PDA

View Full Version : Longford V United

Tir Oilean
28/05/2007, 7:16 PM
It looks pretty dull at the moment so I'm goin for a 1-1 draw. Wasnt there on Fri but hope that we are not relying on reilly cooke or McKenna theyre not Premier division quality yet. Any word on why foley was in the crowd and not on the pitch?

corbyeire
28/05/2007, 8:14 PM
there doesnt seem to be any reason given on foley yet - wont be too disappointed with mckenna starting - in fairness to him - hes up for it and to be honest showing more composure than some of the more senior players - who are beginning to get the yips

eamo1
28/05/2007, 11:32 PM
i can only assume they were being rested for tomorrow night and friday but then they are pros now and shouldnt have to be rested that much.our first choice midfield should be back together tomorrow night i hope,i also hope he goes 3-5-2 and really goes for it,we can beat them.2-1 to utd.

Claret Murph
29/05/2007, 6:53 AM
I just have think we will be beaten 0-1 but I hope that I am wrong .

RonnieB
29/05/2007, 7:30 AM
I hope you arent!

gufct
29/05/2007, 8:45 AM
there doesnt seem to be any reason given on foley yet - wont be too disappointed with mckenna starting - in fairness to him - hes up for it and to be honest showing more composure than some of the more senior players - who are beginning to get the yips

Russell was Injured and Foley was rested for tonight I presume.Id have to disagree with ya on Liam he was all over the place on Friday compared to the performance he put in against UCD.

Claret Murph
29/05/2007, 10:36 AM
But looking on the positive side of things a lot will depend on Derek , if he has a good game he will be unstopable and he will murder the Longford defence . I think we will know after the first 10 minutes of the game .

Tir Oilean
29/05/2007, 6:50 PM
United 1-0 up O'Flynn peno after 2mins after an apparent dive from O'Brien. Claret you were spot on we knew within the first 2mins!!!!!!

Tir Oilean
29/05/2007, 6:53 PM
i can only assume they were being rested for tomorrow night and friday but then they are pros now and shouldnt have to be rested that much.our first choice midfield should be back together tomorrow night i hope,i also hope he goes 3-5-2 and really goes for it,we can beat them.2-1 to utd.

The letter seems to have taken focus off the report on the match. Russell had a thigh strain and wasnt to be risked by Cousins. Resting Foley is strange though seen as he is our best player IMO so far this season.

Tir Oilean
29/05/2007, 6:56 PM
Some team news James Tracey Foley and Russell in, Moran, McKenna, Reilly and Lester out. O'Flynn and Glynn start up front.

Tir Oilean
29/05/2007, 7:04 PM
2-0 Glynn on 18mins

Terry
29/05/2007, 7:06 PM
would be great to see glynn score tonight, would do he confidence the world of good.

Terry
29/05/2007, 7:12 PM
woo hoo

2-0

and its glynn !!!!!!

right if that works, it would be great to see Kerryman score tonight, would do his confidence the world of good. haha

EDIT: D'oh only seen Tir Oileans post now, Im running a bit slow tonight

gufcfan
29/05/2007, 7:23 PM
EDIT: D'oh only seen Tir Oileans post now, Im running a bit slow tonight

Dont feel too bad, im the eejit that thought the game was on friday and booked a half day...

A Phoenix
29/05/2007, 8:24 PM
3-0
a second from Glynn

DonO'Bate
29/05/2007, 11:40 PM
Just back from match in Longford. Our goalkeeper Gary Rogers was my man of the match without his agility we would have thrown away a 2-nil interval lead. Longford dominated the first 30 mins of the second half and were unlucky not to get a result. They hit the cross bar twice though a header and a long range effort which came down off the underside of the cross bar. Rogers pulled of many fine saves especially when he made a fabulous one handed save to claw away the ball from the top corner of the net.

The reason why we won was the change of formation to a more conventional 4-4-2 system with O'Flynn and Glynn upfront none of this 4-1-4-1-1-2-2 nonsense. Hats off to Tony Cousins for perserving with Derek Glynn he got his rewards tonight with two goals. His pace proved to much for the Longford central defence. His second goal was a sublime piece of finishing. Finally, we got a penalty which we didn't deserve when Derek took a tumble in the box, a bit like the one he got against Derry. Approx 125 United fans at the match, it is good to see families traveling to the away games. Roll on St. Pat's

gilberto_eire
30/05/2007, 1:07 AM
Just back from match in Longford. Our goalkeeper Gary Rogers was my man of the match without his agility we would have thrown away a 2-nil interval lead. Longford dominated the first 30 mins of the second half and were unlucky not to get a result. They hit the cross bar twice though a header and a long range effort which came down off the underside of the cross bar. Rogers pulled of many fine saves especially when he made a fabulous one handed save to claw away the ball from the top corner of the net.

The reason why we won was the change of formation to a more conventional 4-4-2 system with O'Flynn and Glynn upfront none of this 4-1-4-1-1-2-2 nonsense. Hats off to Tony Cousins for perserving with Derek Glynn he got his rewards tonight with two goals. His pace proved to much for the Longford central defence. His second goal was a sublime piece of finishing. Finally, we got a penalty which we didn't deserve when Derek took a tumble in the box, a bit like the one he got against Derry. Approx 125 United fans at the match, it is good to see families traveling to the away games. Roll on St. Pat's

i wouldnt agree with saying it was the same as the derry pen!!..... it was a clear cut(ronaldo) dive tonight and i was shocked it was given.... even the way he fell was funny!!..... glynn has some pace and he showed it against UCD too when he got through two of them before he was fouled... his two goals tonight were kind of the same just more out and with more to do....(no more moran)

Claret Murph
30/05/2007, 6:56 AM
Right where to begin
The start it took us just under 2 minutes to score again Derek when't on a run into the box and and was just clipped by the defender the ref had a look and the Steve stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way Que madness in the stands .
Now in the first half I don't think I have seen United play any better 4-4-2 was working really well Glynn's speed was giving their defence a hard time of it and then of course he got around behind them again rounded the keeper and put the ball into the back of the net with a defender on the line . We were making chances Glynn had a free header from a corner and a one on one with the keeper which just cleared the bar , we should have been at least 3 up by half time we were in total control when the ref blew for half time .
So down for a quick cup of crap coffee at the Londford bar and back to the stands for the second half .
Now I am sure you have heard the phrase it was a game of two halfs well that just about summed it up as Longford took the field a good 5 minutes before we did not much happeded in the first 10 minutes but it all was to change with Longford playing 3 up front . They hit the bar from a corner ( set peices again ) and everything included the kitchen sink headed our way they had 3 or four good chances and Rodgers pulled off 2 or 3 fantastic saves they hit they bar again we were all over the place at the back Russell and Murphy were taken off both didn't look that fit but fair play to them to keep going as long as the did . A few more chances were had at either end then Glynn outpaces the defence AGAIN and scored a very good goal and that was that .
Now if Longford would have scored in that 25 minute spell my report would have been somewhat different as we may not have left with 3 points , still in a game of at least 20 chances for both teams we took 3 of ours and the rest is for the record books . It's going to be a long day as I only have had 4 hours sleep but I am still smiling .

Tir Oilean
30/05/2007, 8:50 AM
Makes you wonder where we would be in the league if we played 4-4-2 earlier in the season. Think we gave too much respect to our opponents early n in the campaign. Great 3pts even though it appears we were under the kosh for a long period. Good for Derek Glynn and the team as there is confidence there now, its our first 3 goal victory of the season, lets hope we dish out more of the same to Waterford and Sligo in ths series.

MyTown
30/05/2007, 8:56 AM
Fair play DonOBate & Claret have given fairly good accounts of the evenings entertainment in my view.

First Half Brilliant, second half, squeaky bum time. Rogers and the woodwork combined to deny Longford 4 goals, and their front man failed to connect with at least two other gilt edged opportunities, much to the disgust of the locals around me, and Wes and Regi cleared off the line when Gary came to the edge of the area and mistimed the clearance.

The penalty decision was disgraceful in my view, and I have to have some sypmathy for Longford. As we well know, when things are going against you, there seems to be a domino effect.

I think the Flansiro is a great ground. Its a pity they don't have the catchment population to keep them going. Nothing went right for them, although the red haired sub who came on for the last 10 minutes had the measure of both Derek and Barry, eventhough Derek must have been flattened by then, given his best performance in a United shirt. He took his two goals brilliantly.

Murphy and Russell coming off really exposed us in the middle. I thought Ciaran Foley was floundering for the lack of support there. Well done to Russell and O'Flynn for acknowledging the travelling support as they were being substituted. Well done especially to Wes, Gary and Liam McKenna for going out of their way to do the same at the end.

As DoB noted it was great to see families in attendance, and most of the home support seemed to be family oriented as well - so I hope they have a future.

Great to see the legendary Eamon 'Chick' Deacy there. I knew the omens were good once I bumped into him.

You can't ask more of the lads than to get the 3 points - so well done to them all.

Giving Pats something to think about on Friday night would be fantastic.

gufct
30/05/2007, 9:33 AM
Gary Rogers was outstanding last night and his one handed save was as good as I have seen anywhere.Russeler worked his socks off but Tony was right to take him off as he was sailing too close to the wind and was very lucky not to get a second yellow before he was pulled ashore.

Murphs never really got into the game and DOB bar his "fall" had a poor game.The big plus was Derek Glynn who has been rewarded for his hard work with 2 good goals particularly the secon one.Roll on Friday but more importantly the bottom has really tightened up and were only 2 points off sligo and even Derry are only six ahead.

Great Support last night over 150 galway people in a crowd of barely 400. Good luck to Longford but id say they will be lucky to survive as a club never mind staying in the Premier.

GuisaSaigon
30/05/2007, 9:55 AM
Great Support last night

Raucous according to the star :cool:

RonnieB
30/05/2007, 10:29 AM
Aye fair play ye made good noise and a few funny songs ;) Our defending was shambolic. A long season left yet and I cant see our crowds getting better. Dark days but there have been amazing highs over the years and now it is time for the lows. Will still be there hail, rain or Apocolypse :D

Tir Oilean
30/05/2007, 10:34 AM
Raucous..... was that us or Longford?! Great to hear of such a large travelling support, especially seeing as we havet had such great haul of points from the opening series. It's replaced Athlone as one of our nearest destiations. I bet its a damn sight more pleasant than going to Athlone!

Claret Murph
30/05/2007, 11:45 AM
But looking on the positive side of things a lot will depend on Derek , if he has a good game he will be unstopable and he will murder the Longford defence . I think we will know after the first 10 minutes of the game .

You know sometimes I wonder as I should have said first two minutes :)

Claret Murph
30/05/2007, 11:58 AM
One thing is for sure Tir oilean no one will ever need to go back to St Mels park again thanks for sure .

galwaygirl
30/05/2007, 11:59 AM
Dark days ....

Especially when the floodlights arent turned on :eek::D

Well done to Gary Rogers last nite, definitely man of the match for me. I know i've doubted him in the past but his display last nite was brilliant. Delighted for Derek G as well, hopefully those 2 goals have boosted his confidence now and there'll be plenty more to come.

Tir Oilean
30/05/2007, 1:03 PM
One thing is for sure Tir oilean no one will ever need to go back to St Mels park again thanks for sure .

You'd never know Claret we could meet them in the FAI Cup sometime... but at least Smel's is no more!

corbyeire
30/05/2007, 2:58 PM
rogers performance has swung me - i had my doubts - but 2 of the saves were amazing

in fairness to us the singing for the first half was amazing - it was great to see flynn giving out to the others and egging them on

longfords ground is really nice - could do with a chipper - and maybe 1000 more fans - its a pity

RonnieB
30/05/2007, 4:24 PM
Chipper is normally there but never for the weeknight games. As for the 1000 more fans they used to be there but have since deserted!

scotsbeer
31/05/2007, 1:53 PM
one of the better grounds in the el. pity the league are losing facilities like that. as for the match, there is no doubt that rogers was MOTM notwithstanding glyns two goals. everyone played their part in what was a must win for us. the players knew that as well. no team will evr dominate a wmatch for the whole 90 mins but longfords spell at the start of the second half seemed to go on for ever. rogers 3 or 4 brilliant saves weighed up with the bit of luck we got ( soft penalty / and woodwork twice saving us.
have to mention an absolutely brilliant pass murphs made out to DOB in the second half. DOB was a wee bit unlucky with his effort just shading the post.
all games are tough form now on so theres no popint in thinking st pats will be any tougher than some of the games we have already had. we shouldnt be thinking about maybe getting a point . that should be our minimum objective. theres no point in just hoping for a point. a bit of belief from the fans and this should feed through to the players. we will hit a bit of form at some point i believe so why not starting from now after the 3 dissapointments against waterford. ucd and bohs.
as for the fai cup, if we do get an away draw then any team nearby would be ideal as it will be an opportunity for us to take a very good away support. any team at home would be ideal as the old cliche goes
see ye all in richmond park