PDA

View Full Version : Pat Dolan Interview ( Drive 105, Derry)

Drive105
27/02/2003, 9:15 PM
Hi All:
You can now download the Pat Dolan interview from earlier tonight from the Drive105 website www.drive105fm.com
Click on the sports page and scroll to the bottom
Regards
Drive105

The Sheliban
28/02/2003, 7:51 AM
All the news thats fat to print

Danny
28/02/2003, 9:38 AM
Mind what yis post on the internet lads
he really doesn't like us internet fans

W@nker

Ali-G
28/02/2003, 11:17 AM
he had some weird comments about internet supporters. Are we not allowed voice our opinion? It sounded like anyone who uses the net to comment on football are only out to complain and abuse.... Cue a big rant, and tonnes of abuse..

The Sheliban
28/02/2003, 12:53 PM
It just seems incredible that he chooses to characterize the anti-Dolan faction at Pats as "internet fans" The banners that were being unfurled at every game were not being unfurled on the internet, but in reality.
This is a classic example of the Dolan spin. Rewriting history to promote himself. Its also a two-edged sword, because those of us who criticise him on the net, are now being labelled "the very people he's talking about" ****, I'm not even a Pats fan, the very opposite. But I object to being parcelled up and labelled as some kind of a techno freak, just because I dare criticise him. Where else can I criticise him?
Having said all that, behind all the bull**** he's not a bad manager. Just a sneaky little get.

Dodge
28/02/2003, 1:11 PM
The Sheliban is dead right. It seems you have a better grasp on it than the man himself.

Pat also has this view that if you don't agree with him, you're negative. He cannot accept any criticism in any form. When we had the fanzine, he criticised that.

He seems to forget that most of those behind the Dolan out banners were also the people behind all the other banners and flags and everything else that supported the team. He seems to forget that we ran the buses to get people to away games.

****er

A face
28/02/2003, 1:32 PM
Yeah ... Just listening to it now. I have to say that it is a typical thing to say really, he is on the defensive and it is easy to generalise and label the fans that have a gripe with him. It is nearly like a kind of Technophobia if you will.

Anyway .... i couldn't give a toss, the internet is THE best place for info and until clubs/managers/people who should be in the know realise that then it will be their loss. As long as Pat takes the good with the bad then that is fine.

hope it is all good though.

Dr.Nightdub
28/02/2003, 9:05 PM
Dolan's problem is not with the internet per se (though you'd have to wonder why was it that it was only in the week after he left that the club's official site got going again after being left dormant for a year).

His distrust is with any form of two-way communication. He's fine giving interviews to the press or writing a column for the Star, but heaven help anyone who even thinks of putting him on the spot or, heaven forbid, criticising him. Get upset about losing to the three bottom teams in the League over three consecutive weeks and you'll be branded "unqualified", "racist", etc. He cannot stand a situation over which he cannot exercise iron control.

As regards his comments about us up in Derry: he neglected to mention that at that match (postponed and re-scheduled to three days before Xmas) there were about 25 Pats fans there. We gave it socks and tried to outsing three or four thousand Derry fans anyway and it was only after we went two down that the "Dolan Out" banners were unfurled.

he also neglected to mention that at full time as we were appluading the players simply because they were Pats players and some of them were coming over to us to return the compliment, he called them back, got the team into a huddle and then marched them off ensuring that none of them acknowledged us.

That's the kind of manager youse have got. If he wants to **** all over whatever memories of him are left in Inchicore, that's his look-out, we're moving on without him anyway. I look forward to renewing acquaintances with him on April 11th.

goalside
28/02/2003, 9:36 PM
those who mocked me for starting a dolan out campain should read this. remeber who said it first and was laughed at - dolan out. dolan out, dolan out.

Ref
04/03/2003, 6:45 PM
Anyone who couldn't be bothered to download it or can't download it, heres what he said.

--

Pat Dolan has revealed that he believes Dublin clubs dominate the eircom League not only on the pitch but politically too when speaking on Drive105FM.

“Dublin football is detrimental, I think politically they dominate, every decision seems to go their way and I am sick and tired of it. I am not from Dublin I am from Galway and I just wanted to go.”

Dolan was forthright in his opinion of some Saints supporters after one listener asked what did the “Dolan Out” banner have an effect on his decision to leave seeing all he did for St Patrick’s Athletic saying: “Those fans were very rude to me. Ever since I took over as manager, when I took over from Brian Kerr.

I thought I done quite well. I first became manager when I was 28 years of age. I was following someone, It wasn’t ideal for me but Brian had left, someone had to do the job. We beat Athlone 1-0 in the FAI Cup and coming off the pitch the same group of supporters gave me terrible abuse calling me a schoolboy manager.”

“I got tremendous amount of abuse. My popularity at St Pat’s was huge, was massive, in Inchicore and the West Dublin Region but there is always a constituency.”

“The guys on the internet, you know those particular set of guys they were always very rude to me. The fans that tend to go on the internet - look at the top clubs in Europe, don’t mind the top clubs in Ireland, they always have those guys who seem to be on the internet, wanting to criticise, wanting to be negative. I had no problem telling them whatsoever they were a disgrace to the club. Perhaps if they were a little more positive like the huge majority of fans, I think it was their ego, but it had absolutely nothing to do with it"