View Full Version : Patrick Kohlmann

Pages : [1] 2

bwagner
30/05/2007, 4:19 PM
Whats the story with this fella?
Does he get a game over in Germany

superfrank
30/05/2007, 7:28 PM
He's definitely not anywhere near the Borussia first team last season.

Irish_Praha
30/05/2007, 7:33 PM
He's 24 now and his contract is up this year, he's been on their books for years but hasn't made any real progress towards the 1st team. It says he plays left defence on the link below, looks like LB according to the diagram.
http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/spieler/2169/patrickkohlmann/profil.html

Irish_Praha
30/05/2007, 7:38 PM
Just found this from the the 2005-2006 season and he only got a few games with the Dortmund second team and picked up a yellow card in the majority of his games. Maybe he's a LCB not a LFB
http://www.fussballdaten.de/spieler/kohlmannpatrick/2005/

eirebhoy
30/05/2007, 10:17 PM
Just the 1 game for the 1st team, going off with a serious injury in the first half.

http://www.fussballdaten.de/bundesliga/2005/13/klautern-dortmund/

bwagner
31/05/2007, 8:13 AM
Thanks fellas

ifk101
31/05/2007, 8:59 AM
... whilst on the subject of continental born players that are eligible to play for us, Örebro SK in the Swedish league have two players in their squad with an Irish daddy.

RogerMilla
31/05/2007, 9:05 AM
isnt he the manger IFK or else managing elsewhere

ifk101
31/05/2007, 9:07 AM
isnt he the manger IFK or else managing elsewhere

Aye - their daddy (from Carlow) is the team's manager.

RogerMilla
31/05/2007, 9:43 AM
didnt realise kohlmann was that old , reserve team football not too high, are dortmund reserves in the regional liga i wonder

superfrank
31/05/2007, 9:44 AM
didnt realise kohlmann was that old , reserve team football not too high, are dortmund reserves in the regional liga i wonder
They'd be no higher than the Regional North. The reserve teams can't be promoted into the second division.

RogerMilla
31/05/2007, 9:58 AM
hi frank , i know that but i wonder are they even that high ??
time to check http://www.kicker.de

RogerMilla
31/05/2007, 9:59 AM
yeah there they are regional liga nord

geysir
31/05/2007, 10:47 AM
... whilst on the subject of continental born players that are eligible to play for us, Örebro SK in the Swedish league have two players in their squad with an Irish daddy.

:)
Considering results between the El And the Swedes,
if there are any straws left, the mere consideration of eligible players from the Swedish league would burn the last of them for eternity.

Bluebeard
31/05/2007, 12:09 PM
:)
Considering results between the El And the Swedes,
if there are any straws left, the mere consideration of eligible players from the Swedish league would burn the last of them for eternity.

Expected headline for the Herald tonight:
"Staunton travels to Sweden on Scouting Mission"

Paulie
31/05/2007, 12:33 PM
They'd be no higher than the Regional North. The reserve teams can't be promoted into the second division.

Going on one or two of the recent call ups this is a more than high enough standard to play for us. In fact if anything he's over qualified.

Shelsman
31/05/2007, 12:57 PM
There was also an guy with Irish parents who played for one of the Ireland underage teams when he was with Sampdoria -anyone hear of him since?

SaucyJack
31/05/2007, 1:01 PM

and on the Wikipedia Orebro page, there are tricolours next to the Walker brothers on the squad list, one's a midfielder, the other a striker...says they've played for Swedish under-age teams, but you never know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96rebro_SK

SaucyJack
31/05/2007, 1:05 PM
There was also an guy with Irish parents who played for one of the Ireland underage teams when he was with Sampdoria -anyone hear of him since?

Simon Harlow, Irish father, Italian mother, don't believe he even made it to the reserves.

danonion
31/05/2007, 9:31 PM
what about that dutch fella with the really irish name who played for holland underage and McCaffrey tried to coax over to us?

Dodge
01/06/2007, 12:10 AM
Barry Maguire. PLayed in the last Ireland v HOlland u18 game that was played in Richmond Park

Torn-Ado
03/06/2007, 2:55 PM

Orebro are a tiny club that just got promoted. They'll be heading back down to the superetten again this season. They would be on a par with EL division one IMO.

I did read in a Swedish paper that James Keene, a English lad who moved from Portsmouth who plays with Elfsborg (Swedish champions) was been looked at about Irish connections.

ifk101
03/06/2007, 3:37 PM
Orebro are a tiny club that just got promoted. They'll be heading back down to the superetten again this season. They would be on a par with EL division one IMO.

Depends on how you define tiny but Örebro are not tiny club by Swedish or Irish standards. Just look at their stadium. And considering that only one team will be relegated this year, I'd reckon Trelleborg or Brommapojkarna are favourites for relegation.

BTW James Keene isn't Irish. His great, great grandfather was though. :)

Torn-Ado
05/06/2007, 3:24 PM
Depends on how you define tiny but Örebro are not tiny club by Swedish or Irish standards. Just look at their stadium. And considering that only one team will be relegated this year, I'd reckon Trelleborg or Brommapojkarna are favourites for relegation.

BTW James Keene isn't Irish. His great, great grandfather was though. :)

I'd still be confident of any EL premier side team beating them.

backstothewall
28/01/2010, 10:41 PM
If there is already a thread on Patrick I apologise. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Given our derth of options at left back perhaps it is time for him to come back into consideration. He is playing regularly for Union Berlin in the 2. Bundesliga (German version of the Championship), and has just got a new 3 year contract according to the herald...

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/foley-flying-the-flag-highest-on-the-continent-2016820.html

Everything else i can find on him is in German (naturally enough), but I doubt he got a new contract for playing badly.

irishfan86
28/01/2010, 10:57 PM
I'm not against giving him a chance, but not at the expense of Stephen Ward who I feel deserves a chance to make that his spot for the next campaign or two.

Now if they're both brought into the squad, and Kohlmann performs better, great, but if only one of them is going to be selected, I'd rather it be Stephen Ward.

Predator
28/01/2010, 11:23 PM
I only knew about this boy from Championship/Football Manager back in the day.

I haven't heard anything about him in real life, nor have I seen him play. I'm in agreement with irishfan though. We have better options currently, playing in a better league.

Kingdom
29/01/2010, 12:36 AM
Fair play to the kid. He was with Dortmund for years without ever getting a real go of first team football, despite being a constant inclusion in our underage squads. Nice to see him do well, and tbf, if he starts getting a run in die bundesliga, then he'd be well worth a call up.

Nagger
29/01/2010, 6:48 AM
I only knew about this boy from Championship/Football Manager back in the day.

Same here. He was really crap in the game. And i dont think he is good enough for international football in reall life

dr_peepee
29/01/2010, 8:48 AM
I'm not against giving him a chance, but not at the expense of Stephen Ward who I feel deserves a chance to make that his spot for the next campaign or two.

Now if they're both brought into the squad, and Kohlmann performs better, great, but if only one of them is going to be selected, I'd rather it be Stephen Ward.

Is Kohlman not a centre half though??

twoenz
29/01/2010, 11:21 AM
I went to watch Union a few times over the last few years, when they were playing in the lower division, and the standard was Eircom League-esque.

They had a good start this year but have started to fade. It's a nice story that Patrick's getting game time, but there's no way he's good enough to get near the squad.

kev mcq
29/01/2010, 3:57 PM
If there is already a thread on Patrick I apologise. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Given our derth of options at left back perhaps it is time for him to come back into consideration. He is playing regularly for Union Berlin in the 2. Bundesliga (German version of the Championship), and has just got a new 3 year contract according to the herald...

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/foley-flying-the-flag-highest-on-the-continent-2016820.html

Everything else i can find on him is in German (naturally enough), but I doubt he got a new contract for playing badly.

Joe Lapira is tearing it up in Norway too. I think trap should call these two players up against Brazil.

Brendan 82
29/01/2010, 4:24 PM
Joe Lapira is tearing it up in Norway too. I think trap should call these two players up against Brazil.

Doutcha Stan!

Mayo Red
29/01/2010, 5:59 PM
Joe Lapira is tearing it up in Norway too.

I presume you're referring to his party lifestyle because he's no international footballer!!;)

backstothewall
30/01/2010, 6:16 PM
Is Kohlman not a centre half though??

According to transfermarkt.de he is a fullback. (Great website btw, best online database of footballers I've seen)

http://www.transfermarkt.de/en/spieler/2169/patrick-kohlmann/profil.html

irishultra
30/01/2010, 6:55 PM
hes left back i should know he captained my union berlin team in fm

superfrank
13/08/2010, 3:08 PM
There's an interview with him up on Extratime:

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4105/

DannyInvincible
13/08/2010, 7:08 PM
From the piece:

With his career on an upward curve with a team in the hunt for even more success, Kohlmann has not cast aside his dreams of returning to the Republic of Ireland set-up.

"It would be a big dream for me. To play for Ireland is still the dream."

How realistic would this be considering Union Berlin are playing in the second tier of German football now and bearing in mind that Kohlmann is left-footed? Admittedly, I haven't a notion what the standard of football in the 2nd Bundesliga is like.

Barry Maguire. PLayed in the last Ireland v HOlland u18 game that was played in Richmond Park

Anyone know the story with Maguire these days?

irishfan86
13/08/2010, 7:23 PM
Given our left-full situation, he probably should have been looked at years ago. Surprised he didn't get a look in during the Stan era since everyone else did.

Maybe I'm generalizing, but you'd assume playing in the German league that he'd have a decent tactical awareness and be technically proficient.

It's hard to imagine him being a worse option than Killer. He's 27 which means a lot of managers would write him off, but Trap has shown with the likes of Lawrence and Green that he's willing to give more mature players a shot if he feels they can bring something to the table.

If there's any position a player could sneak in, it's left-full, as Killer is not a left-full and is past his best before date, while Cunningham looks like he's got potential but may be a little raw. Kohlmann could offer a sort of stop-gap for a campaign if he was given the call and deemed capable.

Irish_Praha
13/08/2010, 7:50 PM
Lads, I can't believe this guy is being suggested again. He's playing at a sh!te level. It would be like picking someone from league 1 in England. Seriously Ian Harte or Mark Kennedy would be even better options if you want someone to fill in for a year or two before we find someone else. Lots of other better options too ; like Kilbane :P

TrapAPony
13/08/2010, 9:34 PM
Cunningham and Ward are good enough options at left back. There is no way we should be thinking about calling up someone from the German second division.

tetsujin1979
14/08/2010, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't discount Kolhmann just yet
Lets not forget, Cunningham (despite his promise) has yet to start for his club, or country, at competitive level.

Closed Account
14/08/2010, 3:25 AM
I wouldn't discount Kolhmann just yet
Lets not forget, Cunningham (despite his promise) has yet to start for his club, or country, at competitive level.
:) Strange

First of all, this thread, quite rightly was rehashed because extratime.ie(great website) had an interview with Kohlmann.
Nobody was asking for him to be called up. Two posts speculated about his inclusion in future Irish squads, hardly a witchhunt(Irish Praha, I'm looking at you because of an over the top response). I sometimes wonder if people actually can see the difference between acknowledgement and promotion.(TrapAPony).
Did you hear abour Anto Flood by the way? Call him up!

Anyway the :) at the start was because I personally think Kohlmann can be discounted. Respectfully tetsujin1979, whether or not Cunningham, nay any player is good enough for the senior panel, shouldn't be a reason to shoehorn anyone into the team. Kohlmann never made it.
And whilst I'm here, without any professional judgement, Stephen Ward has been watched and overlooked by Trapattoni and by proxy isn't good enough for Ireland. It's understandable, he started his career at the other end of the field. I'd love if we all agree over the same things but then this place wouldn't be so much fun. Discuss. lol

rebelmusic
14/08/2010, 9:09 AM
I think, in a pretty important note, McCarthy has moved Ward back into a striking position. He ended last season that way and has done so in pre-season i believe. If he's not playing at club for left-back i'd forget about him. We need someone who's primary position is there, Cunningham fits the bill

superfrank
14/08/2010, 12:22 PM
I don't see the harm in calling up any player, regardless of what level they play at, for a friendly to try them out in. That's what friendlies are for, to try things out. If any player comes in for a friendly and does badly, well, at least it was a non-competitive game. What has been lost?

I haven't seen Kohlmann play so I can't push him for inclusion but I think it's unfair to dismiss a player when he plays at a level that most people here are assuming is bad.

Colbert Report
14/08/2010, 1:03 PM
Stephen Ward is a terrible left-back, I saw him play against Liverpool last season. He was given the run around by Benayoun and ended up getting sent off. Total waste of space, at least as a left back. Let's see how he does as a striker.

Charlie Darwin
14/08/2010, 2:35 PM
Judging players on the basis of one game? How scientific.

Colbert Report
14/08/2010, 3:01 PM
I saw him play lots last season, he was sh!te every time. There's a reason Trap doesn't rate him, especially when you consider left back is our biggest weakness.

Charlie Darwin
14/08/2010, 3:05 PM
Looked great anytime I saw him. Had a stormer against Man Utd.

Colbert Report
14/08/2010, 3:28 PM
He was terrible in the one match he played against Manchester United, so much so that he was subbed off. Very rarely does a full back get subbed for tactical reasons. Manchester United won one nil if I remember correctly.