PDA

View Full Version : Curb Your Enthusiasm

Pages : [1] 2

Dodge
08/06/2007, 9:12 AM
Just found out a new sixth series has already been shot and should air in the US this Autumn :D

Peadar
08/06/2007, 9:16 AM
Just found out a new sixth series has already been shot and should air in the US this Autumn :D

Why do I want to punch someone, in the face, every time I see that show mentioned? :mad::mad:

anto1208
08/06/2007, 9:25 AM
Why do I want to punch someone, in the face, every time I see that show mentioned? :mad::mad:

Maybe you have the sence of humour of a woman ?? :p

great show

paul_oshea
08/06/2007, 9:31 AM
sence?

Calcio Jack
08/06/2007, 9:45 AM

Now that's pretty, pretty good news:D

Peadar
08/06/2007, 9:50 AM
Maybe you have the sence of humour of a woman ?? :p

Maybe I'm not dull enough to relate to any of the characters. :rolleyes:

anto1208
08/06/2007, 10:30 AM

Just what my girlfriend says :p

Dodge
08/06/2007, 10:32 AM

How can anyone hate a tv show that much. Turn it off. Job done...

BohsPartisan
08/06/2007, 10:32 AM

Shut up Wanda. :D

Jerry The Saint
08/06/2007, 10:49 AM

It clearly wrecks his head that he doesn't get it. It happens, best to write it off and walk away from the TV, as you say.

Anyway, Larry David has just split from his wife (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/07/people.david.reut/). So if they ever make a seventh season... poor Cheryl! :( :D

I'm guessing he at least ditches the Prius for a Hummer. :D

Raheny Red
08/06/2007, 12:00 PM

Doesn't do it for me either, but I'm happy for the rest of you :D

Dodge
08/06/2007, 12:09 PM
Spread the love Raheny Red ;)

Peadar
08/06/2007, 2:37 PM

I go out of my way not to watch it, but unfortunately, ads for it can catch you unawares. It can be quite distressing! :(
I quickly search for road death ads, to cheer myself up.

anto1208
08/06/2007, 2:54 PM
I go out of my way not to watch it, but unfortunately, ads for it can catch you unawares. It can be quite distressing! :(
I quickly search for road death ads, to cheer myself up.

Lost cause i think

Peadar
08/06/2007, 3:00 PM
Lost cause i think

Right back at you!
I think it's fair to say, that "Curb" appeals to a small minority.

BohsPartisan
08/06/2007, 3:08 PM
Right back at you!

Just like everything thats good in life.

anto1208
08/06/2007, 3:09 PM
Right back at you!

yea all the people that hated will and grace or darma and gregg what do the majority know

pete
08/06/2007, 5:46 PM

I think that was the case a few years ago but a lot more people have seen it now.

Like all comedies you need to watch maybe 5-6 episodes to know the characters. Curb has recurring themes but does appeal to off-beat or quirkier sense of humour. It certainly would not have anything in common with say Friends.

Its a pity its on tv all the time now as its a bit over exposed.

The end to the 5th season was as good an episode as there has been. The whole finding birth father senses were great. :D

Soper
08/06/2007, 5:50 PM
Is it on tv all the time in Ireland? I've only seen it once on tv in the last few years, and before that it was the 'Ted & Mary' episode from season 1 on BBC 2 a few years back.

Do they show Seinfeld on any channels either?

superfrank
08/06/2007, 5:52 PM
Is it on tv all the time in Ireland? I've only seen it once on tv in the last few years, and before that it was the 'Ted & Mary' episode from season 1 on BBC 2 a few years back.

It's on Channel 6 every evening I know.

I've never really got into Curb. I don't find it terribly funny. There are some points where I've laughed but I found in general that I've never found Seinfeld/Curb as funny as people make it out to be.

Jerry The Saint
08/06/2007, 6:00 PM

TG4, Channel 6 and More 4 show Curb intermittently. The repeats are on a lot more often nowadays but it was years before they even showed the first series on TG4. The mainstream channels ran a 100 miles from it, put off by naughty language no doubt (surprised they didn't just cut out every scene with Jeff's wife):)

God bless Channel 6 for showing late-season Seinfeld's every weekday. Although I'm almost done with my Season 8 box set so come November, I won't have to worry if TV in this country never shows Seinfeld again (a real possibility, given the way it's been ignored compared to 24-hour Friends marathons and the like)

Soper
08/06/2007, 6:06 PM
You're lucky you get Seinfeld, they don't show it on any channel in this place. Stupidity at its finest.

Jerry The Saint
08/06/2007, 6:42 PM
You're lucky you get Seinfeld, they don't show it on any channel in this place. Stupidity at its finest.

It's disgraceful - the BBC had the rights to Seinfeld, Larry Sanders and Arrested Development and they buried all three of them because they were 'too American' :rolleyes: (one first-run episode of Arrested Development was shown on BBC2 at 2am on Monday morning after Indoor Bowls highlights:eek:).

Same geniuses turned down The Simpsons when offered it first for the same reason.

Soper
08/06/2007, 6:48 PM
Hahah I remember watching it after the Bowls!

They had Seinfeld on Paramount last year, and all of a sudden they stopped showing it. Surely they can't use the 'too American' argument on there?

superfrank
08/06/2007, 7:20 PM
It's disgraceful - the BBC had the rights to Seinfeld, Larry Sanders and Arrested Development and they buried all three of them because they were 'too American' :rolleyes: (one first-run episode of Arrested Development was shown on BBC2 at 2am on Monday morning after Indoor Bowls highlights:eek:)
Well did you see the recent Arrested Development where Michael has a British girlfriend. It's really taking the **** outta them. Might've been a case of hurt pride.

Dodge
08/06/2007, 10:16 PM
Well did you see the recent Arrested Development where Michael has a British girlfriend. It's really taking the **** outta them. Might've been a case of hurt pride.

That was filmed way after the first series was "aired" on BBC

That and they take the **** out of the US far more

Sadly missed :(

pete
09/06/2007, 10:13 AM
Never could get into Arrested Development but I appreciate the humour. Curb is not like Seinfeld.

Heres a good description from Wikipedia.

Larry David (as himself) – The star of the show. The rich but *****ly David has terrible luck in social situations (with a few notable exceptions) and is often on the losing end of heated confrontations with "the help" — waiters, retail clerks, secretaries, etc. Politically liberal and socially obtuse, Larry can be sensitive to the need to avoid offending others (such as the handicapped, African-Americans, etc), but often only retrospectively. He is a perpetual victim of not only his own petty neuroses and obstinance, which render him incapable of admitting fault, accepting blame and letting matters rest, but also of fate and circumstance (which seem to actively conspire against him) and, on occasion, the sometimes ridiculously over-sensitive and easily-offended natures of those he happens to encounter.

Peadar
09/06/2007, 10:46 AM
Heres a good description from Wikipedia.

I could appreciate if someone found that format/theme amusing, in a one off show, but 6 series!? Give me a break!

Soper
09/06/2007, 10:56 AM
Just out of interest Peadar, what kind of 'comedies' do you like?

BohsPartisan
09/06/2007, 11:39 AM
I could appreciate if someone found that format/theme amusing, in a one off show, but 6 series!? Give me a break!

Quite the opposite, it wouldn't work as a one off. In fact the longer it goes on the funnier it gets. I loved the series with "The Producers" in particular. Genius ending.

anto1208
09/06/2007, 11:51 AM
The Ben stiller episodes where class , when they had a huge fight over larry sitting in the back seat of his car .

the vast majprity of the show is improvised there is and outline of a script and they just make up the rest . Similar to the way chirs guest works with spinal tap etc

pete
09/06/2007, 12:15 PM
"The Doll" is still the best episode & I think sums up the show. The episode builds up to just one joke/punchline. :cool:

Peadar
09/06/2007, 12:16 PM
Just out of interest Peadar, what kind of 'comedies' do you like?

My Name Is Earl, Scrubs, etc.
When it comes to comedy, I watch them, if I stumble upon them but don't set reminders for them, or anything like that.

superfrank
09/06/2007, 2:13 PM
That was filmed way after the first series was "aired" on BBC

That and they take the **** out of the US far more

Sadly missed :(
I love Arrested Development but I hate TV3. Like el weekly they show it at ungodly hours.

Dodge
09/06/2007, 2:26 PM
I love Arrested Development but I hate TV3. Like el weekly they show it at ungodly hours.

Now that they're repeats but when first show, they showed it at 10.30, which was perfectly acceptable

As Jerry said earlier, but the DVDs and don't worry about it :D

BohsPartisan
09/06/2007, 2:27 PM
"The Doll" is still the best episode & I think sums up the show. The episode builds up to just one joke/punchline. :cool:

-B3oC6yWY0A

pete
09/06/2007, 3:26 PM
Lets just say this avoids the swear filter. ;)

The Grand Opening

LTmHS-T5dLA

Soper
09/06/2007, 5:46 PM
A few friends of mine actually started a band called 'Carwash C**t'

anto1208
10/06/2007, 1:28 AM
My Name Is Earl, Scrubs, etc.
When it comes to comedy, I watch them, if I stumble upon them but don't set reminders for them, or anything like that.

Its like trying to discribe a fine wine to a dutch gold drinker

BohsPartisan
10/06/2007, 9:01 AM

POTM! :D

Peadar
10/06/2007, 3:50 PM

You think it makes you clever & spohisticated, simply because you watch some foul mouthed imbecile, make an idiot of himself, through his despicable disregard for others? I can see why you have an affinity, with the lead character.
I've already expressed contempt for this show and have wasted far too much energy, on this futile discussion. Such drivil doesn't warrant so many words!
Enjoy series 6, lads. No doubt it will greatly enhance the eloquence of your posts.

Soper
10/06/2007, 4:15 PM
I must have missed the episode where he offended the people of Cork

BohsPartisan
10/06/2007, 5:10 PM
You think it makes you clever & spohisticated, simply because you watch some foul mouthed imbecile, make an idiot of himself, through his despicable disregard for others? I can see why you have an affinity, with the lead character.
I've already expressed contempt for this show and have wasted far too much energy, on this futile discussion. Such drivil doesn't warrant so many words!
Enjoy series 6, lads. No doubt it will greatly enhance the eloquence of your posts.
:rolleyes:

You definitely should be a character in it Peader. :p

stann
10/06/2007, 5:16 PM

Ooooh!!! Saucer of milk, table 12! :D

Dodge
10/06/2007, 7:24 PM

You sound pretty much like the main charachter Peadar

jebus
10/06/2007, 7:40 PM
jesus, didn't realise there was anyone left with a decent sense of humour that didn't find this show not only funny, but a genuine reason for the continued existence of the misused television, I mean even the Guardian's anti-Idiot Box brigade have bowed down to this shows genius. Anyway it sits at number 4 in my all-time favourite sitcoms, just behind Seinfeld, The Office and Peep Show, and just ahead of Arrested Devolpment, Blackadder, Spaced and Frasier

anto1208
10/06/2007, 11:15 PM
jesus, didn't realise there was anyone left with a decent sense of humour that didn't find this show not only funny, but a genuine reason for the continued existence of the misused television, I mean even the Guardian's anti-Idiot Box brigade have bowed down to this shows genius. Anyway it sits at number 4 in my all-time favourite sitcoms, just behind Seinfeld, The Office and Peep Show, and just ahead of Arrested Devolpment, Blackadder, Spaced and Frasier

i think you would like the mighty boosh and dark places aswell

jebus
11/06/2007, 11:50 AM
i think you would like the mighty boosh and dark places aswell

I'm a fan of the Boosh alright, haven't watched Dark Places but I'll check it out. Given the comedy you like Anto I'll assume you're a fan of Black Books?

Dodge
11/06/2007, 12:04 PM
BTW have you seen the film "The Magicians" froom the people behind Peep Show?

Very disappointing

anto1208
11/06/2007, 12:31 PM
I'm a fan of the Boosh alright, haven't watched Dark Places but I'll check it out. Given the comedy you like Anto I'll assume you're a fan of Black Books?

yea i liked it , the girl was a bit annoying at time though , love Dylans live stuff i think he is very good , Dark places was originally made in the 80's for channel 4 but scrapped as they didnt get it :rolleyes: now when you see it you ll see where a lot of the others shows have sprung from . Steve Merchant is in an episode , as well as Bambridge from the mighty boosh .

I had to pick it up on DVD HMV stock it well worth it if you like silly humour

Gareth Marenghi's Dark places is the full tittle

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397150/quotes

Garth Marenghi: As a horror writer I don't ask for much. I just hope I've changed then way you think about life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dean Learner: Garth is the most significant artist that I've worked with and I've worked with Lulu and four other people, so were talking crème de la crème.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Garth Marenghi: I've always loved the great tragedies, King Lear, The Poseidon Adventure, Superman 2.

Thorton Reed: I've been there hombre, when I heard my wife died I could barely finish my lunch. :D