PDA

View Full Version : Clive makes debut for The Hammers...

UCD_4_Life
26/02/2003, 12:52 PM
Former UCD defender Clive Delaney made his debut for new club West Ham United in a Premier Reserve League clash with Spurs on Tuesday night – and immediately settled into his surroundings with an assured display.

West Ham defeated their London rivals 2-1 with a brace form Richard Garcia, with Delaney taking his place at the centre of defence alongside Anton Ferdinand, the highly-rated younger brother of world record signing Rio.

The 23-year-old Delaney was joined in the Hammers starting XI by fellow Irishmen Shaun Byrne and Daryl McMahon, with ex-Manchester United goalkeeper Raimond van der Gouw bellowing the instructions at the back four from between the sticks.

But it didn’t take him long to adjust to life at Premiership reserve level, and West Ham reserve team manager Roger Cross was impressed with the Irishman’s first outing for the club.

“Clive did well and we are all pleased with him. He is settling into his new surroundings, he’s a nice lad, and everyone is keen on him.

"He showed he has great heading ability and though he is a big lad he showed he has a good turn of pace as well; he isn’t slow.

“He has decent feet; sometimes big players don’t have ability, but Clive does have. So it was a good night’s work overall and I am very pleased."

Schumi
26/02/2003, 1:05 PM
That's nice to hear, hope he gets a shot at the first team before the end of the season.

fosterdollar
26/02/2003, 3:11 PM
yeah fair fux to him - nice to lads like that do well

an 'rock'
26/02/2003, 3:31 PM
Good as he does in england he'll always be our sausage jockeying 7 foot mutant!

pineapple stu
27/02/2003, 1:53 PM
Had a computer exam there last night for my accountancy - the exam came in an envelope with your name and address on it. There was one over at the end when I was leaving with "Absent" written on it - Clive Delaney! Not a bad career switch - supposed to be doing a computer exam on the Wednesday but instead made his debut on the Tuesday!