PDA

View Full Version : Waterford 1-3 UCD

DmanDmythDledge
01/06/2007, 11:44 PM
Good result, excellent performance. Waterford are one of the worst teams I've seen in the Premier though. The two Byrnes had great games in particular. Conan has been having a great season, our best player so far IMO. Paul has been doing great, getting amongst the goals. which as we all now have been lacking someone like that. Maybe finally a bit of recognition from CollegeTillIDie about our scoring this season.:)

I'll have a report from the match up some time tomorrow morning.

half_full
02/06/2007, 9:24 AM
we were truly awful it must be said, Dean Delaney was the only WUFC player who can get any credit from that 'performance'. Must be said though that the tirdeness factor must have played a part, having to play derry away midweek as a part-time club.

Full credit must go to UCD they defenitley deserved the 3 points

Poor Student
02/06/2007, 10:37 AM
I think the game could have been 6-3 rather than 3-1 though.:p As Dman says Conan Byrne was excellent. It just typifies the effort he puts in that he wins a penalty with his back to goal and then fires in the rebound.

I think we badly need the week off. In spite of the fact we have a deep squad we're still down to the bare bones in central midfield. Shorthall also looks like he's short of full fitness. A week might clear up some of the injuries we have. Poor Conor Sammon looks like he fractured something in his hand.

CollegeTillIDie
02/06/2007, 1:58 PM
Well Dmand 6 League goals in only 12 League appearances this season for Paul Byrne means we finally have a Premier Division striker on our hands.
Willie Doyle's 15 in the League in one season club record is under threat ;)

Schumi
02/06/2007, 2:18 PM
Two penalties in the game (and could have had a third according to pineapple). When was the last time that happened?

DmanDmythDledge
02/06/2007, 2:49 PM
I think we badly need the week off. In spite of the fact we have a deep squad we're still down to the bare bones in central midfield. Shorthall also looks like he's short of full fitness. A week might clear up some of the injuries we have. Poor Conor Sammon looks like he fractured something in his hand.
Yeah the week of has come at the right time, would have been even better a week ago. Shorthall wasn't great in the first half but when he moved to right back in the second I thought he was solid enough, although he was rarely threathened. I'd like to see him play there again as it would be much better than shifting Kenna out to right back.

Hopefully Sammo won't be out for long. We didn't miss him last night but we will need him against the better sides. We should be fine though as it's 4 weeks until we're playing one of them.

Poor Student
02/06/2007, 6:44 PM
Was there something wrong with Alan Mahon or is Pete disappointed with his performances? He has come off twice in a week although against Bray it was to shift formation.

I don't think Shorthall was bad, he put in a good shift but he looked a bit knackered. Did he play right back in his first spell?

CollegeTillIDie
02/06/2007, 10:45 PM
Nice to win another away game for a change.
Now we need to start winning at home again :D

DmanDmythDledge
02/06/2007, 11:30 PM
UCD recorded their first win in 7 games with a comprehensive 3-1 victory against a lacklustre Waterford United tonight at the RSC. Despite Waterford taking an early lead UCD dominated throughout and the margin of victory could have been greater.

Pete Mahon made no changes to the side that had lost in Bray earlier in the week as none of the players on UCD's injury list had recovered.

UCD created the first chance of the game after 4 minutes. Ian Berminham made a run down the left wing and cut inside. However he dargged his right-footed effort just wide of the near post.

Although UCD had most of the opening possession it was Waterford who took the lead after 12 minutes against the run of play. The UCD defence failed to adequetly clear a Waterford free kick and the ball fell to Pat Flynn on the right wing who moved the ball inside to Shane Harte. Harte played a first time pass to Paul McCarthy who had time to take the ball under control and place the ball into the bottom right hand corner with a well struck strike from 20 yards.

The goal came as a shock to the visitors and began to pile on the pressure. On 20 minutes Conor Sammon played a brilliant through ball to Paul Byrne after flicking on an Alan McNally long ball. With Byrne through on goal and about to pull Kenny Browne came to the home side's rescue with an excellent last ditch tackle.

Browne again prevented College equalising when he cleared the ball out for a corner with McNally looking set to score. From the resulting corner Dean Delaney saved well from Conan Byrne.

On the half hour mark UCD were extremely unlucky not to have scored. During a goalmouth scramble Delaney pull off 3 great saves to deny Derek Doyle twice and Conor Sammon. Sammon also had an overhead kick headed onto the bar by Waterford defender John Hayes.

However Waterford could not withstand UCD's pressure for much longer and conceded a penalty after 37 minutes. Brian Shorthall played a good through ball to Shane McFaul on the right wing. After moving inside he knocked the ball past Browne who took out McFaul, making no attempt to play the ball. Paul Byrne stepped up the cooly slot the ball into the bottom right hand corner, just past the outstretched arms of Dean Delaney.

Waterford responded positively and should have re-taken the lead 2 minutes later. Matt Gregg poorly punched clear a free kick and the ball was worked back into the penalty area. Some poor defending left Vinny Sullivan in acres of space but he blazed over from 8 yards out.

Waterford were left to rue the missed opportunity as UCD took the lead on the stroke of half time. McNally played a long ball to Paul Byrne who had broken the offside trap. As he bore down on goal he squared the ball to substitute Timmy Purcell who slipped as he was about to finish. With Robbie Hedderman about to clear Conan Byrne burst in from the right and nicked the ball away from under him. In doing so Hedderman brought him down and a second penalty of the night was awarded to the Students. Paul Byrne again stepped up to take it but his penalty was poor this time, with Delaney saving with his legs. However the rebound fell to Conan Byrne who scored into an empty net and gave the away side the lead heading into the break.

The home side had the ball in the net after 53 minutes but it was ruled out much to the disgust of the home fans. Robert Brosnam headed the ball past Gregg but was adjudged to have foulded Alan McNally in the process. UCD went straight up the pitch and Purcell almost extended their lead but shot narrowly wide.

From here on it was all UCD as the Waterford defence could not cope with the pace of the away side's attacks. Conan Byrne was a constant thorn in the Blues defence and his good work almost resulted in UCD increasing their lead. After beating Hedderman with his trickery he sent over an inviting cross. His namesake Paul was just about unable to reach the ball when if he had made contact seemed certain to score.

However UCD scored their third goal after 72 minutes. Conan Byrne again made light work of Hedderman, cutting inside and unleashed a left-footed shot that was destined for the top corner. Dean Delaney managed to save the effort but he knocked the ball right into the path of Paul Byrne who stooped low to head into an empty net to score his sixth league goal of the season.

UCD: Gregg, Mahon (Bolger H/T), McNally, Kenna, Bermingham; C. Byrne, Shorthall, McFaul, Doyle; P. Byrne, Sammon (Purcell '40).
Subs not used: Quigley, O'Callaghan, Moran.

Schumi
03/06/2007, 2:34 PM
6 subs?

DmanDmythDledge
03/06/2007, 2:36 PM
6 subs?
Forsyth wasn't on the bench, just there.:o Fixed now.

I don't think Shorthall was bad, he put in a good shift but he looked a bit knackered. Did he play right back in his first spell?
I never remember him playing right back. Good to see Pete looking outside the box.

Nice to win another away game for a change.
Now we need to start winning at home again :D
Sligo at home next and they're useless away from home, as we know of course.:)

pineapple stu
04/06/2007, 8:14 PM
Two penalties in the game (and could have had a third according to pineapple). When was the last time that happened?
Kildare at home in the Cup in 2002/03. Penalties I also missed!

Did he play right back in his first spell?
No, always centre back.

Couple of tihngs you missed in the report - Gregg was naerly sent off for the second week in a row when he almost handled outside the box. He punched a corner clear and ended up catching the ball himself, but went outside the box in doing so and had to twist backwards to keep his hands and the ball inside. I'm not convinced it wasn't handball, but the ref was right on the edge of the area and was looking closely, so I'm going to have to assume he saw it correctly.

Also, I'm pretty sure we had a third penalty when Paul Byrne was upended by the keeper after nipping in behind the defence to get onto a weak back pass. There were no real complaints however, although it was at 3-1 with about five minutes to go. We really should have scored more than just the one in the second half though - we made some superb chances.

I think the Waterford fans (on btid in particular) are playing down our performance though. Waterford were five games unbeaten, including a draw in Derry and two home wins on the spin, and we completely outplayed them. WLR said it was "a deserved win for an absolutely superb UCD side." Ironically, the defence was shaky, but our attack was very impressive.

Looking forward to the Salthill Devon game now if we play like that. :)

DmanDmythDledge
04/06/2007, 8:48 PM
Couple of tihngs you missed in the report - Gregg was naerly sent off for the second week in a row when he almost handled outside the box. He punched a corner clear and ended up catching the ball himself, but went outside the box in doing so and had to twist backwards to keep his hands and the ball inside. I'm not convinced it wasn't handball, but the ref was right on the edge of the area and was looking closely, so I'm going to have to assume he saw it correctly.

Also, I'm pretty sure we had a third penalty when Paul Byrne was upended by the keeper after nipping in behind the defence to get onto a weak back pass.
Didn't bother putting the Gregg thing in and have absolutely no recollection of a possible third penalty.

There's a few missing words in the 5th paragraph for when you're putting it on the website.

The goal came as a shock to the visitors and they began to pile on the pressure. On 20 minutes Conor Sammon played a brilliant through ball to Paul Byrne after flicking on an Alan McNally long ball. With Byrne through on goal and about to pull the trigger Kenny Browne came to the home side's rescue with an excellent last ditch tackle.

Poor Student
04/06/2007, 8:50 PM
Didn't bother putting the Gregg thing in and have absolutely no recollection of a possible third penalty.

I remember Pineapple shouting for it and remeber thinking if was a bit ify.

The Indo seems to think the first penalty wasn't a proper peno. It looked to me like the Waterford defender just ran and smacked straight into McFaul taking him clean out.

DmanDmythDledge
04/06/2007, 8:57 PM
The Indo seems to think the first penalty wasn't a proper peno. It looked to me like the Waterford defender just ran and smacked straight into McFaul taking him clean out.
It was one of the most blatant I've witnessed. No attempt to play the ball whatsoever.

pineapple stu
04/06/2007, 9:03 PM
Incidentally, the scorers - Paul (2) and Conan (1) - were the exact same as in the first game earlier in the season.

Who was booked? I think Paul Byrne, Shane McFaul and Allie Mac? McFaul's closing on a suspension after three yellows in the last four. Last thing we need.

DmanDmythDledge
04/06/2007, 9:05 PM
Who was booked? I think Paul Byrne, Shane McFaul and Allie Mac? McFaul's closing on a suspension after three yellows in the last four. Last thing we need.
Byrne definitely was and I'm pretty sure McFaul was. That's all I remember.

Our injury list will have improved by then if he does.

DmanDmythDledge
06/06/2007, 3:30 PM
Conan Byrne and Paul Byrne named in eleven-a-side team of the week (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/blogs/viewblog.asp?bid=48).