PDA

View Full Version : Lansdowne Road Post-Redevelopment

SuperDave
20/05/2007, 12:34 PM
Some interesting facts and figures:

The last attendance at Lansdowne for a soccer game was 34,018. It was 35,500 for the Czech Republic game according to soccernet. Now according to www.lrsdc.ie/facts/default.asp?NCID=65 the new stadium will have 10,000 premium level seat and 1,300 at box level with an overall capacity of 50,000. Now that means the increase in seat numbers for everyone else will only be in the region of 50,000(overall cap) - 10,000(premium)* - 1,300(box) - 35,500(old) = 3,200 and a large number of these will go to clubs, fai cronies, residents (who had to be bought off, of course) etc etc. So, in reality, the 5,000 on the block booking waiting list... Well it looks as though 4,000 of those are probably going to be staying right where they are.

*not to say though that some who counted as block bookers in the old stadium weren't paying premium prices in the old east stand. I'd guess there'll be a number who make the step up, but there'll still probably be a number of disappointed block bookers.

Dodge
20/05/2007, 12:41 PM
Some interesting facts and figures:

The last attendance at Lansdowne for a soccer game was 34,018

The last game there was the FAI Cup final. And don't forget that a large number of thos whoa ttended the "old " Lansdowne were also from the corporate/club sector (and so it should be as they pay for football in this country)

GavinZac
20/05/2007, 12:48 PM
Perhaps block bookers would be better off getting involved in clubs.

pete
20/05/2007, 12:52 PM
I am always surprised to hear that the capacity now big enough at Lansdowne as its almost impossible to get rid of tickets for friendly games even at below cost.

The public will queue up for the big games but only a few of them every year.

Schumi
20/05/2007, 1:58 PM
There were a large number of corporate tickets in the old Lansdowne Road (for big games anyway) so there will be a larger increase in available tickets than the figures above. As pete says, there's very little interest in friendly games and smaller qualifying games (less than 30,000 at San Marino for example) so I don't think that the capacity is far off.

pete
20/05/2007, 2:08 PM
Corporate tickets are a necessary evil as the new stadium would not be built without them.

I listened to Newstalk during the week moaning about the 50k capacity (i thought they increased to 55k?) on the day before they started demolishing Lansdowne. :rolleyes:

I think the redevelopment schedule is going well all things considered as I would hate to see how much trouble a green field site would cause & how long to complete. Talk of using the old Bottle Plant site in Ringsend doesn't add up either as it was recently sold for 200-250m which I assume is the going rate for that site.

60-65k would be best but no viable options given for a site & cost to support that. A 50-55k capacity site will ensure high demand for the big games which has advantages too.

Bald Student
20/05/2007, 3:44 PM
Corporate tickets are a necessary evil as the new stadium would not be built without them.I don't think that they're even an evil. They keep the prawn sandwich supporters seperated from the rest of us, which is a plus in my book.

KildareRed
25/05/2007, 6:09 PM
Obviously, who ever has a block booking for a number of years is going to get tickets in the new stadium before someone who has a block booking through the waiting list. FAI only started a waiting list to fill croke park, when we move back to lansdowne I would say 3 or 4000 will get accommodated and rest wont get any tickets

SuperDave
25/05/2007, 7:14 PM
Corporate tickets are a necessary evil as the new stadium would not be built without them.

I listened to Newstalk during the week moaning about the 50k capacity (i thought they increased to 55k?) on the day before they started demolishing Lansdowne. :rolleyes:

I think the redevelopment schedule is going well all things considered as I would hate to see how much trouble a green field site would cause & how long to complete. Talk of using the old Bottle Plant site in Ringsend doesn't add up either as it was recently sold for 200-250m which I assume is the going rate for that site.

60-65k would be best but no viable options given for a site & cost to support that. A 50-55k capacity site will ensure high demand for the big games which has advantages too.

you say that, but would the sale of the lansdowne road site not have generated about €500m?