PDA

View Full Version : Alex Bruce (and other general debate)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pablo
24/05/2007, 8:46 AM
What a Donkey.

Thank god he's not Irish.

gufct
24/05/2007, 8:50 AM
Great post ! What a plonker you are

Pablo
24/05/2007, 8:57 AM

Personal abuse allowed is it?

Its my opinion. He was at fault for the goal and caught out of position several times. Donkey.

bwagner
24/05/2007, 8:58 AM
lads of subject I know but were is Bennett from??Galway?

Pablo
24/05/2007, 9:06 AM
lads of subject I know but were is Bennett from??Galway?

he's from Cork actually. So he's not Irish either ;)

Dodge
24/05/2007, 9:06 AM
I'd say Bruce's regretting turning down the North now

Pablo
24/05/2007, 9:07 AM
I'd say Bruce's regretting turning down the North now

Must be great to pick and choose your "nationality"

paul_oshea
24/05/2007, 9:10 AM

LOL!:D

Mark Breen
24/05/2007, 9:20 AM
Personal abuse allowed is it?

Its my opinion. He was at fault for the goal and caught out of position several times. Donkey.

What a Hypocrite you are Pablo,

You just called Alex Bruce a Donkey, Is that not personal abuse????

Your right Alex Bruce had a poor game, but if you’re going to throw personal abuse from behind your computer screen then expect it back from others.

Philly
24/05/2007, 9:24 AM
I only saw the second half, but I thought Bruce looked fairly solid in it.

youngirish
24/05/2007, 9:27 AM
He has a point though Alex Bruce is dire, hopefully we shall never see him in a competitive International. The Paul Butler of his generation. We are desperately short of good central defenders. The only proven decent one we have is Dunne and even he is prone to dodgy mistakes a couple of times per game.

Mark Breen
24/05/2007, 9:34 AM
He has a point though Alex Bruce is dire, hopefully we shall never see him in a competitive International. The Paul Butler of his generation. We are desperately short of good central defenders. The only proven decent one we have is Dunne and even he is prone to dodgy mistakes a couple of times per game.

In fairness to Alex, it was his first game for the senior side, i wouldn't go lambating him too much, I seen McShane play a few games for the U21 and Utd (before he went to WBA) and i though he was shocking, he's come a long way since then and maybe Alex can too. Give him a few more run outs in these friendly games and if he still isn't upto it then fine, afterall what have we to lose, there only friendly matches, these are the games you find out about frindge players like Alex, and you certanly don't judge him on one performance.

Pablo
24/05/2007, 9:45 AM
What a Hypocrite you are Pablo,

You just called Alex Bruce a Donkey, Is that not personal abuse????

Your right Alex Bruce had a poor game, but if you’re going to throw personal abuse from behind your computer screen then expect it back from others.

I'm criticising a football player. On a football forum. Shock Horror. Read the forum rules before you start name calling kid.

Sligo Hornet
24/05/2007, 9:53 AM
I'm criticising a football player. On a football forum. Shock Horror. Read the forum rules before you start name calling kid.

See what happens when you let the children stay up late on a school night!!:D

Manc Irish Wolf
24/05/2007, 9:53 AM
Once again quick to judge, YoungIrish. Yesterday Potter was a very limited player and we were lacking in centre-midfielders - he proves you wrong. Now your attention turns to Bruce and centre backs is a problem area. Both are young Kids, are learning and will progress. Considering that we have McShane, O'Dea and St Ledger coming through things aren't that bad. The thing about being a supporter is to support, not to snipe and wait for them to fail. Even if he is a limited player, he's wearing a green shirt and trying to win for us, so should be encouraged.

NeilMcD
24/05/2007, 9:58 AM
Welll said Manc irish Wolf. Very easy to knock players as there are more bad players than good ones in the world.

gufct
24/05/2007, 9:59 AM
Once again quick to judge, YoungIrish. Yesterday Potter was a very limited player and we were lacking in centre-midfielders - he proves you wrong. Now your attention turns to Bruce and centre backs is a problem area. Both are young Kids, are learning and will progress. Considering that we have McShane, O'Dea and St Ledger coming through things aren't that bad. The thing about being a supporter is to support, not to snipe and wait for them to fail. Even if he is a limited player, he's wearing a green shirt and trying to win for us, so should be encouraged.

Top Post. Most forums have become slating shops for cranks and no one is allowed to question them without being abused.Ive being given far more personal abuse on other Foot.ie forums than the word i used to Pablo but I have been warned for the 1st time ever here over it.

OwlsFan
24/05/2007, 10:00 AM
Without agreeing with the sentiments behind the adverse comment, I saw Bruce playing for Wednesday on loan when they were in Division 1 and he didn't impress me then either. I don't believe he'll ever make the grade but at least he is prepared to travel 1000s of miles to play for Ireland and I think the pejorative term "donkey" in the circumstances is both unfair and unkind.

youngirish
24/05/2007, 10:01 AM

Yeah I was proved wrong by a good 45 minute spell a player had against desperate opposition (they had a player crisis also) all that statement proves is you have no clue about football my friend, you are the sort of armchair supporter that looks at one game and then makes a judgement of a player based on that single game.

So Potter's brilliant now he had one good half of a game? Who is quick to judge? I've been keeping an eye on him for about 4 years now unlike the 90 mins you probably have only ever seen him play. Look at the wolves forums if you think he's such a great talent for the fans opinions. I'll take their opinion over yours thank you very much as they've watched him all season and at best they think he's a fairly average player (in the Championship).

As for Bruce I've seen him numerous times playing for Birmingham and Ipswich again unlike your one game observation and let me say that he is c*ap. Look at my postings on young Irish players over the last few years to see how much my opinion counts. I'm nearly always right about young players (it's frighteningly accurate) as I don't just spout off after watching half a game unlike a few regulars on here. Listen and learn it could do you good.

As for that rubbish you spout about just supporting the player no matter what. More armchair supporter spouting nonsense. We'll see who over time is right about Bruce and Potter (me) there's a section on here btw that hype up every Irish player to ridiculous levels that they've ever seen (Partridge, Flood, Barrett all spring to mind in recent years) so pay them no mind as they don't have a balanced opinion.

NeilMcD
24/05/2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah I was proved wrong by a good 45 minute spell a player had agaisnt desperate opposition (they had a player crisis also) all that statement proves is you have no clue about football my friend, you are the sort of armchair supporter that looks at one game and then makes a judgement of a pleyer based on that game.

Potter's brilliant now he had one good half of a game? Who is quick to judge? I've been keeping an eye on him for about 4 years now unlike the 90 mins you probably have only ever seen him play. Look at the wolves forums if you think he's such a great talent for the fans opinions. I'll take their opinion over you as they've watched him all season and at best they think he's fairly average.

As for Bruce I've seen him numerous times playing for Birmingham and Ipswich again unlike your one game observation and let me say that he is c*ap. Look at my postings on young Irish players over the last few years to see how much my opinion counts. I'm nearly always right about young players (It's frighteningly accurate) as I don't just spout off after watching half a game unlike a few regulars on here. Listen and learn it could do you good.

As for just support no matter what. More armchair supporter spouting nonsense.

Youngirish how do you know that Manc Irish Wolf does not go to see Wolves week in week out.

"I'm nearly always right about young players (It's frighteningly accurate) as I don't just spout off after watching half a game unlike a few regulars on here"

Quote of the year on this forum. Why dont you go home and make love to yourself. Talk about patting yourself on the back.

youngirish
24/05/2007, 10:18 AM
Youngirish how do you know that Manc Irish Wolf does not go to see Wolves week in week out.

"I'm nearly always right about young players (It's frighteningly accurate) as I don't just spout off after watching half a game unlike a few regulars on here"

Quote of the year on this forum. Why dont you go home and make love to yourself. Talk about patting yourself on the back.
I know because he hasn't the foggiest about Potter (or Alex Bruce for that matter). And if he does go week in week out he should start asking some of the fans around him for their opinions because he needs guidance before he is led too far astray from the path of sanity.

I'm making love to myself at the moment. If he read my previous posts on young players which I do preseason every year maybe he would be mildly embarrassed about spouting such sh*te. I've seen Potter more times playing than I make love to myself and he's an average Championship player at best. He would need to improve dramatically to be a decent Premiership and therefore International player. It can be done but at the moment I wouldn't have him near the Irish team against decent opposition or we'll continue to go nowhere.

Billsthoughts
24/05/2007, 10:24 AM
I'm making love to myself at the moment.

Finally a bit of honesty on this forum....

youngirish
24/05/2007, 10:26 AM
Finally a bit of honesty on this forum....

NeilMcD and MancIrishWolf are making love to Alex Bruce and Darren Potter by the sounds of things in some sick player/fan lovefest orgy.

Billsthoughts
24/05/2007, 10:34 AM
..........altho lets not have too much honesty.....

ifk101
24/05/2007, 10:41 AM
I'm making love to myself at the moment.
….. oh my …..

If he read my previous posts on young players which I do pre season every year maybe he would be mildly embarrassed about spouting such sh*te.

modesty at its best

I've been keeping an eye on him for about 4 years now unlike the 90 mins you probably have only ever seen him play.
…. stalking?

I've seen Potter more times playing than I make love to myself and he's an average Championship player at best.
…. yikes!

Look at my postings on young Irish players over the last few years to see how much my opinion counts. I'm nearly always right about young players (it's frighteningly accurate) as I don't just spout off after watching half a game unlike a few regulars on here. Listen and learn it could do you good.

Post of the year candidate???

We'll see who over time is right about Bruce and Potter (me)

Oh sweet divine jaysus….

youngirish
24/05/2007, 10:44 AM
modesty at its best

Post of the year candidate???

F**k modesty it's true.

GavinZac
24/05/2007, 10:47 AM
useless, hopefully his last call up. seemed very "reactionary" or something - kept rushing out when it wasn't needed, diving headers out of his own box under no pressure. not exactly a passer of the ball either.

NeilMcD
24/05/2007, 10:50 AM
I have not defended Bruce at all and in other thread I said he was very poor. So you are wrong to say I am making love to Alex Bruce. As for Darren Potter, well he is a pretty fine strapping lad with a lovely touch.

youngirish
24/05/2007, 10:54 AM
I have not defended Bruce at all and in other thread I said he was very poor. So you are wrong to say I am making love to Alex Bruce. As for Darren Potter, well he is a pretty fine strapping lad with a lovely touch.
So you are making love to Darren Potter then? I don't understand then you congratulated MancIrishWolf for disagreeing with me because I initially said Bruce was rubbish when in fact you actually agreed with me? This forum messes with me mind I'm off to ourweecountry.com. At least they make sense on there in a hateful, bigoted sort of way.

NeilMcD
24/05/2007, 10:57 AM
What I agreed with was this.

"Once again quick to judge, YoungIrish. Yesterday Potter was a very limited player and we were lacking in centre-midfielders - he proves you wrong. Now your attention turns to Bruce and centre backs is a problem area. Both are young Kids, are learning and will progress"

But maybe I am an armchair supporter who needs to speak to more people on other forums. I am not sure oh wise one.

Dodge
24/05/2007, 10:59 AM
So you are making love to Darren Potter then? I don't understand then you congratulated MancIrishWolf for disagreeing with me because I initially said Bruce was rubbish when in fact you actually agreed with me? This forum messes with me mind.

I'd suggest you leave it then if I didn't love you for your Roy Keane outburts

Manc Irish Wolf
24/05/2007, 11:00 AM
Absolutely brilliant! I have to say that in all my years of having to endure the deluded, self-righteous, uninformative observations of watchers of football (not supporters), that has to be up there with the best of them! If I can pick you up on a couple of points

So Potter's brilliant now he had one good half of a game? Who is quick to judge? I've been keeping an eye on him for about 4 years now unlike the 90 mins you probably have only ever seen him play. Look at the wolves forums if you think he's such a great talent for the fans opinions. I'll take their opinion over you thanks you very much as they've watched him all season and at best they think he's a fairly average player (in the Championship).
QUOTE]

I am a Wolves fan and I too have a season ticket. Therefore, am slightly more qualified than your good self to comment on his progress this season. Having underperformed at Right Wing, not his natural position, Potter has come into great favour with the Wolves fans, especially playing in the deep centre midfield role. If you speak to any genuine Wolves fans and around Wolverhampton (rather than distant perennial moaners who generally frequent such website message boards - sound familiar?) they will tell you likewise. His greatest asset is his off the ball running and ability to create and find space, something which you will not be able to appreciate on your TV screen.

[QUOTE=youngirish;691779]As for Bruce I've seen him numerous times playing for Birmingham and Ipswich again unlike your one game observation and let me say that he is c*ap. Look at my postings on young Irish players over the last few years to see how much my opinion counts. I'm nearly always right about young players (it's frighteningly accurate) as I don't just spout off after watching half a game unlike a few regulars on here. Listen and learn it could do you good.

I too have seen Bruce play for Birmingham and Ipswich and admit that he's no John Terry. However, he is young and developing in a position in which the best players mature a lot later in their playing careers due to strength and the wisdom of positioning, so deserves our support. As for your ridiculous spoutings about "My opinions count", "I am nearly always right" - this simply sounds like the desperate plea of an insecure man - don't worry we'll listen to you. Your opinion does count - but only as much as the next man.

youngirish
24/05/2007, 11:00 AM
What I agreed with was this.

"Once again quick to judge, YoungIrish. Yesterday Potter was a very limited player and we were lacking in centre-midfielders - he proves you wrong. Now your attention turns to Bruce and centre backs is a problem area. Both are young Kids, are learning and will progress"

But maybe I am an armchair supporter who needs to speak to more people on other forums. I am not sure oh wise one.

Quick to judge about Bruce but right?!! Isn't that a talent that should be nurtured and developed with love and care? As i've stated I'm not quick to judge in either case anyway. Bruce isn't young enough to still have time to develop into a top player anyway. He's 23 in a few months. It's too long an uphill road. He's far too rubbish.

GavinZac
24/05/2007, 11:03 AM
Your opinion does count - but only as much as the next man.unless the next man is from cork, at which point the GLSC (General Law of Superiority of Cork) kicks in.

NeilMcD
24/05/2007, 11:07 AM
Quick to judge about Bruce but right?!! Isn't that a talent that should be nurted and developed with love and care? As i've stated I'm not quick to judge in either case anyway. Bruce isn't young enough to still have time to develop into a top player anyway. It's too long an uphill road. He's far too rubbish.

No not right at all because what you said is.

"He has a point though Alex Bruce is dire, hopefully we shall never see him in a competitive International"

What I believe is that Bruce was not great for 30 mins last night along with Bennett as they had not agreed on how to play the offside trap. When that was rectified at half time they were solid in the second half. World class or international class they are both a long way off but I would not expect that from either of them. Do they have a future with Ireland, who is to know but I was impressed with how they improved in the 2nd half. But overall I thought both were poor. Your comments in my view are simplistic and OTT comments but thats just my opinion of your comments. Other than that you are probaby the best talen spotter foot.ie has ever had and why you are not employed as a scout by the FAI or some Premiership club I will never know.

youngirish
24/05/2007, 11:09 AM
I too have seen Bruce play for Birmingham and Ipswich and admit that he's no John Terry. However, he is young and developing in a position in which the best players mature a lot later in their playing careers due to strength and the wisdom of positioning, so deserves our support. As for your ridiculous spoutings about "My opinions count", "I am nearly always right" - this simply sounds like the desperate plea of an insecure man - don't worry we'll listen to you. Your opinion does count - but only as much as the next man.

If Alex Bruce becomes a decent top level footballer I'll chew my own arm off.

If Potter becomes a top class midfielder playing for a good team (preferrably top half) regularly in the Premiership (and this is the only situation IMO that we should be happy to have him in the Irish team) then I'll chew the other one off.

If we are happy for average Championship players to be playing in one of the most important positions in the Irish team then truly the good days are gone forever. As I've stated earlier Potter needs dramatic improvement to be a good player at the top tier. It's not impossible, Stephen Hunt did it (though I think next season will be a difficult one for him so I wouldn't get carried away with Hunt yet), but it's nowhere on the horizon yet and he'll be 23 early next season not 19 or 20.

Your comments in my view are simplistic and OTT comments but thats just my opinion of your comments. Other than that you are probaby the best talen spotter foot.ie has ever had and why you are not employed as a scout by the FAI or some Premiership club I will never know.
I'm sorry next time I'll write an EalingGreen length essay to explain the negative qualities that could potentially hamper the progression of Alex Bruce to the top level of International and club football. Or else just continue to do my work talent spotting for Ajax before I get sacked.

Sligo Hornet
24/05/2007, 11:12 AM

Assuming he does make it ( any many of us do )...........would you garlic sauce with that sir??;)

Billsthoughts
24/05/2007, 11:19 AM

thus bringing your love making to an end.....:(

youngirish
24/05/2007, 11:20 AM
thus bringing your love making to an end.....:(

I'll learn to use me feet. A trick Alex Bruce needs to be taught.

Billsthoughts
24/05/2007, 11:24 AM
I'll learn to use me feet. A trick Alex Bruce needs to be taught.
very good.....
:)

youngirish
24/05/2007, 11:25 AM
very good.....
:)

I am also the most humorous person in the history of football forums as you've now seen. My wit is legendary.

kingdom hoop
24/05/2007, 11:35 AM
I am also the most humorous person in the history of football forums as you've now seen. My wit is legendary.

Yeah, you're laugh difference stat is very impressive, laughs at; 85, laughs with; 10.:p

youngirish
24/05/2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah, you're laugh difference stat is very impressive, laughs at; 85, laughs with; 10.:p
If that was meant to be a percentage then it doesn't add up.

billybunter
24/05/2007, 11:38 AM

prone to dodgy mistakes??have to disgree here. Man city's player of the year for the last 2(or is it 3) years? also irelands most consistent peformer apart frm shay over the same period... he is one of the top 3 defenders in he premiership for me.

Jerry The Saint
24/05/2007, 11:42 AM
Disappointing level of debate. :(

I was hoping to read the classic line

I have played football at a very high level so I know what I'm talking about. Have you? No:confused: Then I'm right! Case closed.

And then challenged on what level he played at the person goes all shy, mumbles something about bad injury, coulda bin a contenda etc, etc...:)

Manc Irish Wolf
24/05/2007, 11:44 AM
If Potter becomes a top class midfielder playing for a good team (preferrably top half) regularly in the Premiership (and this is the only situation IMO that we should be happy to have him in the Irish team) then I'll chew the other one off.

If we are happy for average Championship players to be playing in one of the most important positions in the Irish team then truly the good days are gone forever. As I've stated earlier Potter needs dramatic improvement to be a good player at the top tier. .

The Irish players and team ethic has never, and should never be about who and where the players are playing - that is the mistake that England have made for so long. Houghton (Oxford), Aldridge (Oxford), Quinn (Sunderland), Kelly (Wolves) & Cascarino (Millwall) were not playing at the top level during their time with Ireland but were doing a job within a system. It does not matter where they are playing. John O'Shea is playing at top class level for a great team - but does that justify his regular inclusion?

Potter has played above average in a good championship team, who will only get better next year. He was asked to do a job in "one of the most important positions" in Ireland team and did a good job. There is no argument for criticism.

youngirish
24/05/2007, 11:58 AM
Houghton and Aldridge were playing for Liverpool/Aston Villa/Real Sociedad for the majority of their Ireland caps. All good teams. Not sure which Kelly you refer to if it's David then he was never a regular for Ireland and many of his caps were when he was with West Ham. Never rated Cascerino and when he was a mainstay of the Ireland team we were rubbish anyway.

We shouldn't be relying on average Championship players for an Irish team if we want to qualify for anything. I just don't think Potter's good enough at present and 45 minutes of a good performance against an Ecuador C team wouldn't (and shouldn't) convince me otherwise (fair enough if it was Argentina or Brazil) though as I've stated earlier I would not write him off entirely for the future. He needs to improve. I would be fairly sure Alex Bruce is not up to the task though.

I'm not for selecting our players based on whether they play for a top team either and would well be on for f*cking JOS out of the team. The basic requirements I would use for defining whther a player is good enough for Ireland would be:

1. Performed well in previous Internationals
2. Playing and starting regularly at the top level of football.
3. Performing well for their clubs.
4. If not playing at the top level then has to be good enough for the top level (Potter at present isn't IMO).

eirebhoy
24/05/2007, 12:08 PM
Yeah I was proved wrong by a good 45 minute spell a player had against desperate opposition
I thought Potter was the best player in the first half and was much better in the 2nd half. He has the technical ability and intelligence to succeed. He's pretty much guaranteed his place in the squad for a while now too.

Being 100% serious here. Do you want to put a bet on Potter being Wolves player (either fans or players' player) of the season next season? :) Obviously you're getting the better bet. ;)

youngirish
24/05/2007, 12:14 PM
I thought Potter was the best player in the first half and was much better in the 2nd half. He has the technical ability and intelligence to succeed. He's pretty much guaranteed his place in the squad for a while now too.

Look at the quality of the opposition though eirebhoy.

Being 100% serious here. Do you want to put a bet on Potter being Wolves player (either fans or players' player) of the season next season? :) Obviously you're getting the better bet. ;)
I'll take that eirebhoy no problem. I'll send you my account details.

It'll be either Keogh, Knightly, Matt Murray or someone new they get.

Mark Breen
24/05/2007, 12:15 PM

Were did i mention i had a problem with others criticising a football player......

I called you a Hypocrite because you said in your 2nd post ‘Personal abuse allowed is it? Which was aimed at GUFC.

But in your first post you call Alex Bruce a ‘Donkey’ To me that’s personal abuse, Hence me calling you a Hypocrite.

You can’t personally abuse a person and then when someone personally abuses you tell them its not allowed.

Not once in your first post did you mention anything about his footballing ability or lack off.