PDA

View Full Version : Potential Derry boss?

Sniffer
31/05/2007, 12:40 PM
This fella did a good job at Limavady United last season; his squad must have known he was going as they've been jumping overboard at an alarming rate recently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/6699811.stm

lofty9
31/05/2007, 1:05 PM
Brilliant coach and very popular with some of the Derry players like Darren Kelly and Eddie McCallion. He was with us under Kevin Mahon, but when he went to Carlisle he was never replaced and it cost us. I would like to see him back at the Brandywell in some capacity. But I still reckon Pizza will take the job, with Bugsy and Gorman assisting.

seanDCFC
31/05/2007, 1:53 PM
I know a couple lads that played for Limivady and according to them Bugsy is a very good coach but is a poor manger.

Supersaint
31/05/2007, 4:11 PM
A few weeks ago when fenlon retired,i was thinking that sean connor would go to derry (him being a northern bloke) and pat fenlon taking over bohs. made sense at the time but connor seems to have dragged bohs back into the title race.

Risteard
31/05/2007, 11:54 PM
Who's Bugsy?
john Cunningham?

Mr A
01/06/2007, 12:07 AM
Who's Bugsy?
john Cunningham?

Yes- Bugsy is his nickname. Apparently because he carries a tommy gun and likes to engage in driveby shootings, although I may have just made that up.

Ebmania
01/06/2007, 8:19 AM
What about Felix Healy. And would get him off the telly trying to flog Setanta every 2 minutes.

Steve Bruce
01/06/2007, 10:05 AM
PLEASE Felix Healey :D

lofty9
01/06/2007, 10:45 AM
PLEASE Felix Healey :D

I'd love him to be our new boss. 90% of our fans though wouldn't. He did the business with us before.

Mr A
01/06/2007, 11:10 AM
Healy would have Derry fighting for the league this year. Seriously.

Next year he'd probably make a balls of it though, so they'd be best to appoint him til the end of the season.

micls
02/06/2007, 3:45 PM
In our programme last night Lennox mentioned in his programme notes that he heard a former manager of ours could be getting the job.....

Aaron
02/06/2007, 4:01 PM
In our programme last night Lennox mentioned in his programme notes that he heard a former manager of ours could be getting the job.....

Fat Pat, he wasnt on Setanta last Monday either. I'd prefer either Dolan or Felix, many say Felix is a big-headed arrogant cnut but he's good enough, as is Dolan who assembled a Cork title winning squad.

micls
02/06/2007, 4:30 PM
Fat Pat, he wasnt on Setanta last Monday either.
Hes on holidays apparently

, as is Dolan who assembled a Cork title winning squad.

Mixture of him and Gunther.

Hed probably be more successful than Fenlon, but he will be fired/leave and when he does you will have a fan base split down the middle with lovers and haters......were still trying to get over it

Aaron
02/06/2007, 5:35 PM
Hed probably be more successful than Fenlon, but he will be fired/leave and when he does you will have a fan base split down the middle with lovers and haters......were still trying to get over it

I think our fans would give him a chance, difference is if Felix was appointed many would not step foot back inside the Brandywell. I have no time for people like that, they obviously see personality over how good a manager someone is. Felix and Dolan are good enough and i think 1 of them should be given a crack of the whip

Paddyfield
02/06/2007, 10:19 PM
I know a couple lads that played for Limivady and according to them Bugsy is a very good coach but is a poor manger.

That's what they used to say about Don O'Riordan.

MariborKev
03/06/2007, 4:02 AM
I think our fans would give him a chance, difference is if Felix was appointed many would not step foot back inside the Brandywell. I have no time for people like that, they obviously see personality over how good a manager someone is. Felix and Dolan are good enough and i think 1 of them should be given a crack of the whip

There is no doubt that Felix is a talented manager and was two kicks away from two doubles the last time he was in charge. However the year after he won the League the squad fell to pieces and only because Drogs and I think Kilkenny were so bad we would have been in relegation difficulties.

For people that are wondering why Derry fans despise Healy, it relates to when the club was in financial difficulties. We had organised to play Real Madrid in a friendly and he wrote in a column in the local press advising people that it was a scam and not to go to the game.

He has also made subtle allegations of financial improperity towards previous boards of directors, yet has never come out with any evidence.

He made a return to management with Harps, and did well to get them promoted. Before we appointed Kenny he was approached and initially said yes to taking the job, only then to turn around and change his mind.

I didn't agree with the board at that stage, but fair play to them it took a lot of balls to go and ask a man who had slagged them off to take charge.The man had his chance and he decided not to take it.

Can you envisage a work situation where a former employee goes public to criticise the company, publicly ridicules them in the media, and alleges that all may not be kosher behind the scenes, only for the rest of the workforce to accept his return without a murmur.

lofty9
03/06/2007, 9:17 AM
For people that are wondering why Derry fans despise Healy, it relates to when the club was in financial difficulties. We had organised to play Real Madrid in a friendly and he wrote in a column in the local press advising people that it was a scam and not to go to the game.

Maybe he was only saying what the man on the street was saying £25 to go and watch Real Madrid's youth team? The Derry City board refused to confirm at any stage that in fact Madrid would be bringing over these youths. I paid for 3 tickets when released to help the club and wasn't a bit pleased when I became aware what I had paid to see. In fact my father and uncle who I paid the other 2 tickets for didn't bother going to the game but Healy did have a valid point. In fact fair play to him.

He has also made subtle allegations of financial improperity towards previous boards of directors, yet has never come out with any evidence.

Subtle? Of course they were subtle. No-one is allowed to speak ill of certain type of people. If Felix had have said anything else he would have been crossing the line. You know what I mean, and we'll leave it at that.

Before we appointed Kenny he was approached and initially said yes to taking the job, only then to turn around and change his mind.

AFAIK radio phone ins and public pressure forced the Derry board to withdraw the offer. I was in the camp of never having him near the place. But I now realise after Keely, Dykes and Fenlon that he is a better football manager for Derry City than any of them.

I'm glad you said he was offered the job as it contradicts everything Jim Roddy said to the local press at the time in saying Felix was never offered the job.

There is always two sides to a story.

Troy.McClure
03/06/2007, 11:39 AM
Just wait for the fun and games ye're going to have when Dolan joins, hypes up the place and leaves ye on the brink of collapse, it'll be nothing compared to Felix :D

A face
03/06/2007, 1:44 PM
Just wait for the fun and games ye're going to have when Dolan joins, hypes up the place and leaves ye on the brink of collapse, it'll be nothing compared to Felix :D

I hope the Derry fans fasten their seat belts of Dolan appears on the scene.

pete
04/06/2007, 7:41 PM
If Derry City want to partake in the CL qualifiers they need to hire a coach/manager with Uefa Pro licence. That should narrow the candidates down a bit...