PDA

View Full Version : Tinkerman gets Juve job.

beautifulrock
04/06/2007, 4:18 PM
Good job for Claudio, although I thought his stock had fallen over the last few years.

Lim till i die
04/06/2007, 4:19 PM
I thought his stock had fallen over the last few years.

As has Juves ;):)

Bluebeard
05/06/2007, 7:59 AM
A bit of a boot in the face to the boy who did the hardest of jobs - bringing them straight back up.

jebus
05/06/2007, 10:23 AM
A bit of a boot in the face to the boy who did the hardest of jobs - bringing them straight back up.

Not really considering he quit to take another job.

shakermaker1982
05/06/2007, 11:50 AM
Man City will now do their upmost to get Sven......

superfrank
06/06/2007, 4:56 PM
Good job for Claudio, although I thought his stock had fallen over the last few years.
You'd think so but he did well at Parma to keep them up.

Clearly, some managers are more suited to other leagues. Alain Perrin that joke that nearly dragged Portsmouth down has now got the Lyon job after having a very good season with Sochaux (comparatively). I now think he is a good manager.

So I was a bit at both these appointments but I think it's all about what league you manage. Clearly, Ranieri and Perrin, failures in the Premiership, do better in Italy and France respectively.

Lim till i die
06/06/2007, 7:48 PM
So I was a bit at both these appointments but I think it's all about what league you manage. Clearly, Ranieri and Perrin, failures in the Premiership, do better in Italy and France respectively.

Bit harsh on Ranieri

Besides the reason so many foreign coaches (good, bad and indifferent) end up in the Premiership is because the standard of British coaches is $hite

Stuttgart88
06/06/2007, 7:51 PM
hopefully his mum will tell him to sign Duff again

superfrank
07/06/2007, 10:57 AM
Bit harsh on Ranieri
With all the money he had and if we did in fact buy the league in 2005 and 2006 :rolleyes: then surely he could've done the same the year before. Of the players he signed only Makelele is the only one that starts nowadays.

What about Veron, Crespo, Mutu, Smertin? He threw a lot of money down the drain. Yeah, Abramovich has loads but you still shouldn't waste money. And how he managed to lose that game against Monaco when they were down to ten men and we still managed to lose it because of his tinkering. I remember similar idiotic changes against Villa and Charlton, to name two, that cost us games. Imo, he was a failure at Chelsea.

Sheridan
07/06/2007, 11:00 AM
Deschamps quit because he the men upstairs wouldn't release funds for the players he wanted. Juventus had planned to replace him with Lippi, but he refused to take the job until December. Rather than appoint a caretaker, Juve gave Ranieri the gig for three years.

gustavo
07/06/2007, 11:39 AM
With all the money he had and if we did in fact buy the league in 2005 and 2006 :rolleyes: then surely he could've done the same the year before. Of the players he signed only Makelele is the only one that starts nowadays.

What about Veron, Crespo, Mutu, Smertin? He threw a lot of money down the drain. Yeah, Abramovich has loads but you still shouldn't waste money. And how he managed to lose that game against Monaco when they were down to ten men and we still managed to lose it because of his tinkering. I remember similar idiotic changes against Villa and Charlton, to name two, that cost us games. Imo, he was a failure at Chelsea.

As far as I know , his 4 seasons with Chelsea , they improved their league position every season , Mutu was a success in his first season , only went sour for him for him the following season for off field reasons by which time Ranieri had left.He only had one season to prove himself with that new team which wasnt long enough at all , Mourinho won the league the following season with even better players brought in to get rid of the few weak links they had.

beautifulrock
07/06/2007, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=superfrank;699981] Of the players he signed only Makelele is the only one that starts nowadays.

Remember that the tinkerman also bought Lampard Cole and Cech (he bought him in Jan, didnt play under him though as joined at the start of the next season) He also bought Gallas (I know he has left) but another outstanding purchase. Purchase wise he has a record to compare to anyone.

green army
07/06/2007, 12:11 PM
hopefully his mum will tell him to sign Duff again

i said the exact same thing to me brother last night:D

DmanDmythDledge
07/06/2007, 1:55 PM
There was no stopping Arsenal in 03/04. Only Man Utd this year or in 99+2000 and Chelsea last year could have stopped them IMO.

superfrank
07/06/2007, 5:05 PM
Maybe I'm just sour with the last season we had under him. We did progress under him. We reached the Champions League therefore saving the club but I also remember losing to St. Gallen. He was completely up and down. Some of his tacitcal changes were extremely bizarre. I mean that's what it boils down to, imo.

When Mourinho came in the only players he truly signed in the first season were Carvalho, Jarosik, Ferreira and Tiago. The likes of Veron, Crespo and Mutu were gone. Money down the drain, no matter how much we had. Yes the players Ranieri bought did well in Mourinho's first season but now the only ones that are first-teamers are Cole, Lampard, Cech, Robben, Makelele. Not even half the team.

The point I'm trying to make is that there are some football fans who say Chelsea bought the league. It's not true. You can't buy a league and Claudio Ranieri is the proof of that. The superstars he bought: Veron, Crespo, Mutu, Duff, etc. a lot of them have left now as Mourinho had no place for them, in other words he didn't keep them in a team that would win trophies and these were household names that Ranieri thought would. Clearly, Mourinho is a better judge and as we can see a better tactician.

Maybe he should've been given more time but then again would you like someone throwing your money away when you can have someone who brings in a few players and does the job effectively? That is my problem with Ranieri. He had all this talent and he couldn't manage them, whereas Mourinho did. Therefore, imo, he is not as good a manager as Mourinho and his last season at Chelsea should be considered a failure. Ranieri shouldn't be pitied for being sacked. It was his own fault.

DmanDmythDledge
07/06/2007, 5:14 PM
The point I'm trying to make is that there are some football fans who say Chelsea bought the league. It's not true. You can't buy a league and Claudio Ranieri is the proof of that.

...Therefore, imo, he is not as good a manager as Mourinho and his last season at Chelsea should be considered a failure. Ranieri shouldn't be pitied for being sacked. It was his own fault.
While you can't necassarily but the league would Chelsea have won the league without Abromovic? Not a chance.

Just because Ranieri didn't do as well as Mourinho doesn't mean he his a failure. Going by that theory almost every manager is a failure.

superfrank
07/06/2007, 5:18 PM
While you can't necassarily but the league would Chelsea have won the league without Abromovic? Not a chance.
I agree with you there but it's not just about the players. You need a very strong manager, like Mourinho, not Ranieri.

Just because Ranieri didn't do as well as Mourinho doesn't mean he his a failure. Going by that theory almost every manager is a failure.
No, with the resources that were at Ranieri's disposal, he is a failure, imo. He could have bought the players to do the job effectiovely like Mourinho did but he didn't. Granted not every manager could do it and Ranieri was one of them. That's why he was deservedly fired. Yes, Mourinho didn't bring them all in but he knew what to change.

gustavo
08/06/2007, 12:43 PM
I agree with you there but it's not just about the players. You need a very strong manager, like Mourinho, not Ranieri.

No, with the resources that were at Ranieri's disposal, he is a failure, imo. He could have bought the players to do the job effectiovely like Mourinho did but he didn't. Granted not every manager could do it and Ranieri was one of them. That's why he was deservedly fired. Yes, Mourinho didn't bring them all in but he knew what to change.

So you are saying that even if Ranieri had Ferreira , Robben , Carvalho , Cech added on to his squad he still wouldnt have won the league , I think had Mourinho been in charge of the same players in 2003-2004 for Chelsea he wouldnt have done any better than Ranieri.

superfrank
08/06/2007, 2:06 PM
So you are saying that even if Ranieri had Ferreira , Robben , Carvalho , Cech added on to his squad he still wouldnt have won the league , I think had Mourinho been in charge of the same players in 2003-2004 for Chelsea he wouldnt have done any better than Ranieri.
Yeah I think so. Mourinho was also able to manage the players and the tactics. It wasn't just the players he bought, he wasn't able to manage them and he could quite often be way off with his tactics.

Poor Student
10/06/2007, 7:24 AM
I think Smertin was an Abramovich signing. While Ranieri failed with the piles of cash I thought he did well to get Chelsea into the CL when they had hit hard financial times juust before Abramovich came in.

superfrank
10/06/2007, 12:28 PM
I think Smertin was an Abramovich signing. While Ranieri failed with the piles of cash I thought he did well to get Chelsea into the CL when they had hit hard financial times juust before Abramovich came in.
Smertin was an Abramovich signing. He was signed from CSKA Moscow, iirc, where he owns the company that sponsored them at the time.

I do think he did well in the 2002/03 season where we needed to qualify for the CL on the last day or face turning into the next Leeds. However, I honestly feel with all that money at his disposal, a better manager would've won the league in 2003/04, no matter how good Arsenal were.

jebus
10/06/2007, 5:55 PM
Lads if you're going to judge a manager on his failure signings then Fergie must be up there with the worst of them