PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know somewhere I can get good glasses

Aberdonian Stu
01/06/2007, 10:19 AM
I need to get new glasses and I went to McNally's/Vision Express in Blackrock. They had one pair that fitted me and they made me look 50 (I'm 26).

Size matters it would seem as they had trouble finding anything big enough for my head!

Can anyone recommend somewhere (other than Specsavers) in the Greater Dublin area with a good range of frames so I can at least stand a chance of getting a reasonable looking pair?

Stylistic views are also welcome.

paul_oshea
01/06/2007, 10:36 AM
stu david ludlow, though expensive nice glasses small frames but good for a big wide head.. I look in cool in mine. :D

Aberdonian Stu
01/06/2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks Paul. Where is his shop?

paul_oshea
01/06/2007, 1:33 PM
sorry stu, i got it wrong. its david clulow, and i thought he had a shop in dundrum he doesnt....the group that is not him personally....sorry about that.

Aberdonian Stu
01/06/2007, 2:00 PM
So you didn't get yours in Dublin I'm guessing?

Dodge
01/06/2007, 4:06 PM
Out of interest whats wring with Specsavers?

SligoBrewer
01/06/2007, 10:01 PM
Out of interest whats wring with Specsavers?

60% of people who go to specsavers dont go back dodge..

dcfc1985
01/06/2007, 10:39 PM
Out of interest whats wrong with Specsavers?

You'll never guess who I bumped into in Specsavers the other day....Everybody!
:D

strangeirish
01/06/2007, 11:20 PM
You'll never guess who I bumped into in Specsavers the other day....Everybody!
:D
I heard they rob you blind...

Taxi

Aberdonian Stu
02/06/2007, 8:57 AM
Well I'm not a huge fan of the quality of specs they do (durability wise) but more importantly I already know they exist! I'm looking for places I haven't heard of that might have specs that fit me.

Dodge
02/06/2007, 8:02 PM
60% of people who go to specsavers dont go back dodge..

WTF! They cure shortsightedness there!?

kdjaC
02/06/2007, 8:34 PM
Specsavers and Vison place are a complete scam they never seem to have normal glasses in stock only designer ones, i had a pair of Ck ones that lasted about 3 weeks before they fell to pieces.

Altho they are handy if your short of contacts they throw you a few for free to tide you over.

I now use Byrnes in Mill Centre in d22, cheap have decent selection and always get buy one pair get one free. Got 2 pairs of identical glasses for €90 few weeks go. Kids broke both fo them and they fixed them for free.

Contacts too expensive there so i use www.yourlenses.ie who are cheap.

kdjac

SligoBrewer
02/06/2007, 9:54 PM
Altho they are handy if your short of contacts they throw you a few for free to tide you over.

we do that too...i believe its called service?

not have it in the big smoke anymore :p

MojoPin
03/06/2007, 9:51 AM
check this out

http://www.waterford.com/shop/product.asp?sku=4949&cat=C

kdjaC
03/06/2007, 2:10 PM
Its Mc nalllys in D22 that i use :confused:

kdjac

Aberdonian Stu
04/06/2007, 9:28 AM
Yeah I'm from Dublin but only know about 7 postcodes as I'm from Co Dublin so where is D22?

Dodge
04/06/2007, 11:06 AM
Clondalkin

paul_oshea
04/06/2007, 11:15 AM
im from "down the country" but i know a lot more than 7 postcodes, plus its the higher the number "generally means" the further out from the city centre. I assume you know evens are southside, odds are northside stu ;P

drinkfeckarse
04/06/2007, 12:22 PM
I get all my glasses online. Much cheaper and a very efficient service. I use www.glassesdirect.co.uk but I'm sure you'll find plenty just by googling.

pete
04/06/2007, 7:46 PM
I think the two for the price of one offers are rubbish. Its not as if you can waer two at the same time.

I think i got a couple of pairs in specsavers a few years ago but only ever used one pair.

I need replacement pair (sat on existing pair one too many times :( ) and the options in any store i've been too are very limited.

Dodge
04/06/2007, 8:21 PM
I think the two for the price of one offers are rubbish. Its not as if you can waer two at the same time.

I think i got a couple of pairs in specsavers a few years ago but only ever used one pair.

I need replacement pair (sat on existing pair one too many times :( ) and the options in any store i've been too are very limited.

Emmmm, you don't see the irony here?

Aberdonian Stu
07/06/2007, 9:23 AM
I assume you know evens are southside, odds are northside stu ;P

I figured it was wesht and knew it was south but that's a big chunk of the county. As someone from "Co. Dublin" I always found it weird the way some people described it places by their postcode rather than the name of the town/village.

Solar
07/06/2007, 12:44 PM
Contacts the only way to go

Aberdonian Stu
07/06/2007, 12:53 PM
I've only been wearing specs for 2 years and amn't comfortable with making the switch.

Kingdom
08/06/2007, 12:57 AM
im from "down the country" but i know a lot more than 7 postcodes, plus its the higher the number "generally means" the further out from the city centre. I assume you know evens are southside, odds are northside stu ;P

But what about the good folk of Chapelizod? They're northside but the postcode is D8?

Wolfie
08/06/2007, 7:51 AM
I need to get new glasses...............

Stylistic views are also welcome.

May I suggest a piece of sticky tape placed around the frame of the glasses in order to keep one of the lenses in - is quite en vogue. :cool:

I've had the same piece of sticky tape on my specs for months and many comment how stylish it looks and have copied this style pioneered by Jack Duckworth.

Another great look is to use Blue tac instead of tape.

I know......."stylin it" ..........your welcome..........don't mention it.

Dodge
08/06/2007, 8:20 AM
But what about the good folk of Chapelizod? They're northside but the postcode is D8?

Inchicore wannabes! We'll allow them on the basis they hosted Pats for a few years