PDA

View Full Version : Collingwood

Aberdonian Stu
20/02/2003, 12:48 PM
Just to make it easier I've started up a separate thread on the Collingwood.

Bte we won the Harding Cup (Freshers) a week or two ago.

pineapple stu
20/02/2003, 12:55 PM
While you're knocking around on the net, any chance you can send me that Robbie Mac photo? I can finish the front cover of the programme then!

Aberdonian Stu
20/02/2003, 6:11 PM
UCD 2 QUB 0
We're into the final now against hostsUCC after they beat UUC 2-1. The final is tomorrow at 2.30pm

Btw Kevin I'll see what I can do.

Schumi
21/02/2003, 3:40 PM
We lost 2-1 to UCC in the final. Hugh Davey put us 1 up but we lost in the end. UCC missed two penalties as well!!

SÓC
21/02/2003, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
We lost 2-1 to UCC in the final. Hugh Davey put us 1 up but we lost in the end. UCC missed two penalties as well!!
Good match, very decent crowd. UCD scored first, missed it was in a lecture, got there just in time to see the equaliser a stunning volley at the end of the first half.

Near the start of the 2nd half UCC scored a scrappy goal from a corner and decided to defend for the rest of the game, our two pennos were poorly struck but fair play to yer keeper for getting to them.

joe
21/02/2003, 4:34 PM
i don't know would i call it a good match. I t was entertaining at times, but the amount of basic errors was unreal.

btw does anyone know if the ucd keeper was actually a keeper or just a stand-in?

SÓC
21/02/2003, 6:17 PM
Originally posted by joe

btw does anyone know if the ucd keeper was actually a keeper or just a stand-in?

I was speaking to the UCC keeper after the game and he thought that the UCD keeper was injured and didnt even look like he normally was a keeper, he still did ok tho' considering.

No.8 (Spratt?)for UCC looked good as well as No. 6 Weldon (I think) and No. 3.

No. 11 for UCD was quite good.

Sure it's no wonder UCC won it in the team there were 2 Law Students, 2 Gaelgóirí and 2 Ó Conaills, what more could you ask for:D :D :D

patsh
21/02/2003, 6:40 PM
Originally posted by joe
i don't know would i call it a good match. I t was entertaining at times, but the amount of basic errors was unreal.

Yeah poor enough I thought.
UCD were dissapointing. Very little invention or attacking flair, UCC not much better.
Still, it was the end of a long week and a fair few games.
C'mon the college ! (The real college..:D !)

joe
21/02/2003, 8:43 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc

No.8 (Spratt?)for UCC looked good as well as No. 6 Weldon (I think) and No. 3.

No. 11 for UCD was quite good.

8: Ken Bruton
6: Allan Weldon
3: Eoghan Linehan (I think)
11: Shane Hennessy

Badweather Fan
21/02/2003, 10:13 PM
UCC for the league Of Ireland. Wahey
How manyof the League Of Ireland players were on the UCD team?

CollegeTillIDie
22/02/2003, 11:07 PM
COngratulations to UCC on retaining the Collingwood painful and all as it is for me to say it. As for the question there was a handful of Under 21 players in the U.C.D. squad and that was it. Hugh Davey played and he would have had the most first team experience.
U.C.D. although kings of the Collingwood overall with 40 wins since 1914 have now not won the Cup since 1994. That was also significantly the last year that League of Ireland squad members were featured in anything like significant numbers.
In 1993/94 U.C.D. blew their chances of promotion from the First Division indirectly as a result of the efforts of the players in the COllingwood Cup. We lost 1-0 in the Carlisle to a Bray side that stiill had to apply for re-election to the league.

As for U.C.C. playing in the League of Ireland why not? Their League of Ireland side could feature Graduates and College Corinthians players as well as one or two outsiders. My wish would be that they would not be subject to the same level of begrudgery their GAA team faces when playing in the Cork County Championship or indeed some of the begrudgery we face by refusing to roll over and play dead in Premier Division matches against so called professional teams . The Mardyke used to be a League of ireland ground in the 1930's , 40's and 50's. Indeed U.C.D. once played there in the F.A.I. Cup against Cork Athletic in 1957.
The College Ladies won the W.S.C.A.I. Premier Division on Wednesday by winning their final league 3-1 over U.L. and have already won the Indoor Intervarsities. The Outdoor will be held in Queen's University next month. Maybe the ladies will succeed where the laddies failed .

p.s. Aberdonian Student
The answer to your puzzle is King of The Road a hit in the 1960's for Roger Miller and a wee bit later for the Proclaimers
:D

Schumi
24/02/2003, 2:05 PM
Originally posted by CollegeTillIDie
As for U.C.C. playing in the League of Ireland why not? But then our 'College' chants would just get confusing!

UCD_4_Life
24/02/2003, 5:31 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
But then our 'College' chants would just get confusing!

Well we could say The Real College. Not like those fake ones.

Aberdonian Stu
25/02/2003, 7:15 PM
This is answering a query from further up.

The UCD goalie is a student and a mature one at that at the age of 35. He is a goalie and was 1st choice, he started of in the College this year having left Ireland to go to America on a scholarship at the age of 18 where he has since got married and then divorced. He had a metal brace on his leg as a result of a long-term injury and that's why his kicking was quite poor. His surname is Myers but I've forgotten his first name despite remembering all those other irrelevant details.

Badweather Fan
26/02/2003, 12:12 PM
Thats James Myers.