PDA

View Full Version : CCFC/Football/Music Nostalgia

pete
20/02/2003, 5:41 PM
Give him a ball... (http://ping.fishtank.org.uk/mp3/Casual%20Sex%20In%20The%20Cineplex/)

might have bypassed some younger foot.ie members...

:cool:

James
20/02/2003, 6:00 PM
thats weird
i've been listening to that song for the last few days
downloaded it from limewire ages ago and only just refound it and aload of sultans and franks stuff recently

"a man can have no greater love, then to give 90 minutes to his friends"

veronica's another classic

happy days :)

sadloserkid
21/02/2003, 8:46 AM
There was a story doing the rounds on one of our local music boards that the Sultans singer had the brown stuff beaten out of him for making some stupd remarks about Limerick at a gig here. Sounds like a real bright spark...

fosterdollar
21/02/2003, 9:06 AM
the frank and walters were deadly at the Heino rollercoaster here last week - shame that people seem to be fairly ignorant as to how good they are cos they got a sh!te turnout :(

Schumi
21/02/2003, 9:44 AM
Originally posted by Magoo
the frank and walters were deadly at the Heino rollercoaster here last week - shame that people seem to be fairly ignorant as to how good they are cos they got a sh!te turnout :( Presuming you mean UCD, I thought they were blown out of the water by Turn who were brilliant. I won an inflatable Heineken bottle too!!!

James
21/02/2003, 10:00 AM
cork gig at the savoy was amazing

turn put up a good showing minus old bass player but the franks were outstanding. 2 oncoures.. crowd particiaption and moshing throughout
reminicent of days gone by

heard the turn-out (good pun) for the DCU gig was pathetic.. with only 30odd ppl left when the franks came on.. crazy seeing as tickets were only 3euros

sadloserkid
21/02/2003, 10:10 AM
Gotta say I was disappointed with this years Rollercoaster, especially compared to the last two which had some kind of a decent profile.

fosterdollar
21/02/2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Schumi
Presuming you mean UCD, I thought they were blown out of the water by Turn who were brilliant

i dont particularly like Turn's type of music, and personally i think they are going to be just another one of those half way there bands who for some reason get loads of hype initially and they just dont follow it up properly.

The Frank and Walters on the other hand are that other type of band who get loads of hype initially, keep following it up again and again but just dont seem to get to the top level of acclamation that they deserve.

Jees you just cant win can you??:rolleyes:

Turn had it a lot easier by the way. Fcking groupies licking their arses and giving it loads for them, only to leave when TFAW came on.

James
21/02/2003, 10:23 AM
what ya mean bout dissapointed
thought the quality and performance of the bands was top notch
but if ya mean the actual promotion of it then yea twas crap
outside of hotpress i would have missed it completely

fosterdollar
21/02/2003, 10:27 AM
Tom Dunne covered it quite a bit mentioning it every night it was on and had Hector on for a good while giving it socks about it

James
21/02/2003, 10:32 AM
chit forgot about that .. yeah twas on pet sounds most nights.. and i presume phantom was plugging it in dublin.. colm o sullivan on red fm also gave it a metion a few times.. when ashley from the franks was on the show

low turnouts though i heard bar the opening night in the savoy

sadloserkid
21/02/2003, 10:38 AM
Low turnouts because neither of the bands have much of a profile... not like last year (The Revs & The Hothouse Flowers) or the year before that (Wilt & the godawful Relish). I think Turn are alright and even own a Frank and Walters album but neither band is gonna fill a medium sized venue...

fosterdollar
21/02/2003, 10:39 AM
thursday nite is not the best nite to play the bar in ucd though:
1) massive student nite with most wanting to go clubbing also
2) dublin is expensive enough as it is with out having to pay into a bar and then pay pub prices rather than drink tinnies at home
3) even if you do go and want to go out after, its nearly one by the time you're in town (still though free into red box and 2Euro pints of Cashels aint too bad)

Note: i do realise that the 4Euro to see the Franks was rediculously cheap but not everybody can see that. After all it was well advertised on radio but no mention of price and posters were all based in the centre of campus away from most of the bigger faculties.

James
21/02/2003, 10:49 AM
i wud have thought turn had the same kindof profile as the revs did last year
both up and coming bands - i'd definately prefer turn over the revs

as for the hot house flower.. ugh NO .. the franks wud kick liam o maaonli and co's ass. though the hot house flowers wud attract a completely diff type of crowd and prob more non college-type older ppl.. on a more national base rather then the franks which packed cork but nowhere else outside of that wud they have such a profile, mores the pity

sadloserkid
21/02/2003, 10:53 AM
The Revs had a bigger profile than Turn plus a few well known hit singles that dragged the chart crowd along too. I agree that the Flowers are poop but their profile compared to the Franks is huge. Outside of Cork the Franks are basically underground, I bought 'Beauty Becomes More Than Life' off the back of one song but to be honest after listening to the album through I wouldn't be in any rush to pursue their back catalogue. They're alright, good even but not great by any stretch.

Schumi
21/02/2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
The Revs & The Hothouse Flowers
I wouldn't get out of bed for either of them. The only reason anyone's heard of The Revs is because they went for the boyband method of promotion.

The promotion for the whole thing was $hite, I only found out about it on Turn's website and didn't know that it was the Heineken thing until the day before!

fosterdollar
21/02/2003, 1:10 PM
How about The Stunning (The Walls - not as good), The Four of Us, Prayerboat, The Devlins? Whipping Boy were good too.

In 'dance', i reckon Bass Odyssey have written some great stuff and that song 'Bloodrush' by Creative Controle (spelling?) is pretty hard-hitting.

p.s. I'm sure Macy will agree that there used to be a great band scene around Longford four/five years ago;)

fosterdollar
21/02/2003, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
whippersnappers?

don't think its them who were talking about The Frank and Walters

James
21/02/2003, 1:16 PM
whipping boy were a great band in there day and Heartworm is an album that still holds up today and regularly got a listen to on those long trips to away matches last year :D

fosterdollar
21/02/2003, 1:38 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
and of course Aslan, who had two hits...

yeah it was the same fcking song twice:rolleyes:
god i hate them nearly as much as the people who follow them round the northside tours:rolleyes:

fosterdollar
21/02/2003, 1:39 PM
that song Jerry Fish has out at the moment or a while ago is alright. has he an album to boot?

Macy
21/02/2003, 1:51 PM
Originally posted by Magoo
p.s. I'm sure Macy will agree that there used to be a great band scene around Longford four/five years ago;)
LOL.... yeah NED were great in their various guises throughout the years.... At new year there was talk of a reunion tour.... :)

fosterdollar
21/02/2003, 1:54 PM
NED were RON ......:D

sadloserkid
25/02/2003, 2:05 PM
Kerbdog!!! Kilkenny's finest export!