PDA

View Full Version : 2007 standard

oriel
04/06/2007, 1:20 AM
Quick question - is this the worst premier season in a long time in terms of quality ? I`ve seen half the teams play (tv) and apart from drogs in setanta cup final, i`ve seen very little to convince me otherwise.

harry crumb
04/06/2007, 3:15 AM
I think some of the football played by Pats, Shamrock Rovers and Drogheda has been as good as anything seen in the league.

For me Cork City despite not getting results are playing the most attractive stuff in the league, even better than 2 years ago.

bray boy
04/06/2007, 9:07 AM
well at and around the bottom of the table the standard has been shocking sum of it luks lik schoolboy stuff

BohsPartisan
04/06/2007, 9:25 AM
I think some of the football played by Pats, Shamrock Rovers and Drogheda has been as good as anything seen in the league.

For me Cork City despite not getting results are playing the most attractive stuff in the league, even better than 2 years ago.
I think hes right though, there is no consistancy and the fact that the top three faltered at the hands of teams near the bottom this weekend is an illustration of that.

Gareth
04/06/2007, 11:14 AM
you all miss Shelbourne you see.....

Dyl10
04/06/2007, 2:25 PM
I think the standard is very good this year. The fact that teams with players such as Crowe, Heary, Gamble, O' Donnovan, Healy, Farrelly O'Flynn, Horgan, Purcell, McCourt, Hutton, Farren, kudozovic arent in the top 2 says alot.
Add to that the very high standard of Goalkeepers

hoopy
04/06/2007, 2:33 PM
I always find that fans of particular clubs generalise depending how their own clubs are doing, ie if the team is doing well then the league is good, if they're struggling then the league is poor

ollie
04/06/2007, 7:06 PM
I think the standard is very good this year. The fact that teams with players such as Crowe, Heary, Gamble, O' Donnovan, Healy, Farrelly O'Flynn, Horgan, Purcell, McCourt, Hutton, Farren, kudozovic arent in the top 2 says alot.
Add to that the very high standard of Goalkeepers

We haven't played with them in the team yet though.that might explain why we're not in the top 2.

pete
04/06/2007, 8:02 PM

I would not go that far.

Without being biased I think our league winning side in 2005 played the best football in a long long time. The fact they got a record winning points total backed this up.

I think the overall standard lower than the last few seasons.

SkStu
04/06/2007, 8:15 PM
I always find that fans of particular clubs generalise depending how their own clubs are doing, ie if the team is doing well then the league is good, if they're struggling then the league is poor

not necessarily Hoopy... Bohs are doin ok so far, better than expected, and i personally think that the standard of the league this year is woeful. Worst in years. No team stands out. Bohs and Rovers doing better than expected, Pats to falter, Derry gone from near heroes to near zeros, Drogs and Cork underachieving. The standard of the rest of the teams is as would be expected. Pretty poor.

pineapple stu
04/06/2007, 8:17 PM
I think we've the strongest team I've ever seen, but overall, the league is probably down. Shels are gone, Derry and Cork are a shadow of what they were, Drogs and Bohs aren't great footballing sides so even when they win, they can look poor, Sligo are worse than last year and the bottom few (Waterford, Bray, Longford and Galway) are comparable to Bray and Waterford last year, although Bray should be doing better with the squad they have.

Dodge
04/06/2007, 8:20 PM

100% spot on

SkStu
04/06/2007, 8:39 PM
100% spot on

so, by that rationale, you must think the standard is amazing, hoopy must think its alright and Pauro must think its woeful. Its not like that at all in my opinion.

Dodge
04/06/2007, 8:41 PM
IT IS AMAZING

End of.

stann
04/06/2007, 8:42 PM
It's shocking!

FACT!!!

SkStu
04/06/2007, 8:52 PM
IT IS AMAZING

End of.

:D :D

DmanDmythDledge
04/06/2007, 8:56 PM
and the bottom few (Waterford, Bray, Longford and Galway) are comparable to Bray and Waterford last year
I wouldn't agree with that. The teams fighting for relegation are set to get more points than the ones last year. Also the team's at the bottom performances have been better too.

pineapple stu
04/06/2007, 8:58 PM
Here (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=697342&postcount=1) you say that Waterford last Friday were "one of the worst teams I've seen in the Premier." I can only assume that means "ever" as it doesn't make sense to call a bottom half team one of the worst in the Premier this year.

DmanDmythDledge
04/06/2007, 9:02 PM
Here (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=697342&postcount=1) you say that Waterford last Friday were "one of the worst teams I've seen in the Premier." I can only assume that means "ever" as it doesn't make sense to call a bottom half team one of the worst in the Premier this year.
Because I didn't see them last year.;)

They have been performiong better than last year as can be seen by their win over Cork and their draw in the Brandywell to give a few examples.

BohsFans
04/06/2007, 10:48 PM
i personally think that the standard of the league this year is woeful. Worst in years.

How can you tell from over there? I know you get the odd live game on the web but that's about it.

SkStu
05/06/2007, 4:36 AM
apart from the live games on the web, ive watched as many highlights as are available. I read all the reports on unison. But all that aside, its not necessary for me to watch every game. I havent even seen a few of the teams play.

But when you have a lot of clubs taking points off each other it generally points to one of two things. Either, the standard is really high amongst all the teams or the standard is really low amongst all the teams. From what ive seen i reckon its the latter.

European performances and results will also tell us a lot and the sligo poster before you points to the average points per club. I think that is probably the best barometer. If the teams at the lower end have a higher average points per game than, say, last season, then it would be fair to assume that this is because they are not facing the same level of play than last season.

Also, its hard to ignore the fact that quite a few of the better players moved to scotland and england during the close season and havent been replaced with the same quality.

In my opinion, this all points to the fact that the standard of the league is poor this season.

From seeing all the games youve been lucky enough to attend, do you think the league is as good this season as it has been in recent years?

oriel
05/06/2007, 9:17 AM

Very good point.

gufcfan
05/06/2007, 10:26 AM
is this the worst premier season in a long time in terms of quality ? I`ve seen half the teams play (tv)

I saw all the tv games and have made it to all galway united home and some away aswel as a couple of games neutrally viewed matches in Dublin.

I think so far this year the tv games have been a bad indicator as to the level the teams are playing at, in the league as a whole.

I can understand where you are coming from though.

I can say that the games I have seen this year are just as good quality wise as any other year. I am also taking into account the level of football galway have been playing at in the past few years!

jebus
05/06/2007, 10:35 AM
From what I've seen of the Premier on TV this year it's a poor standard, but I haven't been along to many games live so won't say it is for certain. The First Division this year however is absolute tripe, one of the worst of the many terrible seasons I have witnessed, and thats with Limerick doing well