PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about Dolans position

pete
21/02/2003, 6:06 PM
Dunno the exact details of the contract yet but this team/club/commercial manager thing sounds dodgy to start with.

While Dolan was a commercial success at Pats his ultimate downfall there was possibly the combination of team & copmmercial jobs?

I think it be good if Dolan have advise 'n stuff on commercial matters but i'd much prefer he just have an official footballing title.

patsh
21/02/2003, 6:17 PM
You have a good point there, pete.
As I said on another thread, I hope we have not got a dictator on our hands, who wants to oversee every tiny thing.
I hope he concentrates on the team first of all, and during the days that he has time, consult and advise on commercial matters.
I reckon a lot may depend on whether Wallace invests money or not.
I saw the guy (Wallace) in the flesh for the first time today and to be honest he looks to be a right nutter !:D

Once Lennox is still ultimately in charge though, I'd feel ok, as he has proved to be totally on the ball since taking over.

I can't wait for the season to start though, as I think the interest, at least for awhile, is going to be HUGE !
Dolan is a natural publicity machine (something you have already pointed out), and just watching the amount of people who recognised and went over and wished him well up the Mardyke today will add a good few hundred on the gate come the start of the season.

Colm
21/02/2003, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

I hope we have not got a dictator on our hands, who wants to oversee every tiny thing. I hope we do. Dolan and Lennox are the dream combination.
Dolan should oversee every tiny thing, he knows what he is doing unlike certain other muppets within our club. He should have complete power over everyone in the club... on and off the field, the one and only person he should have to answer to is Brian Lennox.

I have always liked Pat Dolan and was very impressed with him at the press conference today. I believe he has what it takes to make our club great.

patsh
21/02/2003, 6:35 PM
I half agree with you Colm, but what I was getting at is that I hope he does not get bogged done in details.
There are important things and trivial things in the club.
Important: Team training, preparation, planning, tactics, and commercial planning like making sure money is coming in, improving sales in the club shop, future direction of the club etc.

Trivial: going to the program printers, checking the number of stewards etc.
Like on the night of a game, I want Dolan's mind on the game, not making sure there are enough shirts in the club shop or that the mascots have arrived on time.

I just want the man to be able to delegate those jobs that he should delegate, and not be a dictator in that sense.

Colm
21/02/2003, 6:49 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

Important: Team training, preparation, planning, tactics, and commercial planning like making sure money is coming in, improving sales in the club shop, future direction of the club etc.
Yeah, exactly. These are the things he should have responsibility for. I believe he will be very good on the commercial side and that he will ensure that the two individuals currrently running that side of things either get their act together or simply get out. Pat likes to think big and he wont stand for a video shop sponsoring a game or an electrician having an advertising hoarding. He knows we need to go after the big fish, the companies who have substantial amounts of dosh which will benefit CCFC.

Ruairi
21/02/2003, 9:52 PM
Just a thought...

Dolan was quoted in de paper today as saying he was "headhunted" for the job, which would leave ya to believe he didn't formally apply for it. Rico didn't apply for it, and he wasn't "headhunted", so is it safe to assume that Lennox just didn't want Rico at the Cross??

One for the conspiracy theorists...

patsh
22/02/2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Ruairi
so is it safe to assume that Lennox just didn't want Rico at the Cross??

You could assume that all right....;)

Whats happening about the general Manager position?
Are City still going to take on someone for this?

patsh
22/02/2003, 10:46 AM
from 11aside
Wallace no to Cork investment

Wealthy builder Mick Wallace, who had been rumoured to be lining up a significant investment in Cork City after the appointment of his close associate Pat Dolan to manager on Friday, has ruled out a financial input into the Turners Cross club.

Prior to Dolan’s departure from St Patrick’s Athletic on Thursday, reports had suggested that Wallace would invest in the Richmond Park club - but only if Dolan stayed on at the SuperSaints.

And when Dolan opted to sever his close ties with the Inchicore club and make the big move to Cork City, speculation grew that the Leesiders could be about to benefit from Wallace’s wallet.

That intensified on Friday, when Wallace appeared alongside Dolan at a press conference at Guinness House.

But the builder insists that any links with Cork City will, for the moment at least, be restricted to footballing matters, and that he still has an agreement to invest in St Pats - although he hinted that any investment in the Saints would not be to the same scale as if Dolan was still at the helm.

He said: "St Pats are a club in need of financial help and I have an affiliation with them. I like the people at Inchicore, because I do a lot of work there.

"I was interested in them when Pat was there, because he’s an intelligent and honest guy who I can relate to. There is not the same interest without him."

Ruling out an immediate investment in Cork, he continued: "City are in a fantastic position - they are the best-supported team in the country. They’re in a good position. I don’t think they even need the money."

cfcgirl
22/02/2003, 10:48 AM
I THINK DOLAN WAS GIVING BOTH HE WAS GIVING A LOT OF POWER FOR OFF THE FIELD MATTERS AS WELL AS ON THE FIELD MATTERS.

Éanna
22/02/2003, 12:20 PM
dolan said that while he would be looking after of the field stuff as well, it wouldn't mean city were not going to appoint a general manager as well (Irish Times)

Colm
22/02/2003, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi

so is it safe to assume that Lennox just didn't want Rico at the Cross??

Yes.

Dricky
24/02/2003, 10:05 AM
I think Dolans downfall was his persitence last season to get medals for his team after Shels had been awarded the title, this lost him face with the Pats fans, the reg f up was put down to him but lets face it, as love of el goes we got a great man, we have someone who can get the results and wants full time football, I hope Lennox got the man he wanted, Good Luck Pat and wlecome to the PRof C

Pablo
24/02/2003, 10:41 AM
i for one would be very worried if this wallace guy was involved with footballing matters. he's a builder for gods sake

how can he invest in Pats AND be involved with City?

Gary
24/02/2003, 10:55 AM
Id be far more worried if he invested with us. €500k is alot to invest. How much would he want? What if Dolan wanted to buy up some shares? They could very easily shaft Lennox the 2 of them.

And

for one would be very worried if this wallace guy was involved with footballing matters. he's a builder for gods sake

He is involved with alot of youth level football in Wexford. So what if he is a builder. Sure what was Dave Barry but a plumber, and apparently a good one. He wasnt so bad a footy manager either.

Pablo
24/02/2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by GWA

He is involved with alot of youth level football in Wexford.

:rolleyes:

i rest my case

niamh
24/02/2003, 5:21 PM
Up here in Dubland people have been telling me how great PD will be for the club, but I have my doubts, particularly as he seems to like to control many aspects of the club.
He will get things moving on the commercial side, but his main concern should be the team.
De Sunday Indo yesterday reckoned he's a great man with the recommendations of Jackie Charlton and Brian Kerr on his cv (for his playing skills). It was such a puff piece.
I wonder how our journos will get on the new man and if they will be as sweet on him as a certain Corkonian.