PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon Resigns

Pages : [1] 2 3

lofty9
22/05/2007, 8:49 AM
Just Heard On Radio Foyle

passinginterest
22/05/2007, 8:52 AM
If the stories about the gardai being called to the dressing room in Longford and the like are true then it's no great surprise. He never seemed to have the dressing room behind him. Will anyone want to take the poison chalice?

Magicme
22/05/2007, 8:55 AM
Jaysus!

OneRedArmy
22/05/2007, 9:00 AM
Cheerio Pat.

Peter Hutton's the man.

Hopefully Tony Gorman gets chased out of there as well......

Mr A
22/05/2007, 9:23 AM
Terrible news. Just when Fenlon was gathering a bit of momentum he goes and resigns.

finnpark
22/05/2007, 9:23 AM
I know someone who is feeling real smug right now. :p

Lets hope Tony Gorman is put in charge now and we can watch the whole thing happen all over again:D

I think they will be going for someone with a lot more experience this time. I don't think there is anyone on this land....

lofty9
22/05/2007, 9:27 AM
I know someone who is feeling real smug right now. :p

Lets hope Tony Gorman is put in charge now and we can watch the whole thing happen all over again:D

I think they will be going for someone with a lot more experience this time. I don't think there is anyone on this land....

Lets hope Gorman is instantly given the boot.

dcfc_dee
22/05/2007, 9:29 AM
FROM THE BBC:

Fenlon quits as Derry City boss

Pat Felon has resigned as manager of Eircom Premier Division club Derry City after just five months in the job.
The former Shelbourne boss, who took over from Stephen Kenny at the Brandywell, has yet to announce the reasons for his decision.

Derry have struggled at the start of their first season under Fenlon and the Candystripes lie fifth in the league, 11 points behind leaders St Pat's.

City could only manage a draw with basement club Longford

Krstic
22/05/2007, 9:32 AM
Cheerio Now!

carrickharp
22/05/2007, 9:47 AM
Roddy Collins was seen on the N2 on his way to Derry this morning;)

OneRedArmy
22/05/2007, 9:49 AM
Roddy Collins was seen on the N2 on his way to Derry this morning;)Urgent bit of plastering no doubt............or was he driving the bus?

Risteard
22/05/2007, 9:51 AM
There's taking a little while to settle in and there's turning the dressing room and club atmosphere completely upside down (apart).
To take them from imo a slightly over-achieving team built out of teamwork and a good attitude to tearing lumps out of eachother in the dressing room is a disgrace.

Jerry The Saint
22/05/2007, 10:03 AM
Urgent bit of plastering no doubt............or was he driving the bus?

And if he was...where did he get the engine:confused:

GavinZac
22/05/2007, 10:07 AM
This is a valuable case study in the effects of signing clowns like Dave Rogers and Greg O'Halloran

OneRedArmy
22/05/2007, 10:09 AM
This is a valuable case study in the effects of signing clowns like Dave Rogers and Greg O'HalloranHard to blame either of them to be honest.

Its the previously fantastic players over the last few seasons who suddenly look clueless and have no confidence that will be his legacy.

Its Keely all over again.

dortie
22/05/2007, 10:13 AM
Lets hope Gorman is instantly given the boot.

Hear hear....

Pat Dolan, could be worse.

michaelguineys
22/05/2007, 10:32 AM
Anyone care to tell us what actually happened in the dressing room the other night??

lofty9
22/05/2007, 10:36 AM
Anyone care to tell us what actually happened in the dressing room the other night??

Longford + Saturday Nights = Ridden Rock Solid

Only it was Fenlons turn.:D

Steve Bruce
22/05/2007, 10:41 AM
Taken from bbc.co.uk

Fenlon quits as Derry City boss

Pat Fenlon has resigned as manager of Eircom League of Ireland club Derry City after just five months in the job.
The former Shelbourne boss, who took over from Stephen Kenny at the Brandywell, is understood to have quit due to personal reasons.

Derry have struggled at the start of their first season under Fenlon and the Candystripes lie fifth in the league.

City captain Peter Hutton will take charge of the team with help from current assistant boss Tony Gorman.

Fenlon broke the news to the Derry squad on Tuesday morning.

"We feel we've let Pat down as well as ourselves - we've lost the best manager in Ireland," said player Darren Kelly.

City lie 11 points behind league leaders St Pat's after a disappointing scoreless draw with basement club Longford Town on Saturday.

In a statement the club said they had regrettably accepted Fenlon's resignation.

"We would like to thank Pat for his efforts on behalf of the club and wish him well for the future," they added.

Dave77
22/05/2007, 10:41 AM
not a huge surprise, if players dont get behind the manager they seem to be able to get rid of them quick enough.

sligoman
22/05/2007, 10:48 AM
Rob McDonald can manage ye, he's good friends with Rogers too.

paul_oshea
22/05/2007, 11:18 AM
worrying from a bigger point of view for yer european hopes ( and the leagues )!!

OneRedArmy
22/05/2007, 11:19 AM
worrying from a bigger point of view for yer european hopes ( and the leagues )!!Paul, if you'd seen us play this season, you'd know this can only be a boost to our European hopes.

We were outplayed by Longford ffs!

passerrby
22/05/2007, 11:27 AM
do you think matthews is in with a shout or will you look outside the isle

Ebmania
22/05/2007, 11:31 AM
Derry are in real danger of fecking up all the good work done by Kenny.

BohsPartisan
22/05/2007, 11:33 AM
Well someone's free (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=60972)

Midgit
22/05/2007, 11:35 AM
If we had to wait a few weeks in appointing our manager Fenlon may have come to us! Nothing can be done now anyway.
Any chance of Kenny coming back if he loses at the weekend in the final?

OneRedArmy
22/05/2007, 11:37 AM
Derry are in real danger of fecking up all the good work done by Kenny.We'll do whats best for our club. You worry about whatever club you support.

Its obviously the "won't someone PLEASE think of the coefficient" time of the year :rolleyes:

sligoman
22/05/2007, 11:37 AM
Any chance of Kenny coming back if he loses at the weekend in the final?No, his job is secure, why would he wanna come back?

Aaron
22/05/2007, 11:41 AM
Well someone's free (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=60972)

He can go **** himself.

Steve Bruce
22/05/2007, 11:45 AM
Marty Quinn would be a good option. He has won the league with Cliftonville on a shoestring budget. He has won the Irish Cup with Coleraine.

His teams always play good football and he has experience in winning. Who knows what he could do with a bit of money behind him.

harps1954
22/05/2007, 11:48 AM
Could it be Fat Pat with Felix as his assistant?

lofty9
22/05/2007, 11:51 AM
I'll take Declan Devine.

I heard that O Halloran and Rogers were very animated this morning when told the news.

Raheny Red
22/05/2007, 12:02 PM
Its obviously the "won't someone PLEASE think of the coefficient" time of the year :rolleyes:

Yup, it's poxy all right :rolleyes:

monutdfc
22/05/2007, 12:18 PM
do you think matthews is in with a shout or will you look outside the isle
I'd doubt it - too associated with Keely for Derry to go for him

OneRedArmy
22/05/2007, 12:31 PM
I'd be happy with Peter Hutton assisted by Tony Doc.

We have to get Gorman out first though.......until then its an unfinished job.

Risteard
22/05/2007, 12:33 PM
I'd say this is one job the large one would jump at.

OneRedArmy
22/05/2007, 12:36 PM
I'd say this is one job the large one would jump at.
He's also not as large anymore, so is clearly in a better position to jump for it.

carrickharp
22/05/2007, 12:44 PM
What now for Fenlon who will chance taking him on as manager after all this??

Risteard
22/05/2007, 12:44 PM
He's also not as large anymore, so is clearly in a better position to jump for it.

Plenty of Candy an' all.

GuisaSaigon
22/05/2007, 12:51 PM
What now for Fenlon who will chance taking him on as manager after all this??
Shels?:D

Rory H
22/05/2007, 12:53 PM
Shels?:D

he is still a brilliant manager,just made the wrong choice of club. disappointed we appointed another manager before he became free:p

Risteard
22/05/2007, 1:03 PM
I'd say himself and Sean Conner would have been better off in the others job.

Steve Bruce
22/05/2007, 1:13 PM
Pat for Glentoran :D

As the Big Ian would say(or used to)

NEVER NEVER NEVER!! :D

Ash
22/05/2007, 1:20 PM
Pat for Athlone!

Vacancy may be opening soon ...

dcfcsteve
22/05/2007, 1:28 PM
he is still a brilliant manager,just made the wrong choice of club. disappointed we appointed another manager before he became free:p

So let me get this straight. A successful team playing good football instantly became an unsuccessful one playing muck, despite having a core of the same players across both periods. Pat Fenlon was the man who was in charge across this lightening-fast transformation - yet he bears no blame at all, and it's all just the club's fault....? :confused:

And what is the wrong choice of club for Pat anyway ? One that is already quite successful and where he can't throw money around to buy further success ?

I don't know which is funnier - your belief that Pat is a footballing genius scuppered in his choice of club, or your view that he would have been interested in Sligo for anything other than taking a dump on his way through to Galway....

passinginterest
22/05/2007, 1:32 PM
Hands off 'not so fat anymore' Pat everyone! He's very commited to building a successful team in Wexford. After all in 2 years time Wallace is likely to hand over the team and a sizeable budget to him. And this team will be playing in one of the best stadiums in the country. So go and do a running jump the lot of ye :p

Steve Bruce
22/05/2007, 1:34 PM
So let me get this straight. A successful team playing good football instantly became an unsuccessful one playing muck, despite having a core of the same players across both periods. Pat Fenlon was the man who was in charge across this lightening-fast transformation - yet he bears no blame at all, and it's all just the club's fault....? :confused:

And what is the wrong choice of club for Pat anyway ? One that is already quite successful and where he can't throw money around to buy further success ?

I don't know which is funnier - your belief that Pat is a footballing genius scuppered in his choice of club, or your view that he would have been interested in Sligo for anything other than taking a dump on his way through to Galway....

Some times some managers are just not suited with some teams.

Maybe the problem is Derry City overachieved? Although I'm not saying for one second that you are at your level, because your certainly a top 4 club. But maybe just not a legitimate challanger to the league title?

Obviously you'll disagree but as you say it is the same set of players, who are not doing the job, so maybe last season was a slight overacheivement. The Liverpool of Eircom League football if you like.

OneRedArmy
22/05/2007, 1:37 PM
Some times some managers are just not suited with some teams.

Maybe the problem is Derry City overachieved? Although I'm not saying for one second that you are at your level, because your certainly a top 4 club. But maybe just not a legitimate challanger to the league title?

Obviously you'll disagree but as you say it is the same set of players, who are not doing the job, so maybe last season was a slight overacheivement. The Liverpool of Eircom League football if you like.Bizarre then that you celebrate like loons when you get a result against a bunch of overachievers.

Losing out on the League 2 years on the trot would indicate that we weren't overachieving. Also whist we had a bad spell in the early part of the decade, our record is fairly impressive over the past 2 decades in the EL.

lofty9
22/05/2007, 1:45 PM
I heard a couple of weeks ago that he wanted out of Derry and some of the players as well. They actually even prefer to live across the border in Letterkenny. :eek:

You talking to O Halloran?;) He hates living in the goldfish bowl. I thought he would have experienced similiar at Cork.

They've underestimated what it's like coming to play for Derry. They think it's a regional club and then when they get here, the passion hits them right up the beak. Fenlon couldn't handle his family living here in that environment.