, 6:01 PM
Anyone else suffer?

What do you use to ease?

Buy locally produced honey, eat it, and hey presto your hayfever disappears, seriously

the 12 th man
10/06/2007, 9:17 PM
I've heard of a medicine called Zirtek that's supposed to be very good for hay fever ,maybe try googling/gargling it?

Terry
10/06/2007, 9:28 PM
I get very bad hay fever every summer and the only thing that works for me is zirtec.

onceahoop
10/06/2007, 9:51 PM
Zirtec and Becanase nasal spray work for me. There is also another tablet as good as Zirtec but cheaper. Can't remember the name of it but ask your Pharmacist. Wear wraparound sunglasses when your out as well.

Dyl10
10/06/2007, 10:30 PM
Yeh Zirtec is excellent but expensive ;)

gustavo
10/06/2007, 10:44 PM
Zirtec and Becanase nasal spray work for me. There is also another tablet as good as Zirtec but cheaper. Can't remember the name of it but ask your Pharmacist. Wear wraparound sunglasses when your out as well.

Clarytin ? its what I use its fairly effective

jebus
10/06/2007, 10:59 PM
Local honey people, local honey!!

dahamsta
10/06/2007, 11:59 PM
Is local honey a hooker from nearby?

Kingdom
11/06/2007, 8:27 AM
`Myself and the wife suffer dreadfully from it. She was preggers last summer so couldn't use the tablets. Remember being told local produced honey does the trick so spent a week visiting farms around Kildare/Offaly looking for honey. Quite funny thinking back.

Myself, I've used Clarityn, but this year for some reason doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. Have used Becanase before and remember it working well.

I was told you can get an injection from the GP at the start of summer (before the effects kick in) and your sorted for the year.

pete
11/06/2007, 12:44 PM
I thought I have grown out of hay fever until it returned a few years ago. I used to use the various tablets or yearly injection in the past but now I use combination of nasal spray & eye drops. Zirtic & Claryn (spelling?) have to be taken daily whether you suffering or not whereas eye drops & nasal spray very quick acting. I was never very impressed by these.

I was informed this year that eye drops expire a month after opening as got some anti-histamine but sounds like bo***x to me. I use Flixonase spray & while I could not remember the price (i knew it was expensive) was shocked when charged 12.50 :eek:

As dahamasta says probably only one type of swell local honey in Dublin City. :o

Erstwhile Bóz
11/06/2007, 12:49 PM
Zirtek worked great for me the year before last but last year it had no effect whatsoever.

Have a pack of Clarityn to tide me over the early symptoms this year but never knew you had to take them regularly -- I thought they were just a 24-hour 'hit'.

I was going to ask what you meant about the local honey all right. I work in town and live in Lucan. How local does it have to bee...?

And what's the story with these eye drops? Are they special hay fever ones or is it just the Optrex? Eyes were at me savagely yesterday.

pete
11/06/2007, 1:07 PM
And what's the story with these eye drops? Are they special hay fever ones or is it just the Optrex? Eyes were at me savagely yesterday.

I suppose what I meant was that the tablets take a long time to kick in so would need to take them first thing in the morning. If you wait until the symptoms are showing it is too late.

I used standard Optrex last year & had expiry of one or two years. Chemist informed me they all expire after a month this year so I was suspicious. The fact both the nasal spray & eye drops both made by same company made me wonder too...

Off topic - Its a real scam the way Pharmacys stock non-prescription products behind the counter so can't see the choices or the price until they add to the till. :(

jebus
11/06/2007, 2:17 PM
I was going to ask what you meant about the local honey all right. I work in town and live in Lucan. How local does it have to bee...?

Not familiar with the Lucan area, but when I take it in Limerick I can get honey from Limerick-Clare-Tipp area (wouldn't touch the Cork stuff for obvious reasons :p) and it works a treat.

Don't know why everyone is always so quick to shovel garbage down their throats and money to the pharmacy when there are simple, alternative solutions readily available

Erstwhile Bóz
11/06/2007, 3:49 PM
I suppose what I meant was that the tablets take a long time to kick in so would need to take them first thing in the morning. If you wait until the symptoms are showing it is too late.

I used standard Optrex last year & had expiry of one or two years.
Gotcha and gotcha.

Not familiar with the Lucan area, but when I take it in Limerick I can get honey from Limerick-Clare-Tipp area (wouldn't touch the Cork stuff for obvious reasons :p) and it works a treat.
I'm all about the local foods and am intrigued by this honey-beating-hay-fever idea.

Speaking of 'local' fecking honey, though, I remember spending a fair few bob on a little plastic bottle/jar of "Bunalun Organic Honey ... 100% Organic Flower Honey ... National Organic Products Ltd., Park Road, Killarney, Co. Kerry" and having it in my hot drinks or on my toast and really enjoying its floral Munster bouquet and western-seaboard breeziness and congratulating myself on splashing out for the guaranteed Irish organic goodness...

...until I noticed the computerized stamp on the back of the lid weeks later: "Origin: Mexiko, Cuba (Non-EU)". :mad::mad:

Lim till i die
11/06/2007, 7:33 PM
I've always found Zirtek kicks Clarytins ar$e tbh

No idea of the cost as I just pilfer my mothers but they're excellent

John83
11/06/2007, 7:36 PM
I've always found Zirtek kicks Clarytins ar$e tbh

No idea of the cost as I just pilfer my mothers but they're excellent
I slightly prefer Zirtek too. They're both around the €5-6 mark for a week's supply.

I didn't get hay fever until I was about 20, but I've gotten it every year since - though not so badly this year for some reason.

Magicme
11/06/2007, 8:23 PM
Am allergic to the nasal sprays and pretty much all the other concoctions on sale but Clarityn works for me and not just if I take it early.

Was gonna come on here all smug saying for first year since was a kid I wasnt suffering but somehow today has got me.

As for honey...would rather sneeze my head off & not be able to see with swollen eyes than eat bees poo.*

*I know its not bees poo but still dont like it.