PDA

View Full Version : Francise football comes to Spain

tetsujin1979
08/06/2007, 12:23 PM
From http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/06/08/new_rules_in_spain_mean_money.html
Basically a minor team has bought the position of another team in the Spanish Second Division, jumping 3 divisions from where they are at the moment

GavinZac
08/06/2007, 1:02 PM
the quality at the lower divisions, even of la segunda, is fairly poor. you could argue that precident for this kind of "buy in" is already set right here - the licensing that allowed limerick 37 to "jump" right into the pyramid at the second highest level, and wexford youths to skip untold divisions between them and the eL, is based on area and cash, full stop.

Sheridan
08/06/2007, 1:11 PM
I think franchise football consists of awarding league places to individuals or consortia (who retain absolute control over all aspects of the franchise) based on financial criteria or location. This is just a merger, it's natural that the hybrid club adopts the higher league placing. I don't approve of it, but it happens all the time in Central and Eastern Europe. Several prominent clubs owe their continued existence to this kind of chicanery.

Dodge
08/06/2007, 1:17 PM
the quality at the lower divisions, even of la segunda, is fairly poor. you could argue that precident for this kind of "buy in" is already set right here - the licensing that allowed limerick 37 to "jump" right into the pyramid at the second highest level, and wexford youths to skip untold divisions between them and the eL, is based on area and cash, full stop.

Not to mention Cork City being founded and elected to the league in 1984...

GavinZac
08/06/2007, 2:24 PM
Not to mention Cork City being founded and elected to the league in 1984...

true! but there wasn't exactly as much of a pyramid then.

Dodge
08/06/2007, 2:41 PM
NO difference at all to how Wexford got in the league. By passed all non league football and elected into the league at the lowest possible level

Founded purely to fill a gap in the league's geographical spread.

GavinZac
08/06/2007, 4:46 PM
NO difference at all to how Wexford got in the league. By passed all non league football and elected into the league at the lowest possible level

Founded purely to fill a gap in the league's geographical spread.
every team was founded as a gap in a geographical spread, and and almost all of the clubs in the league were elected to the league or were founders in it. if you're trying to get a rise, not today! this has nothing to do with the thread and you know it!

Bald Student
08/06/2007, 4:51 PM
every team was founded as a gap in a geographical spread, and and almost all of the clubs in the league were elected to the league or were founders in it. if you're trying to get a rise, not today! this has nothing to do with the thread and you know it!
You're making no sense at all. Wexford, Limerick, Cork, UCD and a whole pile of other clubs were elected to the league by the same process, you can't single out 2 for special mention.

GavinZac
08/06/2007, 4:56 PM
You're making no sense at all. Wexford, Limerick, Cork, UCD and a whole pile of other clubs were elected to the league by the same process, you can't single out 2 for special mention.

:confused: i picked the two that happened in the last few months. and you're the one not making any sense! in the piece you quoted i said:

every team was founded as a gap in a geographical spread, and and almost all of the clubs in the league were elected to the league
to which you responded

whole pile of other clubs were elected to the league by the same process
are you agreeing with me or what?

can anyone respond to my point without resorting to trolling or pedantry?

superfrank
08/06/2007, 5:03 PM
I don't agree with it in any country though it does happen a lot nowadays. Not just here and Spain. Just look at the amount of Italian teams that have gone bankrupt and been replaced by an identical club i.e. Napoli & Napoli 2004. It's just something that will be more common in football, as it is in all other business.