PDA

View Full Version : GUFC 0 UCD (where? DUBLIN) 0

corbyeire
18/05/2007, 10:07 PM
was truly a battle of the elements - we still created 3 great chances which their keeper did really well to save

on the other end i dont know how - mckenna/lester stopped the ball going in - in the second half

think wes played the ball on the ground in the area with his hand - thought it was a peno - but got away with it

overall - rogers had little to do - but dealt well with most of the croses - dropped one

thought collie was doing well - put in a few decent crosses and passes - and defended okay until he got injured

mckenna looked well up for it - and was calm on the ball - going forward he was a bit more abrupt - but good to see him solid

lester was touted to play in the centre back and he did - not amazing in the first - but in the second won his headers and looked comfortable

wes made some great tackles and was solid enough

murph covered every blade of grass of the first half and as a consequence was much quieter in the second - unlucky not to have gone in with his strike leading 1-0

foley did good running and blocking as usual

derek - found the alleyways to nowhere and beat the same player twice - but did get 2 good crosses in

russell - in a game that doesnt suit his style - was my man of the match - put in some amazing work and brilliant tackles all over the pitch - fair play - i have doubted him in the past - showed some mettle tonight

barry was fairly quiet - especially in the first - did a bit better in the second - but still not good enough

glynn - had a few breaks when he came on and could have knicked one - had a bit more bite than barry

o flynn worked hard again and was unlucky not to score in the second half at the near post

i dont think i should be too disappointed with the 0-0 considering the conditions - but we really have to start winning at home asap

a lot of the play in the first half with the wind was very aimless - again by passing the midfield - a lot of hoofing - -which just came straight back at us especially in the second

anyway - at least mckenna up to it - lester can do a job and russell has a bit of bite now

so up next - bohs at home - theres no easy games - but as good a chance as any at this stage to start the home winning streak laugh.gif

inthestand99
18/05/2007, 11:22 PM
:ball: :) Bad night ladz, the conditions made a farce of the game.That said a point is a point but as cobes says we really need to be more ruthless and pick up the wins at home. The ref gave us nothing, Derek G clearly had a penalty denied. Bring on the Bohs and Mr "the sun shines out of my A..." Connor

jambo08
19/05/2007, 10:28 AM
corby in my opinion most of the hoofing came from midfield in second half. how many simple balls did murphs give away and hoof in second half. should have scored in first half. thats the differance of getting wins.simply have to take chances. i thought barry was appauling. derek g done well when he came on.russell got stuck in which was great to see, mckenna got the ball down and looked good.lestor and wes played well together. over all i think we should have won.had enough chances

GUISAUltra
19/05/2007, 11:20 AM
The ref gave us nothing, Derek G clearly had a penalty denied

I know derek was denied a stone wall penalty but i think the decisions evened themselves out. UCD Dublin should have had a peno when wes handballed and i'm nearly sure that the ball was over the line when liam cleared it

GUISAUltra
19/05/2007, 11:21 AM
was really really impressed with wesley last night, with reggie out of the team he treally had to step up. he won some very good tackles and not much got past him and lester. also have to say that i thought lester improved a good bit from waterford and hopefully that was just a once off thing. thought liam did well when he came on, its always good to know that we have good back up and i think he definitely could be one for the future. fair play to derek glynn, tried and tried when he came on but it was impossible to play football in those conditions. thought he definitely should have had a penalty but then again, UCD Dublin should maybe have had a penalty as well and i'm pretty sure that there effort was over the line so i suppose it evens itself out

corbyeire
19/05/2007, 3:19 PM
it was noticeable that wes was doing a lot of talking and lester as well - maybe it was the howling wind and they couldnt hear each other - but either way its good to see the determination between them!

Claret Murph
20/05/2007, 5:38 AM
Well weather wise it was a wild night to play football , without a doubt our man of the match was Russell he had a great game ( do you think he looks a bit like Joe Cole for Chelsea ) I was impressed with wes and Lester who did very well at the back both could have been in for a hiding due to lack of pace but were fine . McKenna did very well when he came on and was really up for the game and I was happy to see Glynn come on and run into channels which was something that has been missing from our forward line of one , again I would love to see him start againist Bohs .
Now on the flip side Barry had a nowhere game again and how many times have I to said that this season and Derek again only had a 60 minute match , is he fit enough I am not sure for 90 minutes which reminds me near the end of the game we had a free kick from our half and Wes and Lester both had their hands on their knees and looked on their last legs . We may be full time but are the players fit this is my question .
One last thing their goalie had a great game and pulled off two great stops . Was it a penalty when Glynn was pushed I would say 50/50 the ref was near the half way line so he coped out which was easy for him .
All in all I knew we had to be in the lead at half time and seeing that were not I would have taken the draw and that's how it turned out to be

gufcfan
20/05/2007, 2:31 PM
Was listening in on GBFM in tland, during the match and I swear to god when ucd went close near the end b o'c said ''and the ****ing strike went wide". the other lad heard it aswel!

And another thing since when did UCG play in the premier...

He was reffering to them as that of rmost of second half

Classic...

MyTown
21/05/2007, 9:02 AM
i'm nearly sure that the ball was over the line when liam cleared it

i'm pretty sure that there effort was over the line

Disagree Ultra. I was one of the two people behind Gary Rogers goal for the second half. The ball didn't cross the line. I don't know how it didn't, but it didn't

Well weather wise it was a wild night to play football , without a doubt our man of the match was Russell he had a great game ( do you think he looks a bit like Joe Cole for Chelsea ) I was impressed with wes and Lester who did very well at the back both could have been in for a hiding due to lack of pace but were fine . McKenna did very well when he came on and was really up for the game and I was happy to see Glynn come on and run into channels which was something that has been missing from our forward line of one , again I would love to see him start againist Bohs .
Now on the flip side Barry had a nowhere game again and how many times have I to said that this season and Derek again only had a 60 minute match , is he fit enough I am not sure for 90 minutes which reminds me near the end of the game we had a free kick from our half and Wes and Lester both had their hands on their knees and looked on their last legs . We may be full time but are the players fit this is my question .
One last thing their goalie had a great game and pulled off two great stops . Was it a penalty when Glynn was pushed I would say 50/50 the ref was near the half way line so he coped out which was easy for him .
All in all I knew we had to be in the lead at half time and seeing that were not I would have taken the draw and that's how it turned out to be

Top Post Claret - definitely my view of the game too.

Schumi
21/05/2007, 11:48 AM
And another thing since when did UCG play in the premier...

He was reffering to them as that of rmost of second halfTrevor Welch called us UCC when he was reading out the fixtures on EL Weekly a couple of weeks ago too. :rolleyes: We even added an extra 'Dublin' onto the crest to avoid confusion too. :D

pineapple stu
21/05/2007, 12:34 PM
Disagree Ultra. I was one of the two people behind Gary Rogers goal for the second half. The ball didn't cross the line. I don't know how it didn't, but it didn't
You sure? I was fairly much in line with it (that end of the stand), and it looked like it went just an inch over the line - could have sworn I saw the whole of the line coming out behind the ball. There was feck all in it, agreed, but my instinct was that it was in.

Galway fans in Fox's afterwards were saying our first half goal probably should have stood as well.

Those officials were the worst I have ever seen in my life. Have to give credit to the two teams for putting up with them and in fairness actually playing a passably exciting match.

gilberto_eire
21/05/2007, 1:28 PM
You sure? I was fairly much in line with it (that end of the stand), and it looked like it went just an inch over the line - could have sworn I saw the whole of the line coming out behind the ball. There was feck all in it, agreed, but my instinct was that it was in.

Galway fans in Fox's afterwards were saying our first half goal probably should have stood as well.

Those officials were the worst I have ever seen in my life. Have to give credit to the two teams for putting up with them and in fairness actually playing a passably exciting match.

to be honest he was 2/3 yards offside for the goal in the 1st half!!...as for the scrammble i guess we'll never know since we dont av sky sports there!! :D

Conor H
21/05/2007, 6:54 PM

Stu where were ye beforehand?Zero UCD fans turned up surprisingly...

Was all up for Foxs after but with the monsoon of a night that was in it-a Taxi home was chosen ahead of a walk into Town..:o

Schumi
21/05/2007, 7:37 PM
Stu where were ye beforehand?Zero UCD fans turned up surprisingly...We had some dinner in the hotel (which took ages to arrive) and went straight to the game, it was so manky out that I doubt we would have gone anywhere before the game anyway. Good crack in Fox's afterwards.

DonO'Bate
21/05/2007, 11:17 PM
Great decision by the Pa announcer to play Riders on the Storm by The Doors during the halftime juvenile 5 a side game considering the terrible weather conditions, a very surreal moment.

Mr A
22/05/2007, 9:52 AM
It was also great to be able to hear yourself think in Terryland at half time. To whoever turned down the PA from its crazy levels the last few times I was there- well done that man!

Claret Murph
22/05/2007, 10:39 AM
One always get one .
Turn it down are you kidding where sit next to the press box you can't hear a dam thing , lets hope they get massive speakers in the new stand .

Mr A
22/05/2007, 10:47 AM
Ah, I guess it was just the wind that blew the sound away from where I was then!

Sumac
22/05/2007, 10:57 AM
I also thought it was turned down. Then again howling wind could have been a factor.