PDA

View Full Version : Polish matches in Ireland

cityman
07/06/2007, 3:36 PM
Has anyone thought of having some Poland international matches or even club matches in this country? There is a fairly big population of Polish people here, why have no EL clubs organised some friendlies against top Polish teams. I imagine there would be some sort of interest and its fair to say that the EL clubs would welcome the extra revenue.

The international matches might be a little more difficult to organise. Having said that, it didnt do Brazil any harm recently and Mexico regulary play games in the USA. I think it would be great to see some international teams play each other here and not against Ireland.

Any ideas??:ball:

endabob1
07/06/2007, 3:47 PM
EL Clubs inviting Polish sides over for a friendly is probably the best idea I have seen on here ever.
Given the suggested population of about 100,000 (the 2006 census had 63,276 http://beyond2020.cso.ie/Census/TableViewer/tableView.aspx?ReportId=1840 ) It would seem to make perfect sense.

cityman
07/06/2007, 3:49 PM
Cheers, hope something comes out of it.:ball:

gufcfan
07/06/2007, 4:00 PM
Ditto great idea.

Although i believe i thought of it first!!!

I have organised a few ireland poland matches recently on the local pitch.

We nearly always re-pick the teams at 1/2 time tho. Poles always run away with it otherwise

paul_oshea
07/06/2007, 4:02 PM
thats cos ye are from galway, and galway people are scheiser at sport.

youngirish
07/06/2007, 4:15 PM

We are f**king way better than the average Pole at football. I worked in Poznan for a few months with me brother and we used to play for a local team. We are Dubs though and yes Galway people are sh*te at soccer. Sweeping generalisation but both of the above are true.

Peadar
07/06/2007, 4:29 PM
Cork City FC sponsored a football tournament, for Polish people, back in March.
Full story can be seen here... (http://www.corkcityfc.ie/newsarchive/march2007.htm)

Dodge
07/06/2007, 7:01 PM
Pats sponsor the Polish Eagles in some league in Dublin

People shouldn't over estimate the amount of Poles in Ireland, or even think we've a small percentage of the amount living in Germany or Britian

el punter
07/06/2007, 7:44 PM
Setanta Ireland certainly believe there are enough Poles in Ireland to warrant forking out for the Polish international games. Both the Armenia and Azerbaijan games were on last week - featuring expert analysis from Pat and Felix.

The broadcast sponsorship was in the Polish language as was a Meteor ad.

I would agree that arranging friendlies with Polish clubs is a cracking idea.

gufcfan
07/06/2007, 11:11 PM

Might have more to do with 3 of their guys havin played for a couple of decent clubs at home in poland...

Dodge
08/06/2007, 8:14 AM
Setanta Ireland certainly believe there are enough Poles in Ireland to warrant forking out for the Polish international games. Both the Armenia and Azerbaijan games were on last week - featuring expert analysis from Pat and Felix.

The broadcast sponsorship was in the Polish language as was a Meteor ad.

I would agree that arranging friendlies with Polish clubs is a cracking idea.
I'd imagine they faced no competition for the rights and got them for buttons. Smart on their part

Peadar
08/06/2007, 8:30 AM
I'd imagine they faced no competition for the rights and got them for buttons. Smart on their part

I'd have to come to the same conclusion.

Bungle
08/06/2007, 9:33 AM
Wonderful idea and it may bring some Polish supporters into the Eircom league.

Dazzy
08/06/2007, 10:22 AM
Wonderful idea and it may bring some Polish supporters into the Eircom league.

Possible but not many, also if an El team played Wisla, i doubt those that support Legia etc will come out to watch it.

endabob1
08/06/2007, 10:31 AM
Possible but not many, also if an El team played Wisla, i doubt those that support Legia etc will come out to watch it.

I used to work with some Portugese guys and when Sporting Lisbon were going well in the UEFA cup a couple of yers back they played Newcastle & Boro (IIRC) and these guys although Benfica fans all went along to watch, so I think you would still get Legia fans coming to watch Wisla.

Dodge
08/06/2007, 10:34 AM
You've obviously no understanding of Polish football fans...

endabob1
08/06/2007, 10:51 AM
True enough, Still think it's a good idea though.

GUISAUltra
08/06/2007, 11:54 AM

this coming from a Mayo man. tell me paul, what sports are mayo people good at, bog snorkelling, hay tossing?

SuperDave
08/06/2007, 12:43 PM
There's a serious problem with this idea:

irish season: march-november
polish season: september-may

(rough dates)

so neither have a co-inciding off season.

Bluebeard
08/06/2007, 12:47 PM
There's a serious problem with this idea:

irish season: march-november
polish season: september-may

(rough dates)

so neither have a co-inciding off season.

What about our enforced two week mid summer break?

SuperDave
08/06/2007, 12:51 PM
What about our enforced two week mid summer break?

it's enforced. QED.

Sheridan
08/06/2007, 1:17 PM
It's not an idea without merit, but what's in it for the Polish club? English clubs know there's a market to be kindled amongst the indigenous population here (sadly) and the location is no obstacle. I don't think the Polish community in Ireland is big enough to justify the expense and inconvenience of travelling.

Pablo
08/06/2007, 1:59 PM
Theres a few Polish guys started "supporting" Us. Talk about Nutters!

I admire their passion lets put it that way!

OhNoYouDidn't
08/06/2007, 2:34 PM
a group of Poles are regulars at Rovers games too.

Good to see that the objective is to fleece them in a once off friendly, heaven forbid that they engouraged to come alonng regularly. These guys come from a far stronger football culture than most on this forum are used to and prefer live football every time.

Peadar
08/06/2007, 3:53 PM
this coming from a Mayo man. tell me paul, what sports are mayo people good at, bog snorkelling, hay tossing?

Funny how a Rossie can give Mayo a bad name! :D

Back on topic, how about we have more friendlies with English Premiership teams, so that we might attract more Irish people to the eL???

CollegeTillIDie
10/06/2007, 8:19 AM
Peadar

a) Premiership teams cost too much and most of their so called supporters over here are event junkies.

b) The Polish who live here are a better catchment market. What about attracting Czechs and Slovaks too?

c) As regards timing maybe teams playing in the Intertoto (two bob) might fancy our mid season break as a warm up for those ties.

Ceirtlis
10/06/2007, 7:57 PM
A good few romanians went to the champions league qualifier between Steau and Shels a few years ago so it might be a viable idea. Probably only likely to work in Dublin though due to the numbers living there. Costs of them coming over plus whether they are interested in coming over would be two potential stumbling blocks.

CollegeTillIDie
11/06/2007, 7:37 AM
A good few romanians went to the champions league qualifier between Steau and Shels a few years ago so it might be a viable idea. Probably only likely to work in Dublin though due to the numbers living there. Costs of them coming over plus whether they are interested in coming over would be two potential stumbling blocks.

The Romanian community turn it out in big numbers to watch any of their teams playing here. Club, Under age International, even the Women's International team brought them out when Ireland played Romania in Tolka a couple of years back. Incidentally the Irish Ladies will be playing Romania again in the current qualification campaign for the Womens European Championships in 2009.