PDA

View Full Version : Pike Field - Yes or No

sadloserkid
24/02/2003, 3:19 PM
It's simple. Is Pike the answer ? Yes or no?

I'm an undecided so I won't be voting just yet. :D

Gary
24/02/2003, 3:36 PM
Moving to another clubs ground who have a lower status that ye (in eL terms), cannot be seen as a solution. Having said that, ive not a clue where else ye can go.

It seems a sorry mess to me anyway. Pity.

sadloserkid
24/02/2003, 3:41 PM
It wouldn't bother me that the ground is owned by a 'lesser' club or group. Galway United get along fine with their landlords at Terryland. There's a lot of scope for development with Pike but as our Waterford blow-in has outlined below it's location isn't the best to be fair... Long-term The Markets Field still looks a good bet but it won't be on the market (excuse the pun) for maybe 2 years or so and with the upcoming license system Limerick need a fix now.

deise deserter
25/02/2003, 4:47 PM
I don't think that Limerick FC should go in there full time. The more and more informed I become in relation to possibilities, the more and more I am coming to agree with Gael 353's ideas - Thomond Park for a couple of years and then moving onto the Market's Field when it becomes available.

That said we are in Pike now and will have to live with it - but hopefully not for too long.

sadloserkid
25/02/2003, 4:51 PM
Actually we're not officially in Pike Field yet! As for Thomond Park we can forget about that now, we've left it too late and anyway there's no point in going in there unless we know we have the Market's Field. Which we don't because we can't afford it so unless we get that first we're wasting our time. Gael's idea is one I'd support on paper but at this moment in time it's a dream alas...

Fr. Joe
27/02/2003, 12:59 AM
Thomond would be a good short term answer to our problem i.e stadium wise and location not too bad but them rugby f*ckers would only mock us and downgrade us all the time. With the AIL generating less and less money for clubs each year now is the chance to move in on Thomond as Shannon could do with the extra Euros. The pitch mightn't suffer too bad either with summer soccer so it's worth looking into anyway. We should start up a campaign to stay away from Pike and move for Thomond.

JohnD
27/02/2003, 12:45 PM
Tomand Park sounds better than Pike to me as well. Safer parking and a roof to be covered under. Any news on the FAI meeting yesterday ?

John:confused:

deise deserter
28/02/2003, 9:06 AM
Forget about the rugby clique putting us down. Check out the post put up earlier by Lims Fan - those guys in Pike are helping out us poor unfortunate losers!! Limerick FC seemingly doesn't have the respect of other soccer teams in the city, I think rugby teams are the last of our worries.:mad:

sadloserkid
28/02/2003, 9:29 AM
Originally posted by deise deserter
Forget about the rugby clique putting us down. Check out the post put up earlier by Lims Fan - those guys in Pike are helping out us poor unfortunate losers!! Limerick FC seemingly doesn't have the respect of other soccer teams in the city, I think rugby teams are the last of our worries.:mad:

Er Deise... no offence mate but you're talking through your a$$... Pike certainly aren't claiming to be helping us out of a jam, John O'Waffle from the Leader is doing his usual bad impersonation of somebody who writes for the church newsletter and he's using the word 'helps', not Pike. Pike actually seem quite keen on getting us in there and have been helpful and cordial thus far.

deise deserter
28/02/2003, 11:22 AM
I don't think you're getting the point at all SLK.

I am talking about the mentality that surrounds soccer in Limerick. The notion that a player moving from a Junior club to Limerick FC is quite often seen as a step-down for them. There is no want there - no regognition that Limerick FC would be a step-up. The two of us have had this discussion manys a time. The fact that you choose to see journalistic conspiracy as opposed to an opinion that you have openly expressed is a little too pat for my taste.

sadloserkid
28/02/2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by deise deserter
Limerick FC seemingly doesn't have the respect of other soccer teams in the city,

You're a bit confused Deise. You're not making a point, just trying to ingratiate yourself with diehards by making some controversial comments. You're wrong here, actually wrong. Pike have not talked about 'helping poor Limerick' and everybody but you here sees that. Pike have always been open with Limerick. The original post by Lims Fan is slamming John O'Waffle - that's all. Gael353 joins in. You get half an idea what they're talking about and decide to join in. They're not yelling about Pike. They're yelling at The Limerick Leader. Even though I agree that junior football in the city is generally sceptical of Limerick FC this stems from the last couple of decades of mismanagment that the club is only now attempting to tackle. And the article in the Leader doesn't prove a thing! Also you're not in the classroom now, I never mentioned a journalistic conspiracy at all so stop trying to finish my sentences for me. We have an incompetent journalist here whose work is being picked up wrongly by people who don't know any better. That's all.