PDA

View Full Version : Under 21's

ForzaWexford
07/06/2007, 2:39 PM
The groups and fixtures are out for the U21's League. There are 4 groups of 8 - Leinster A, Leinster B, Connact/Ulster and Southern. We're in the Southern section.

The other teams in our group are: Waterford United, Kerry League, Cork City, Cobh Ramblers, Limerick 37, Lifford and Kilkenny.

The top 4 qualify for the knockout stages.

Weekend 24/06 Waterford United v Wexford Youths
Weekend 01/07 Kerry League v Wexford Youths
Weekend 15/07 Wexford Youths v Cork City
Weekend 22/07 Cobh Ramblers v Wexford Youths
Weekend 29/07 Wexford Youths v Limerick 37
Weekend 05/08 Kilkenny City v Wexford Youths
Weekend 12/08 Wexford Youths v Lifford
Weekend 19/08 Cork City v Wexford Youths
Weekend 02/09 Wexford Youths v Kerry League
Weekend 09/09 Lifford v Wexford Youths
Weekend 23/09 Wexford Youths v Cobh Ramblers
Weekend 30/09 Limerick 37 v Wexford Youths
Weekend 07/10 Wexford Youths v Waterford United
Weekend 14/10 Wexford Youths v Kilkenny City

Weekend 21/10 Back Fixtures

Weekend 28/10 Last 16 Knockout

Weekend 04/11 Quarter Finals

Weekend 11/11 Semi Finals

Weekend 18/11 Final

I think the U21's already in the eL squad are: Shane Dunphy, Paul Malone, Richie Fitzgerald, Conor Sinnot, David Millar, Ben Brosnan, Gary Murphy, Joey Wadding and Liam O' Loughlin. I don't know if any of these will be figuring with the 21's much because they're all pretty involved with the eL side.

I'd say the majority of the squad will come from the last few 18's sides. AFAIK we can have also 4 overage players in the team every week.

passinginterest
07/06/2007, 3:30 PM
I can see Wexford having some real success in this league. Cork are usually strong at under 21 too, but I can see Wexford qualifying for the later stages.

I hear some of the clubs are starting to complain about players being taken by wexford Youths. I can't see why they begrudge them a chance to play at a higher level. Plus it means the clubs can concentrate on developing other players who may have been over looked in the past. Too many schoolboy clubs are obsessed with winning rather than training players in the fundamentals of the game.

ForzaWexford
10/06/2007, 7:00 PM
First proper trial was today, although there's been some fellas training with the men for a week or two.

I wasn't there so I can't really comment, but I know at least 3 of North End's U18's from this year got picked. Think Fran Hore might have missed out again.

gael353
10/06/2007, 8:14 PM
Lads is there a link to those fixtures (the full set like) and dave miller is yer best player lads, has a full year of 21s under his belt with us from last year.

DmanDmythDledge
10/06/2007, 8:21 PM
Lads is there a link to those fixtures (the full set like)
http://www.braywanderers.com/showarticle.php?id=589

passinginterest
15/06/2007, 11:18 AM
I was down home for a funeral yesterday and I see in the local paper that an 18 man squad has been picked to compete in the Under 21 league, the majority of them still under 18.

Also the main squad has been trimmed from 28 players down to 22. I didn't notice any players who have featured regularly being dropped.

passinginterest
26/06/2007, 11:15 AM
Any news on who scored for the U 21s? A 2-2 draw away to Waterford is a pretty decent start. With any luck one of them will turn out to be the goalscorer the senior side badly needs.

wexfordseagull
26/06/2007, 11:50 AM
the independant named A Harper & S Dempsey as our scorers.

ForzaWexford
26/06/2007, 10:26 PM
Aaron Harper (20ish, played for Rosslare Rangers) and Shane Dempsey (18, was North End)

We went 1-0 down. Aaron Harper scored from a screamer of a cross from some decent "Rocky" fella who has joined from Arklow. Went 2-1 down with around 10 minutes to go, then Shane scored a screamer from a bad clearance seemingly.

passinginterest
02/07/2007, 10:52 AM
Any update on the score this week? Nothing on Aertel yet.

Looks like the Under 21s are going to get a fair chance with the senior side too. The 2 Dempseys getting a chance against Dundlk and a few others the week before.

Footsoldier
02/07/2007, 12:33 PM
According to the Indo today, they drew 0-0 with Kerry.

ForzaWexford
02/07/2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah 0-0 down in Tralee. Played on a very bad pitch seemingly and the lads were happy enough to come away with a point.

Cup game on this weekend and the players who haven't really featured yet are being given a run, I think.

ForzaWexford
10/07/2007, 9:05 PM
Beat Kilkenny 1-0 in the first round of the cup this weekend.

Lee Walker was in goal for Kilkenny. I wasn't at the game but he's meant to have played a stormer. Personally, and no disrepect to Pa, I think Wallace made a mistake by not picking Lee for the 21's. He's a quality shot stopper, has a huge kickout + when he's on form is as good a keeper as anyone. As long as he keeps his head screwed on I'm sure we haven't heard the last from him.

Shane Dempsey scored another peach seemingly. Good result seen as Mick started a lot of lads who hadn't yet figured at all.