PDA

View Full Version : First Match

The Good Son
25/02/2003, 7:01 AM
Sports news on Radio One this morning said that the first league match of the season is against Pats in The Box.
Can antbody confirm if this is the case?

NorthoftheLee
25/02/2003, 8:11 AM
I heard that on the radio too....This always happens in football.
It should be an interesting game...bring em on!!!! :D

Pablo
25/02/2003, 8:21 AM
yeahjust heard it on REDFM there cant wait

patsh
25/02/2003, 8:41 AM
Well if the powers that be in the el have any sense, the opening weekend should have as many "interesting" and high-profile games as possible.
I think that a fixture list something like
(whoever is home or away)

Bohs v $hels

City v Pats

Derry v Scum

Waterford v Longford

Drogs v UCD

would guarantee the season starting with a bang and maximising interest.
I'd almost prefer to be going to the stadium of Sh*te !!!!:D :D

eoinh
25/02/2003, 10:04 AM
massive crowd there will be at that match.

all matchs for the entire season can be found here

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?mainheading=Eircom&id=8990&viewstory=yes;)

fosterdollar
25/02/2003, 10:07 AM
first weekend:

Bohs v Ucd
Cork v Pat's
Derry v LTFC
Shams v Drogs
Waterford v Shels

niamh
25/02/2003, 10:21 AM
How bloody fair. D'ya reckon it was fixed?? Note the second last match is away to Shelbourne...

eoinh
25/02/2003, 10:27 AM
is interesting. we play the kerry league away.

are they grooming kerry for a LoI place?

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=8992&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes

patsh
25/02/2003, 10:28 AM
WEEKEND ENDING SUNDAY 22nd JUNE 2003 – NO FIXTURES

WEEKEND ENDING SUNDAY 29th JUNE 2003 – NO FIXTURES

Anyone know why this is happening ?

joe
25/02/2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by oddboy
WEEKEND ENDING SUNDAY 22nd JUNE 2003 – NO FIXTURES

WEEKEND ENDING SUNDAY 29th JUNE 2003 – NO FIXTURES

Anyone know why this is happening ?

two possibilities;

a) the intertoto cup
b) the spcial olympics

Schumi
25/02/2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by joe
the intertoto cup Why would matches be called off for the inter toto and not the UEFA or CL?

Gary
25/02/2003, 10:47 AM
maybe because our teams have a better chance of winning in the inter totty?

Id wonder more about the special olympics really! What the hell does that have to do with football.

I wonder actually how many of our matches will clash with some of the bigger GAA ones?

joe
25/02/2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Why would matches be called off for the inter toto and not the UEFA or CL?

because unlike the uefa and cl, the intertoto is played at weekends - it's just a theory

pete
25/02/2003, 1:30 PM
Originally posted by joe
b) the spcial olympics

Can't remember where i read or heard it last week but it supposed to be for the special olympics.

I'm sure that event will be big enough but can't see why two weeks of eL football are called off for it.

:confused:

Schumi
25/02/2003, 1:35 PM
Originally posted by joe
because unlike the uefa and cl, the intertoto is played at weekends - it's just a theory But only one team is playing (and given that it's Rovers, not for long). Why not just call off their games? It'd mean less midweek games too.

Ali-G
25/02/2003, 5:47 PM
It's probably just a mid-season break to allow the players a chance to go on holiday.

niamh
26/02/2003, 1:41 PM
All it will take is 1/2 postponed matches and the fixture list for the new season will be in chaos. Why even bother with the League Cup when there are so many games to be played in such little time as it seems??

NorthoftheLee
26/02/2003, 2:28 PM
do they have plans to start the league a bit earlier for the following season? the 8 month league is well too short.. Thats 4 months without live football..what the hell are we suppose to do like..???
I'd say the short (time wise) season is just another part of the change over process. probably start early march next season...well that would be the sensible thing. Not getting my hopes up though....

A Shur if we do well in all competitions we'll have nearly 2 games a week for the season..tough on the players but great for the supporters...

eoinh
26/02/2003, 2:35 PM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee

I'd say the short (time wise) season is just another part of the change over process. probably start early march next season...

yoy're right in 2004 it starts in march. because the league ended in january this year they needed to give the players a rest.

NorthoftheLee
26/02/2003, 3:37 PM
Nice one for that eoinh! 3 months is still too long though..:(

pete
26/02/2003, 3:52 PM
Originally posted by Ali-G
It's probably just a mid-season break to allow the players a chance to go on holiday.

Be very surprised if thats true...then again if is the FAI.. :eek:

I don't understand the obcession with players having to get a summer holiday anyway.

Pablo
26/02/2003, 4:21 PM
Dolan begins new era

New Cork City manager Pat Dolan successfully overcame his first task as boss, when he formally met with all the players and outlined his plans for the club in the coming season.

Dolan, who was confirmed as the man to replace Liam Murphy last Friday, has high ambitions for the Leeside club with his main aim being to break the current domination enjoyed by Dublin clubs in the eircom League.

There is no doubt that the former Arsenal trainee will be keen to bring new blood into the Cork squad and reports have already suggested that he will raid his old club in a bid to build a team capable of breaking the Dublin monopoly.

The former St Patrick’s Athletic manager will face his old side in the first league match of the season with the Saints travelling to Turner’s Cross on Friday, April 11.

Champions Bohemians then visit Cork a week and a half later as they bid to begin their campaign with an impressive start. The League Cup has also been re-introduced this season with Dolan’s side grouped with Cobh Ramblers and Kerry League.
11-a-side