PDA

View Full Version : Coward of the the county

Calcio Jack
28/05/2007, 7:47 AM
The award for most cowardly performance has to go to McDowell.... the spped at which he walked away for me summed up why he wasn't fit to hold any office... As a party leader he should of had the decency to at least inform his coleages first that he was resigning...but no instead like a spoilt 3 year old throwing a tantrum because he didn't get his way he ran away... the man deserves nothing but contempt.

Lionel Ritchie
28/05/2007, 10:08 AM
The award for most cowardly performance has to go to McDowell.... the spped at which he walked away for me summed up why he wasn't fit to hold any office... As a party leader he should of had the decency to at least inform his coleages first that he was resigning...but no instead like a spoilt 3 year old throwing a tantrum because he didn't get his way he ran away... the man deserves nothing but contempt.

I dunno Jack ...these are fairly stressful affairs. He also had a least one of his kids with him (bad idea IMO) and was taking dogs abuse from SF knuckledraggers.

He shouldn't have resigned on the spot -which I agree is an excercise in dummy-spitting -but rather than contempt I'll give him the benefit of a doubt due to the emotionally charged nature of the situation.

Macy
28/05/2007, 10:13 AM
I dunno Jack ...these are fairly stressful affairs. He also had a least one of his kids with him (bad idea IMO) and was taking dogs abuse from SF knuckledraggers.
Sure he left the kids behind in his haste to get away from the RDS :rolleyes:

Calcio Jack
28/05/2007, 10:28 AM

He shouldn't have resigned on the spot -which I agree is an excercise in dummy-spitting -but rather than contempt I'll give him the benefit of a doubt due to the emotionally charged nature of the situation.

Exactly my point about him..not fit to be a leader because "under stress" he panicked.

Erstwhile Bóz
28/05/2007, 10:49 AM

Labour members if you believe the Sunday Business Post. SWP members in other sources. Wasn't just Sinn Féiners by a long chalk.

Very bad form, though, no matter who was at it. Went way beyond what is apparently the usual bit of jeering.

BohsPartisan
28/05/2007, 11:05 AM
Labour members if you believe the Sunday Business Post. SWP members in other sources. Wasn't just Sinn Féiners by a long chalk.

Probably all of the above and well deserved. He's always been able to dish it out so he may as well be able to take it.

Risteard
28/05/2007, 11:07 AM
Ya, what's the big deal?
Noones been as short on etiquette and respect as himself.

Erstwhile Bóz
28/05/2007, 11:31 AM
Struck me as very small-time, kicking him when he was down. The world and his mother knows that he has given a lot of low blows himself, and is a horrible politician whose demise is a cause of great joy; it still doesn't mean the mob had to go mental, jostling him when he was giving his interview and banging on the man's car when he was driving away.

At the risk of sounding like a Green here, just because you can rationalize being bad to someone doesn't make it the right thing to do.

geysir
28/05/2007, 11:42 AM
IMO he set himself up royaly to receive the abuse. He was used as a culpable missile in this election. I heard a pre election talk radio interview where one caller took him to task about his farcical mudslinging against Sinn Fein and left him stuttering. As Minister of Justice if he had any evidence apart from a rumour report from the Rand (aka Bland) Corporation then he should have shut up or present the evidence for prosecution or at least for public scrutiny.
Still I don't believe that Gov policy is about personalities no matter how abnoxious they are.
If other previous Gov.members had any problems with the Criminal Justice Act then it would have been changed. He was used as an enforcer.

Macy
28/05/2007, 11:43 AM
On the TV, the only one's jostling him were the press trying to get their mic's and camera's in the mix, with the "cheerio" singing in the background. No idea about the outside, but still seemed like the press corp chasing him rather than anyone else...

Aberdonian Stu
28/05/2007, 12:46 PM
No-one deserves mob abuse like that. Whatever he may have done and however people may feel about him we as a society should never lower ourselves to such a low level of behaviour.

Even if you believe his methods are unpleasant it does not justify lowering yourself to a similar or worse action.

BohsPartisan
28/05/2007, 12:59 PM
No-one deserves mob abuse like that. Whatever he may have done and however people may feel about him we as a society should never lower ourselves to such a low level of behaviour.

Even if you believe his methods are unpleasant it does not justify lowering yourself to a similar or worse action.

What kind of a football fan are you? :eek: :D

Risteard
28/05/2007, 1:00 PM
No-one deserves mob abuse like that.
What abuse?
People shouting cheerio at him?

Block G Raptor
30/05/2007, 7:19 PM
I Jumped out of seat when I heard he'd lost his. nearly feckin' wet meself when he resigned good riddince to a biggotted little man.

galwayhoop
31/05/2007, 9:11 AM
I Jumped out of seat when I heard he'd lost his. nearly feckin' wet meself when he resigned good riddince to a biggotted little man.

when was the last time a leader from a party in the out-going government failed to hold onto his seat?

rebelarmyexile
02/06/2007, 2:24 PM
McDowell is no coward. he was taunted and abused by the SF/IRA supporters on the way out. they are the true cowards

bennocelt
02/06/2007, 4:36 PM
McDowell is no coward. he was taunted and abused by the SF/IRA supporters on the way out. they are the true cowards

dont dish it if you cant take it;)

Conor H
02/06/2007, 5:15 PM

Spot on.

jebus
03/06/2007, 4:22 PM
McDowell deserved everything he got, he went after the Greens, the Rossport 5, Sinn Fein and just about anyone with a slightly different opinion to himself with the same vigour of a starving coyote picking the bones of a corpse, and would have personally jeered Sargant, Adams, McDonald etc. in the same fashion had he been giving the chance. Cheerio to him and his party's influence is all I can say

Lim till i die
04/06/2007, 3:53 PM

What about Workers Party/Official IRA Supporters?? Fine Gael/Blue Shirt Supporters?? Did they have any input??

Saying SF/IRA is not big and not clever

FFS Paisley doesn't even do it anymore :rolleyes:

McDowell deserved everything thing he got. A bully, a poor debater and a poor quality man. He shant be missed

Calcio Jack
05/06/2007, 9:17 AM
The reason I referered to McD as being a coward had nothing to do woith him been slagged off by a few ignorant Shinner in the RDS. It was down to the fact that instead of informing his party colleagues that he intended resigning..he went ahead and declared it on national TV and his colleagues were left (not that I have much time for any of them) leaderless and uninformed... I've heard of rats deserting ships with more dignity than McD managed to muster.... so IMO he's a coward who was all talk when he was able to hide behing the power of been a Minister but when he lost out was exposed for what he is a spineless wimp who ran...

Dr.Nightdub
07/06/2007, 12:10 AM

So it was basically the left and the hard left jeering the left for dead?

Bluebeard
07/06/2007, 8:46 AM
So it was basically the left and the hard left jeering the left for dead?

Or the left-out?