PDA

View Full Version : Car hire (less than 1 year full license)

paul_oshea
06/06/2007, 2:15 PM
main reason i went to sit home and do the test was to have the freedom of being able to go on holidays and rent a car, but i was unaware of having to have the license for 1 year. Does anyone know a way to get round this, i mean how do you prove you have the license a year? cant you just say you lost it and got it replaced or do you have to prove you have been insured for a year?

IF not does anyone know any company that allow you to rent without having a driving license for a year.

pete
06/06/2007, 2:23 PM
IF not does anyone know any company that allow you to rent without having a driving license for a year.

I was not aware of this restriction. I thought you just had to be >25 years old?

:confused:

paul_oshea
06/06/2007, 2:33 PM
no, i dont know anyone who wont....i am 25 also.

My mate told me about a year ago when i was thinking of doing the test and i thought what the point, but then i thought about it and i wondered how they enforce it......so i rang up a few places and said they wont let me hire the car when i get there, so i dont want to chance it and lose the money.....

budget, holiday autos, easy car.

budget the *******s dont even have it on their terms and conditions like the other ones.....you have to ring them up before they tell you, so imagine if i hadnt known this went to hire the car in a foreign country and then they tell me that i cant hire it as i havent a license for a 1 year!!!! lose all my money and have no way to get out of the airport....

pineapple stu
06/06/2007, 5:11 PM
Four of us were on holidays in Canada last year - I had my licence three months and had no problems. Can't remember who it was now (began with A).

Edit - it was Alamo.

beautifulrock
06/06/2007, 7:56 PM
Paul, proceed with caution. The reason for most/all restrictions contained in the hire agreement will be because of the hire companies insurance. So if you do have an accident, you will be asked to provide your licence, they will see it is less than 12 months you wont be insured and you will end up fully liable for all costs and damages. All very well if it is a fender bender but what happens if someone got hurt. So if you want to take the chance make sure you dont crash.

Drumcondra Red
06/06/2007, 9:07 PM
Just put the car in your bird's name and you as an added driver! On the same topic...ish, any ideas of the best value rent-a-car company???

Lionel Ritchie
06/06/2007, 9:21 PM
That won't work Drumcondra Red.

We tried it a couple of years back in France when I only had a full licence for six months.
The girl scrutinised the issue dates of licences and confirmed I could NOT be listed as a named driver.

I've found this to be standard practice in EU countries. As beautifulrock said ...proceed with caution. I think you're just going to have to wait ...sorry the news aint better.

Sligo Hornet
07/06/2007, 7:10 AM
Play it safe....take a taxi!;)

shedite
07/06/2007, 8:43 AM
On the same topic...ish, any ideas of the best value rent-a-car company???

Easycar.com seem to be the cheapest most of the time.

Peadar
07/06/2007, 2:41 PM
Easycar.com seem to be the cheapest most of the time.

Heard too many stories about them, charging extra if there was a bit of dirt on the car and stuff like that. They're not recommended by anyone I know.
It really depends on what country you go to, but I've had good experiences with Hertz & Avis.

Drumcondra Red
07/06/2007, 9:56 PM
Just for Ireland, need unlimited milage too though...

Oh and I recently rented a car through enterprise dispite only having my licence since December

paul_oshea
08/06/2007, 8:25 AM
oh right red.when was recently?did they say that the only allow for a year but didnt bother checking? plus where did you rent it in ireland?

beautifulrock
08/06/2007, 8:28 AM
oh right red.when was recently?did they say that the only allow for a year but didnt bother checking? plus where did you rent it in ireland?

Paul, they always check. First two things they will ask for is your licence and credit card.

paul_oshea
08/06/2007, 9:32 AM
ok rockbottom. cheers.