PDA

View Full Version : 25/05/07 Wexford YFC v Athlone Town

passinginterest
23/05/2007, 4:22 PM
After a harsh lesson when we played in Athlone and a real struggle for results recently this looks like a big test of character for the Wexford lads.

A win would put a positive look back on things but a defeat could leave us bottom if results don't go our way. Athlone have been the most inconsistent side in the league so far so a lot depends on which Athlone turns up on the day.

I think another draw is the likely result. I'm going for 1-1, but it's definitely a game that could go either way.

new blue
23/05/2007, 11:36 PM
I'm going for a win.
Two soft goals last time. We need to wise up and be alert and sharp.
We need to find our shooting boots too on a more regular basis but we have the players to do it.Athlone have conceded almost as many goals as we have (19 v 18) but scored 5 more. It takes time for dreams to come true!

brokenstar
24/05/2007, 8:36 PM
I'm gonna be brave and go for a home win too. I felt the 1 - 0 defeat against Cobh last week was a courageous result versus the one of the in-form teams in the league. The lads are slowly starting to gel and seem to be learning from their mistakes the hard way, through defeats. They won't be happy with this and will look to turn it around starting on Friday.

Athlone might come to Newcastle hoping for a walk in the park like our first encounter with them earlier in the season. This might just play to our advantage. I'll go for a 2 - 1 win for the Youths.

Come on Wexford!!

ForzaWexford
25/05/2007, 5:19 PM
Two surprises up front tonight, a centre-half and a defensive midfielder! Or so I hear.

I'll go for a 1-0 win, with Lloyd Colfer coming off the bench to score in the 73rd minute!

new blue
25/05/2007, 10:18 PM
We should have drawn this one and could have won.
On top in the second half - what have we against playing in the first?
We really are learning the hard way!
We are competing well but need to stop giving away easy goals.

passinginterest
28/05/2007, 9:54 AM
Got a similar report from my dad alright. Said we had a few chances in the first half too but Athlone scored straight after we had our best chances. Said that we looked unsure of how to play against the ten men. I'd say a bit of a confidence crisis in the team at the moment, they were more afraid of conceding another goal instead of going for the win. Not sure if that can be put down to the manager or the lads on the pitch.

Very dissapointing the team desperatley needs to scrape a win from somewhere. If they could get through a first half without conceding it would be a start.

Sunny Jim
28/05/2007, 12:33 PM
Both Athlone's goals were very soft, the defending was absolutely terrible. We looked a little better going forward but it seems that Wexford are a team short on confidence. Our priority at the moment has to be not conceding goals because we're well capable of scoring them. While I know that it will take time to get things right, it shouldn't be forgotten that there will be possible relegation from the first division next season, so things need to be sorted sooner rather than later.

brokenstar
28/05/2007, 6:42 PM
The decision to play Anthony Russell and Joey Wadding up front seems a bit baffling to me when Colfer was sitting on the bench. Very strange indeed. That said, all reports I heard were the usual slow start and the strong finish. We need to get out of the traps a bit quicker and start taking the game to teams. It seems that when Russell was moved back into midfield he ran the show. Mick also went with a 4-4-2 in the first half. The lads need to bounce back with a win after this and hopefully that'll come on Tues night