PDA

View Full Version : Cork City Marathon

shedite
30/05/2007, 12:07 PM
The Cork City Marathon returns this year after a 20+ year absence. It's on next Monday and I'm doing it in aid of Irish Cancer Society. No explanation needed really as to why I chose this charity - I think everyone knows someone who has been affected by cancer. If you would like to sponsor me, you can do so via the following link.

Cheers,
Shedite

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mark_cannings_event

jebus
30/05/2007, 12:12 PM
good on you shedite, whats the marathon route and where and what time is it going from?

shedite
30/05/2007, 1:53 PM
It starts off at 9am from Patrick Street. Out around Blackpool and down east towards the tunnel. Through the tunnel and back in along the marina. Then out past Turners Cross and over through Togher to Bishopstown, out to the guide dogs by Ballincollig and back in along the straight road.

It's my first marathon and would love to beat 3:30 but I reckon i'll be a little short of that, probably around 3:40

We'll see how it goes on the day

Risteard
30/05/2007, 2:17 PM
Have pretty much nothing to spare shedite but best of luck with it.
That's some distance.

razor
05/06/2007, 3:34 PM
Great Day in town yesterday, great crowd turned out to welcome the runners home.
Results here (http://www.sportsystems.net/files/ResultCork07all.pdf)
On the down side the coverage given by RTE last night was disgraceful.
5 seconds of a report versus a full report on a Ladies Fun Run in Dublin.

Bald Student
05/06/2007, 4:05 PM
It starts off at 9am from Patrick Street. Out around Blackpool and down east towards the tunnel. Through the tunnel and back in along the marina. Then out past Turners Cross and over through Togher to Bishopstown, out to the guide dogs by Ballincollig and back in along the straight road.

It's my first marathon and would love to beat 3:30 but I reckon i'll be a little short of that, probably around 3:40

We'll see how it goes on the day
How'd it go? That was some heat.
The STIG relay team finished in 5:29.

A face
05/06/2007, 4:12 PM
5 seconds of a report

Are you sure, i didn't hear anything about it, TV3 were crap aswell.

Fair play to Shedite, he was going great guns at the 4th water station anyway. Fair play to all that took part.

shedite
06/06/2007, 3:35 PM
Well I finished it in 4:10 anyway. I started out way too quickly. I should have toned it down when I saw the heat. I was at halfway in 1:46

After that I started getting stomach cramps. That Lucozade you gave me Face, I threw up outside musgrave park.

Finished the race anyway which was always a goal of mine. Guess I'm gonna have to do it again now to get a better time!

Cheers for the Lucozade! :D

John83
06/06/2007, 4:36 PM
How'd it go? That was some heat.
The STIG relay team finished in 5:29.
Lucky we had Student Mullet in reserve, or it'd have taken a bit longer!

pineapple stu
06/06/2007, 5:00 PM
1:09 for my 5.7 miles stint - was rather impressed seeing as I haven't run since two weeks of middle-distance training in first year in school.

Saw one poor lad finish the first leg (5.3 miles) and just collapse to the ground; didn't even have the energy to put his hands out to break his fall and bust his nose right open.

shedite
07/06/2007, 3:41 PM
I was just lookin through the results there and spotted that ex Cork City captain Declan Daly did the marathon in 3:33. That's some goin!

Sligo Hornet
08/06/2007, 12:48 PM
Well I finished it in 4:10 anyway. I started out way too quickly. I should have toned it down when I saw the heat. I was at halfway in 1:46

After that I started getting stomach cramps. That Lucozade you gave me Face, I threw up outside musgrave park.

Finished the race anyway which was always a goal of mine. Guess I'm gonna have to do it again now to get a better time!

Well done Shedite!!

I remember my first Full Marathon....did the same as you, coasting the first half in identical time to you, then finished in 3hours 54min.....it bloody hurt!!:eek:

I learnt from that, and my next one was London, where I did the first half much slower, ending up crossing the line in 3hours 24 mins!:)

Good luck with your next one!

A face
09/06/2007, 12:06 AM

Jebus ..... and it was isotonic and everything like !! :eek::p

Sorry 'bout that Shedite, fair play for doing it though.

A face
09/06/2007, 12:08 AM
I was just lookin through the results there and spotted that ex Cork City captain Declan Daly did the marathon in 3:33. That's some goin!

Terry Barrett, Anthony Buckley, Alan and Pat Kelly did it too. All seemed to be going great guns when they passed us.

Dodge
09/06/2007, 7:37 AM
On the down side the coverage given by RTE last night was disgraceful.
5 seconds of a report versus a full report on a Ladies Fun Run in Dublin.

In fairness far more people did that "fun run" and its also a higher standard of compeitive running too.

Its the biggest day in the calander for most charities in ireland

John83
11/06/2007, 11:20 AM
In fairness far more people did that "fun run" and its also a higher standard of compeitive running too.

Its the biggest day in the calander for most charities in ireland
The fun run is 10k. I ran 9k for just my leg of the marathon, and I'm a fat *******. To call 10k a mini-marathon spits on the memory of Pheidippides.

Dodge
11/06/2007, 11:39 AM
Which, I'm sure we can all agree, is far more important than earning millions of euros for 100s of charities

Peadar
11/06/2007, 11:43 AM
Which, I'm sure we can all agree, is far more important than earning millions of euros for 100s of charities

I get the impression that Dodge is suggesting, no money was raised by the Cork City Marathon?
I'm sure there are plenty who could correct him!

noby
11/06/2007, 12:01 PM
Really? I didn't get that impression. Yes, the Cork City possibly deserved some more media attention, but don't take it out on the mini-marathon.

Dodge
11/06/2007, 12:06 PM
I get the impression that Dodge is suggesting, no money was raised by the Cork City Marathon?
I'm sure there are plenty who could correct him!

:rolleyes:

Not at all. Fair play to anybody who did it, and I hope millions were raised for variopus charities.

I just don't see how anybody say that it was a "disgrace" a race with 1,355 finishers get less coverage than an established race featuring 40,000 runners

Peadar
11/06/2007, 12:36 PM
I just don't see how anybody say that it was a "disgrace" a race with 1,355 finishers get less coverage than an established race featuring 40,000 runners

Nice bit of marketing there.

I'll adjust it for you though.
A Marathon, with 1,355 finishers, got less coverage than a fun run, with 40,000 starters.

fosterdollar
11/06/2007, 12:46 PM
Nice bit of marketing there.

I'll adjust it for you though.
A Marathon, with 1,355 finishers, got less coverage than a fun run, with 40,000 starters.

Or to deal with the real issue:

A race in Cork, with 1,355 finishers, got less coverage than a race in dublin, with 40,000 starters.

OneRedArmy
11/06/2007, 12:53 PM
Run Rock Solid?

Bald Student
11/06/2007, 1:04 PM
The fun run is 10k. I ran 9k for just my leg of the marathon, and I'm a fat *******. To call 10k a mini-marathon spits on the memory of Pheidippides.Come off it, we spent all weekend telling people we were running the Cork Marathon, leaving out the word 'relay' whenever we could.

It's my opinion, and I'm sure Pheidippides would agree with me, that anyone who doesn't run so fast that they die at the end of the race spits on his memory.

Peadar
11/06/2007, 2:13 PM
Or to deal with the real issue:

A race in Cork, with 1,355 finishers, got less coverage than a race in dublin, with 40,000 starters.

I'd like to point out that the event in Dublin, wasn't a "race".

Dodge
11/06/2007, 2:15 PM
I'd like to point out that the event in Dublin, wasn't a "race".

Yes it was. The winner of the race has raced in the olympics and the "elite" standard is quite decent.

The winner of the men's marathon in Cork, on the other hand, wouldn't even qualify for the women's olympics. A very poor standard

Peadar
11/06/2007, 3:16 PM
The winner of the race has raced in the olympics and the "elite" standard is quite decent.

Thierry Henry has kicked a ball around his local park, does that make it the World Cup Final? :confused:

Dodge
11/06/2007, 3:19 PM
Thierry Henry has kicked a ball around his local park, does that make it the World Cup Final? :confused:

When the seagulls... follow the trawler... it's because they think... sardines will be thrown into the sea

razor
12/06/2007, 10:53 AM
Yes, the Cork City possibly deserved some more media attention, but don't take it out on the mini-marathon.I'm not begrudging the fun run its report but the marathon in Cork could have at least had a similar airtime.
I was comparing the 2 because they appeared on the same sports bulletin.
The 4,000 people that participated in Cork surely deserved more coverage.

Dodge
12/06/2007, 11:24 AM
I'm not begrudging the fun run its report but the marathon in Cork could have at least had a similar airtime.
I was comparing the 2 because they appeared on the same sports bulletin.
The 4,000 people that participated in Cork surely deserved more coverage.

Why? And it wasn't only a fun run

razor
12/06/2007, 2:42 PM
Why?Because its a marathon, a major sporting event, the first in Cork since 1986 and it deserved more than the 5 seconds it received.

And it wasn't only a fun runfor 99.9% of those ladies thats all it was.

Dodge
12/06/2007, 2:44 PM
Because its a marathon, a major sporting event, the first in Cork since 1986 and it deserved more than the 5 seconds it received.

Sorry, thought you meant it merited more than the biggest race in Ireland. Yes it deserved more coverage, no it didn't deserve more than the Womens mini marathon

for 99.9% of those ladies thats all it was.
:rolleyes:

razor
12/06/2007, 2:51 PM
Sorry, thought you meant it merited more than the biggest race in Ireland. Yes it deserved more coverage, no it didn't deserve more than the Womens mini marathonAs I said previously, I used the ladies fun run as an example because it was in the same sports bulletin, I never said it deserved more coverage than it.