PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair V Aer Lingus

shedite
24/05/2007, 12:07 PM
I was always wondering about Aer Lingus' "taxes and charges". From my understanding, the fare should be what you pay for the ticket, and the taxes and charges go to the airport and government. I picked a route that Aer Lingus and Ryanair both fly and picked the same dates. Look at the difference

Dublin - Birmingham; Outbound 25th June; Return 27th June

Ryanair
Fare: €0.02
Taxes and Charges: €29.98
Total €30

Aer Lingus:
Fare: €2
Taxes and Charges: €63.36
Total: €65.36

Anyone know why the taxes and charges are so much more for Aer Lingus?

Dodge
24/05/2007, 12:10 PM
Charges can encompass what ever you want them too. They don't neccessarily have to be handed out to Government or airport authorities etc

sligoman
24/05/2007, 12:15 PM
I always find Ryanair are much cheaper than Aer Lingus.

paul_oshea
24/05/2007, 12:42 PM
taxes and charges are the same as "here is the reality of the actual fare". its all marketing at the end of the day. charges should have to be fully detailed in law then ye wouldnt have half of this crap, and more importantly you would see exactly what the "fare" is and compare against other airlines....

BohsPartisan
24/05/2007, 3:28 PM
I always find Ryanair are much cheaper than Aer Lingus.

Not always. My parents flew to Toulouse with Aerlingus last year for half the price Ryanair were charging for Carcassone.
If you are flexible about when you fly you can get great deals with aerlingus.

Lionel Ritchie
24/05/2007, 3:31 PM
Flying to Barcelona next week -going out of Dublin with Iberia and coming back with Aer Lingus. Both were cheaper than Ryanair and both fly into Barcelona -not Reus -which is two hours from Barcelona.

Oh and Iberia fly at a much handier time than Ryanair

noby
24/05/2007, 3:43 PM
Returned from Vienna with Aer Lingus in January. Cheaper than Ryan Air, and flew from Vienna as opposed to an airport in a different country.

pete
24/05/2007, 8:29 PM
I think the only difference is that Aer Lingus often fly to more accessible airports.

TBH I don't understand the charges. On Ryanair when you pick a 0.01c flight the charges are approx 1 Euro but pick a 0.99c flight on the same day to same destination & charges are 23 Euro...

:confused:

BohsPartisan
24/05/2007, 10:40 PM
Flying to Barcelona next week -going out of Dublin with Iberia and coming back with Aer Lingus. Both were cheaper than Ryanair and both fly into Barcelona -not Reus -which is two hours from Barcelona.

Oh and Iberia fly at a much handier time than Ryanair

Do ryanair not fly to Girona anymore? Only an hour from Barca

dfx-
24/05/2007, 10:47 PM
taxes and charges are the same as "here is the reality of the actual fare". its all marketing at the end of the day. charges should have to be fully detailed in law then ye wouldnt have half of this crap, and more importantly you would see exactly what the "fare" is and compare against other airlines....

That's why I'm surprised as the disinterest a while ago to the proposed introduction of European legislation to advertise the whole fare upfront.

Dodge
24/05/2007, 10:51 PM
Do ryanair not fly to Girona anymore? Only an hour from Barca

They do but its about 90 minutes (same as reus)

SligoBrewer
24/05/2007, 10:53 PM
reus is 2-3 hours away.

BohsPartisan
24/05/2007, 11:07 PM

Thought the bus took an hour the time I went that way, could be wrong though. I'll ask the mrs she'll remember.

sligoman
24/05/2007, 11:26 PM
Took me an hour from Girona to Barca aswell.

Dodge
24/05/2007, 11:31 PM
Never flew into Girona myself, just reporting what I was told. They must have been unlucky. Flew into Reus though (for Salou) and its definitely less than 2 hours from Barcelona. Very poor airport though, transport out of it is limited

cullenswood
25/05/2007, 8:42 AM
Never flew into Girona myself, just reporting what I was told. They must have been unlucky. Flew into Reus though (for Salou) and its definitely less than 2 hours from Barcelona. Very poor airport though, transport out of it is limited

Do they not have a bus that shuttles to and from the nearest train station from Reus. The time before last that I was in Barcelona they did anyway. I just hopped on a train from Barcelona, got off at that station (can't remember the name now) and a shuttle bus came along about 10 mins later. Granted the signposting to where the bus left from was crap.

Still, much handier to fly to Barcelona direct.

pete
25/05/2007, 12:10 PM

Correct. Bus is actually more comfortable than the plane. :)

Iberia have bizarre pricing policy as changes wildly from day to day. Flights seem to get cheaper as the date gets closer too... :confused:

noby
25/05/2007, 12:44 PM
It's called trying to fill the flight, Pete.