Anyone get theres?

Got two today. :rolleyes:

Pity they have the same name & polling booth number on :(

Poor Student
18/05/2007, 9:47 PM
Vote early and often.;)

jebus
18/05/2007, 10:08 PM
Apparantly I don't exist as an Irish citizen at the moment. Went to make sure I'm registered in Limerick a few weeks back, they couldn't find it, thought '**** it I'll do the late registeration' down here in Cork, did it, found out today they didn't bother processing it, but my flatmate got his polling card today, along with a guy called Rick Chamberlain, who suppesedly lives with us, so I've decided I'm going to impersonate him on polling day so I get to vote. So yep I have experienced the polling card mess :)

GavinZac
19/05/2007, 12:22 AM
Apparantly I don't exist as an Irish citizen at the moment. Went to make sure I'm registered in Limerick a few weeks back, they couldn't find it, thought '**** it I'll do the late registeration' down here in Cork, did it, found out today they didn't bother processing it, but my flatmate got his polling card today, along with a guy called Rick Chamberlain, who suppesedly lives with us, so I've decided I'm going to impersonate him on polling day so I get to vote. So yep I have experienced the polling card mess :)

Reported this post to the gardai, thats what you get for your blueshirt leanings! :p

pete
19/05/2007, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't mind if i got two different polling cards but two identical ones arriving on the same day is no use to me. :p

I changed my vote to Dublin years ago but I was still registered at my family home until recently. You have to wonder how accurate the vote is when they can't centralise the system. It would be simple to implement as anyone over the age of 16 (i think) has a unique PPS number...

dahamsta
19/05/2007, 6:02 PM
Another rant about this here (http://gainford.blogspot.com/2007/05/voting-register-my-arse.html). Another example of Fianna Fail incompetence.

adam

sligoman
19/05/2007, 11:18 PM
Got mine Thursday, one missing though.

GavinZac
19/05/2007, 11:56 PM
im curious as to how this is fine fail's fault? i'd hope no particular party has control over the voting register after all.

beautifulrock
20/05/2007, 12:25 AM
Who actually controls the voting register, is it each individual count council or is there a central control in place. I cannot see how an individual political party can control who receives a card.

dahamsta
20/05/2007, 1:19 AM
im curious as to how this is fine fail's fault? i'd hope no particular party has control over the voting register after all.Fianna Fail is in Government. Hello?

Bald Student
20/05/2007, 1:58 AM
Fianna Fail is in Government. Hello?Hello,
Where I live it's a FG/Lab alliance on the council. Proof, if anyone needs it, that changing government won't make a tap of differnece to the country.

pete
20/05/2007, 11:31 AM
Hello, Where I live it's a FG/Lab alliance on the council. Proof, if anyone needs it, that changing government won't make a tap of difference to the country.

The government runs the country via a cabinet of Ministers. The Minister for Environment (this includes local government portfolio) tells the local councils what to do as he funds the majority of their budget.

You can suggest no difference between the government options but local government has feck all power.

dahamsta
20/05/2007, 1:14 PM
What pete said. The project to update the register was managed directly by the incumbent. They did a great job, what?

They should put the Revenue in charge of it. They know where everyone lives, and what they're entitled to.

adam

GavinZac
20/05/2007, 1:22 PM
Perhaps they're waiting for electronic voting.

pete
20/05/2007, 1:29 PM
I think one of the big problems with FF lead governments is the inability to cast adrift Minister unable or incapable of delivering. Cullen is the obvious example constantly shuffled between departments as he makes a mess one after the other. Ivor Callely had to be dragged literally from his office. How does Willie O'Dea become a Minister on anything else other than politics.

PPS number is perfect for centralised system. It should be simple electronic process of moving voters from one constituency to another. Also prevents double voting.

BohsPartisan
20/05/2007, 3:01 PM
PPS number is perfect for centralised system. It should be simple electronic process of moving voters from one constituency to another. Also prevents double voting.
Don't bet on it. There are people with more than one PPS number (not supposed to happen but does particularly with self employed, plus PPS numbers are not linked to your current address unless you actually tell the department of Social and Family Affairs you have moved.

pete
20/05/2007, 3:36 PM
Don't bet on it. There are people with more than one PPS number (not supposed to happen but does particularly with self employed, plus PPS numbers are not linked to your current address unless you actually tell the department of Social and Family Affairs you have moved.

I suppose you would have to ensure people register their PPS number at a specific address to allow them vote in that constituency as opposed to allowing people just turn up on the day. Not perfect but a whole lot better than current mess.

Bald Student
20/05/2007, 3:41 PM
The government runs the country via a cabinet of Ministers. The Minister for Environment (this includes local government portfolio) tells the local councils what to do as he funds the majority of their budget.

You can suggest no difference between the government options but local government has feck all power.Cool,
You probably know more about the inns and outs of this than me but I definately thing that one of the reasons local government is in such a state in this country is because noone ever holds it responsible for its mistakes.

In any case, this is probably off topic.

Saint Tom
20/05/2007, 5:04 PM
i got two polling cards at different adresses and different constituencies (one family and one rented) in two different council areas of Dublin. I wouldnt mind but I never applied to be added to a register in my rented accommodation.

the responsibilty does lie with the minister who's brief does include local government and the register

BohsPartisan
20/05/2007, 5:31 PM
I suppose you would have to ensure people register their PPS number at a specific address to allow them vote in that constituency as opposed to allowing people just turn up on the day. Not perfect but a whole lot better than current mess.

Aye, as it is, you usually only find out they are at a new address if they actually have some dealings with the DSFA.

pete
20/05/2007, 5:34 PM
the responsibilty does lie with the minister who's brief does include local government and the register

Good old Dick Roche. How many times does he have to mess up lose his job? The sad thing he will probably top the poll in Wicklow.

Poor Student
20/05/2007, 6:46 PM
Should someone exercise two votes in different constituencies due to administrative feck up are they actually committing a crime?

kingdom hoop
20/05/2007, 7:01 PM
Should someone exercise two votes in different constituencies due to administrative feck up are they actually committing a crime?

Temptation is not an excuse!

Erstwhile Bóz
21/05/2007, 8:53 AM
Back to basics. Stamp people's hands when they vote, or dip their finger in indelible ink. Highly cost-effective as the local authority could just requisition the stamps from the local nightclubs.

passinginterest
22/05/2007, 9:48 AM
Got 2 polling card myself so think I'll vote before work and again on the way home! May have gotten 3 haven't checked if I got one in Wexford yet. Problem seems to be the name of my apartment block. There's 3 blocks on my road and all used to be called Manor Villas, my landlord bought my full block years ago and changed the name to Manor Court (the others remain Villas). When I registered to vote here instead of Wexford a few months ago they seem to have come to the conclusion that 2 people with the same name and almost identical addresses exist! Either way it's a bit of a farce. I'm so tempted to try and vote twice just to see if I can get away with it.

Poor Student
22/05/2007, 12:05 PM
The younger brother got a second one today. He's never lived anywhere else, never signed himself up to the register. There's no anomalies that should have led to this.

Bald Student
24/05/2007, 5:38 PM
For all my talk I went along to the polling station today with my card and there was someone else's name beside my number. I'm now disenfranchised and a bit p***ed off.

Ceirtlis
24/05/2007, 6:42 PM
The younger brother got a second one today. He's never lived anywhere else, never signed himself up to the register. There's no anomalies that should have led to this.

Campaigners for different parties sign you up to the register if they know the names of the people in the family. I know i never signed up for the register but got called for jury service- which is done from the register- with my name and address spelled wrong.

Poor Student
24/05/2007, 7:10 PM
For all my talk I went along to the polling station today with my card and there was someone else's name beside my number. I'm now disenfranchised and a bit p***ed off.

Wasn't Student Mullet was it?

Bald Student
24/05/2007, 7:22 PM
Wasn't Student Mullet was it?
No it was some fella called Brian Beehan or something like that.

The thing is, I checked the register again when I got home and I'm deffo on it so I'm going in again tonight to try to sort it out.

Poor Student
24/05/2007, 7:26 PM
No it was some fella called Brian Beehan or something like that.

The thing is, I checked the register again when I got home and I'm deffo on it so I'm going in again tonight to try to sort it out.

How is the register arranged anyway? Is it by address or alphabetical order? I could see a second person with the exact same name as me 5 or 10 places above my name when she was crossing me off. Yet I could only see my brother, who got two cards, on it once.:confused:

Bald Student
24/05/2007, 7:30 PM
How is the register arranged anyway? Is it by address or alphabetical order? I could see a second person with the exact same name as me 5 or 10 places above my name when she was crossing me off. Yet I could only see my brother, who got two cards, on it once.:confused:When I went in it was by number but I don't know really.

Poor Student
24/05/2007, 7:36 PM
When I went in it was by number but I don't know really.

I meant how do they arrange the numbers. I was clumped together with my family but I could see the names around my group were different surnames except for my doppledanger 10 numbers above me. Just a bit weird.

Bald Student
24/05/2007, 7:38 PM
I meant how do they arrange the numbers. I was clumped together with my family but I could see the names around my group were different surnames except for my doppledanger 10 numbers above me. Just a bit weird.I think that's done by address. When I went it the different desks all had the names of the various roads at them.

Poor Student
24/05/2007, 7:44 PM
Then where's my second voting card, damnit? They can't get anything right.

Schumi
24/05/2007, 8:58 PM
Maybe the names are arranged, within the areas, by the order in which they're added to the register?

pete
24/05/2007, 9:01 PM
Anyone think FF have been deliberately targetting non-FFers to remove them from the register? By the time they realise the "mistake" its too late & they can't vote for the opposition in protest... I suppose the fault in that conspiracy is they would need to be capable of organisation...

:(

Bald Student
24/05/2007, 9:04 PM
For all my talk I went along to the polling station today with my card and there was someone else's name beside my number. I'm now disenfranchised and a bit p***ed off.Success!

I went back, armed with a printout of my name on the online register, and made the man look through the lists on all the different desks and he found me.