PDA

View Full Version : Denmark Sweden Abandoned last minute?

Noelys Guitar
02/06/2007, 8:09 PM
According to the live score sites? It was 3-3 and a Danish player was sent off so not sure if that had anything to do with it. Bizarre stuff going on. Ref attacked by Danish fan after red carding Poulsen (Denmark) Ref abandons game! 3-0 to Sweden! Unbelievable. Some Danish fans come on to pitch and start kicking ball around!

kdjaC
02/06/2007, 8:42 PM
The game is in Arse aarhus :eek:

kdjac

Noelys Guitar
02/06/2007, 8:48 PM
Here it is
http://svt.se/content/1/c6/84/27/97/sport070602domare.asx

beautifulrock
02/06/2007, 9:01 PM
ooops, Denmark could be in serious trouble.

Sheridan
02/06/2007, 9:28 PM
Ref attempts to gnaw supporter's arm off in self-defence. http://www.expressen.se/polopoly_fs/1.705684!defaultImage/3526442558.jpg

shakermaker1982
02/06/2007, 9:59 PM
what the **** was that stupid idiot thinking?!

lopez
02/06/2007, 11:10 PM
F*ck me: Its Alan Hunter! :eek:

GavinZac
02/06/2007, 11:48 PM
fairly harsh to award the game to sweden at that late stage because of one clown. players have done worse to refs in the past without abandonment.

Stuttgart88
03/06/2007, 7:21 AM
Not that harsh - I think he had just awarded Sweden a penalty, almost Anders Frisk-like. Poulsen punched the guy he was marking in the stomach as the were jostling for position at a set piece.

I'd like to see it again to see if the ball was actually in play when the punch happened.

I wish we'd had that ref in Paris when Barthez felled Andy O'Brien in similar circumstances.

ifk101
03/06/2007, 9:14 AM
Poulsen gave Rosenberg a dig in the belly. This took place in Denmark's box in the 90th minute of the match. Ref didn't see but the linesman did. Ref was on his way to give Poulsen the red card when the idiot runs out onto the pitch.

Good match up to this point. Sweden go 3-0 up early on. Denmark's left-full is having a nightmare and Sweden take full advantage. Denmark get a goal back midway through the first and sub their left-full. Game on again.

All Denmark in the second half and when they get it back to 3-3 the Swedes are clearly panicing. When Poulsen gives Rosenberg the dig there really is no danger to the Danish goal. The ball is in play but the Swedes at this stage of the game are content to keep the ball and waste time. So what Poulsen did is unbelieveably arsed.

Day after the game - both the Danish and Swedish media are full of pictures of the idiot. The Danish football federation is going to sue him for all forthcoming costs and lost revenues. And there's another twist - the idiot lives in Sweden.

superfrank
03/06/2007, 11:29 AM
What a muppet. Now if Denmark fail to qualify they have this clown to blame.

UEFA need to be strong and give the result to Sweden. That way it'll prove fans can't run on and try to ruin a football game and have their teams not bear any consequence. Then the Danish FA should ban/sue him.

Stuttgart88
03/06/2007, 4:41 PM
If I was a Danish fan I'd be every bit as livid with Poulsen as with the idiot fan. Even if the fan had done nothing it was Poulsen who would have thrown Denmark's great comeback down the pan.

Raheny Red
03/06/2007, 5:30 PM
Is it true that if the Danish side as forced to play behind closed doors that they are gonna sue the gob ****e?

lopez
03/06/2007, 9:30 PM
What a muppet. Now if Denmark fail to qualify they have this clown to blame.

UEFA need to be strong and give the result to Sweden. That way it'll prove fans can't run on and try to ruin a football game and have their teams not bear any consequence. Then the Danish FA should ban/sue him.Well elasticating ifk's post and the irony even further, what if it turns out this Danish fan isn't Danish after all? And then, I could pass as an England fan, jump over and wallop the ref if we ever played at Wembley and were losing, and hey presto, England 0 - Ireland 3.

Best idea is to sue the f*ckers a*se and replay the last minute, with the penalty. Whatever you say, you can't blame the DBU and 39,999 people for the actions of 1 space cowboy.

osarusan
04/06/2007, 12:58 AM
Well elasticating ifk's post and the irony even further, what if it turns out this Danish fan isn't Danish after all? And then, I could pass as an England fan, jump over and wallop the ref if we ever played at Wembley and were losing, and hey presto, England 0 - Ireland 3.

Best idea is to sue the f*ckers a*se and replay the last minute, with the penalty. Whatever you say, you can't blame the DBU and 39,999 people for the actions of 1 space cowboy.

Would you even have to do that?

Surely any punishment will be based on a lack of security? If the penalty had been awarded to Denmark, and an angry Swedish fan had got past poor Danish security and run on to get to the referee, who would be punished - the Danish FA for failing to provide proper security, or the Swedish FA, for having a nutcase in their fanbase?

Replay the last minute, including the penalty, behind closed doors, and play the next couple of Danish home games behind closed doors? Sounds good to me.

ifk101
04/06/2007, 6:10 AM
Just to clear it up, the idiot is Danish - but he has been living in Gothenburg for the last few years.

He might get a jail sentence but I think that's unlikely. What's most likely to happen is that Denmark will be forced to play its next home match(es) behind closed doors. If this happens it seems that the Danish FA will sue the idiot for lost revenues. In his defence, the idiot could say that pitchside security was poor/non-existent and that the Danish FA should take part of the blame for what happened. He's also saying that he doesn't remember running in on the pitch because he had taken 15 - 20 beers. ;)

It's also unlikely that the last 3 minutes will be replayed - pretty much everybody here is expecting Sweden to be awarded a 3-0 win. It probably depends on what the other group teams have to say about it - ie Northern Ireland and Spain as an awarded win for Sweden is not good for their qualification chances.

You're right Stuttgart88 - Poulsen isn't at all popular in Denmark atm. If he was a squad player for Denmark, I'm sure his international career would be over now. Luckily for him, he's arguably Denmark's best player so he'll be back in the team after his suspension.

Steve Bruce
04/06/2007, 8:20 AM
As far as I know, if a match is abandoned for whatever reason within the last 10(possibly 15 minutes, can't remember) then the score stands - Apart from in certain circumstances that a tribunial rules the score in one of the sides favour.

As a Northern Ireland fan, the 3 nil awarded to Sweden, would suit us no end. We realistically have no chance of topping the group, so it suits us that one team wins the group easily.

If Northern Ireland win our next 3 games I think all we need to do is pick up a point here and a point there against Sweden(away), Spain(away) & Denmark(which is at Windsor)

ifk101
04/06/2007, 8:52 AM
As far as I know, if a match is abandoned for whatever reason within the last 10(possibly 15 minutes, can't remember) then the score stands - Apart from in certain circumstances that a tribunial rules the score in one of the sides favour.

Freddie Ljungberg said in an interview after the match that he "pushed" the ref into awarding a victory to Sweden. Not exactly sure how to interpret this, but it sounded like that the ref was going to call the result 3-3 until Ljungberg pointed out to him that Sweden had been given a penalty and were, because of this, most likely going to win the match.

But do you not think a draw would be better for NI's qualification chances? I've a feeling both Spain and Sweden aren't going to drop many points in their remaining matches.

Steve Bruce
04/06/2007, 9:01 AM
Freddie Ljungberg said in an interview after the match that he "pushed" the ref into awarding a victory to Sweden. Not exactly sure how to interpret this, but it sounded like that the ref was going to call the result 3-3 until Ljungberg pointed out to him that Sweden had been given a penalty and were, because of this, most likely going to win the match.

But do you not think a draw would be better for NI's qualification chances? I've a feeling both Spain and Sweden aren't going to drop many points in their remaining matches.

No I think a Sweden win is better for NIs chances.

If Sweden can beat Denmark in the next game they play and Spain. That gives NI an opportunity to pick up an extra 3 points over the two.

My hope is Sweden beat everyone round them and NI pick up a credible draw away to them.

I think NI needs Sweden to be the dominent force in this group for us to have any chance of qualifying. If it stays tight, we will lose it as we wont have the goal difference and if we need points away to Spain on our last match we are as good as out.(although I would take having to go into the last match with the requirement of not losing)

geysir
04/06/2007, 10:12 AM
pkA9gxljvQg

I´ve watched this numerous times and I still can't get why the ref felt he had to abandon the match? What a fairy. Football emasculated.
One minute left, all he had to do was allow the penalty and blow up for full time after it. A quick review of the situation would have revealed that there was no furthur risk to anybody. Did the drunk manage to do anything more than attempt to grab the ref's shirt?

Risteard
04/06/2007, 11:46 AM
True geysir.
Don't get it for the life of me.
Obviously, its totally unacceptable but the crowd weren't agitated and it wasn't likely to happen again if the game continued.
Ref is after creating a bigger issue of it.

Neish
04/06/2007, 6:21 PM
The ref shouldn't of called off the game it was nearly over and it was only the action of one idiot, I'd understand him calling it off if there had been a pitch invasion by loads of fans but to call a game off in the final minutes because one fan ran on the pitch it sheer idiocy.

pete
04/06/2007, 7:51 PM
The first thing i though of when heard this was the likelihood of this happening at Lansdowne Road due to crap stewards. Obviously that ground is being demolished now but you get the idea...

Steve Bruce
05/06/2007, 9:39 AM
Do you know what is funny about all this.

The Parken Stadium is a class stadium and Windsor Park is a rubbish stadium(in international terms).

Yet Windsor Park has better controls on crowd. It is a hell of a lot harder to get onto the pitch at Windsor than any other ground I have been at.

There is a moat in front of two newer stands then there is barbed wire on top of the fences.

At the other part, the terracing is lower than the pitch and there is a big fence to climb over.

Maybe UEFA/FIFA should think maybe all the old stadiums wheren't all **** ups in designs. The only thing that they would need to do is have a spill out area in case for some reason there is a bigger than capacity crowd in the stadium.

pete
05/06/2007, 3:19 PM
There is a moat in front of two newer stands then there is barbed wire on top of the fences.

For all the millions they spent on Wembley they really are missing barbed wire. :eek:

Stuttgart88
05/06/2007, 3:56 PM
You can't legislate for the actions of a total fcukwit.

God, sometimes I wake up in the mornings racked with guilt over a mildly offence remark I might have made when drunk the previous night. I wonder how this guy feels!

Cymro
05/06/2007, 8:15 PM
Having watched the footage I can't understand why the idiot wasn't just removed and the game played on. UEFA/FIFA could fine them afterwards.

If the penalty had not been scored, Denmark would have got a point. Bet they must be gutted.

pineapple stu
05/06/2007, 8:25 PM
Exactly. There are procedures for dealing with one idiot who runs on the pitch - you take him away and arrest him. Life goes on. Utterly stupid over-reaction, and can't believe people are defending the referee (not here, but officials in the media in general).

superfrank
08/06/2007, 12:26 PM
Sweden given win after ref attack (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6733867.stm)

Imo, it was the right decision. Hope this guy gets banned for life.

pineapple stu
08/06/2007, 5:14 PM
It was not the right decision. You can't go awarding games every time someone runs onto the pitch.

How long before a fan runs onto the pitch in the colours of the opposition now to get their team a walkover?

superfrank
08/06/2007, 5:17 PM
It was not the right decision. You can't go awarding games every time someone runs onto the pitch.

How long before a fan runs onto the pitch in the colours of the opposition now to get their team a walkover?
It's a bit more than running onto a pitch. He approached the referee. He disrupted match. Yes, the referee could easily have just continued the game but when he didn't and left it the way it was (Sweden had a chance to win it) I think it's fair to award them the game as they had a real chance of winning it.

pineapple stu
08/06/2007, 5:19 PM
It's all part of the one decision though - once the game was abandoned, it had to be awarded (seeing as you couldn't realistically arrange to play the last five minutes of an international at a later stage). You can't take the 3-0 decision alone. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Sheridan
08/06/2007, 5:23 PM

That's a pretty fatuous comment. Failure to provide a secure environment (the responsibility of the host association) results in forfeiture, and always has done. If the safety of a player or official is seriously compromised to the extent that the game can't continue, it's the only just and logical course of action. How long until a player feigns injury to force an abandonment? It happened twenty years ago (we all know when and where) and was rumbled more or less instantly.

pineapple stu
08/06/2007, 5:28 PM
Failure to provide a secure environment (the responsibility of the host association) results in forfeiture, and always has done.
Don't recall Ireland forfeiting any games when a streaker ran onto the pitch, and there have been plenty. (You can't argue that it's a different case as you don't know what he's going to do once he runs on the pitch)

Don't recall Leeds forfeiting the game against Ipswich (?) when their fans invaded the pitch en masse at the end of last season.

Don't recall the 1989 FA Cup Final being awarded when fans spilled onto the pitch.

I agree that -

If the safety of a player or official is seriously compromised to the extent that the game can't continue, it's the only just and logical course of action.
- but that wasn't the case here. Drunken fat bloke takes a wussy swipe at the ref, which was never going to connect because one of the players already had half a hold of him anyways. The ref was a fool to call the match off.

geysir
08/06/2007, 7:11 PM

Interesting question. I suppose it had to be determined that it was indeed a Danish fan.
But if it happened to be a drunken Swede (and there are many) protesting, say at the failure of the ref to spot the "penalty infringement", then would Sweden still get their 3-0? I don't think so.
It appears to be a judgement that was made easy by Denmark's public acceptance of a 3-0 result to Sweden.

GavinZac
09/06/2007, 9:11 AM
It's all part of the one decision though - once the game was abandoned, it had to be awarded (seeing as you couldn't realistically arrange to play the last five minutes of an international at a later stage). You can't take the 3-0 decision alone. The whole thing is ridiculous.

it didnt have to be awarded. The ref can call for an abandonment after 70 minutes in which the result stands.

pineapple stu
09/06/2007, 9:41 AM
Abandoning a match having just awarded a last minute penalty for one team to win would have been just as ridiculous.

GavinZac
09/06/2007, 9:51 AM
Abandoning a match having just awarded a last minute penalty for one team to win would have been just as ridiculous.

yes well we're back to the root cause, that abandoning the match in the first place was ridiculous. you'd say something if it was 500 screaming vikings but one drunk idiot?

pineapple stu
09/06/2007, 9:58 AM
Yeah, as I said, having abandoned the match, it had to be awarded barring getting everyone back in Denmark for three minutes starting with a penalty. But the abandonment was ridiculous.