PDA

View Full Version : The Owen Garvan Mystery

cheifo
18/05/2007, 6:19 PM
Owen Garvan is quoted in the East Anglian Daily times(May 5th) as "shaking his head in frustration" at being ignored for selection by Irish teams.Given his reputation he should be in the senior squad never mind the U19s who could have done with him.Apparantly he is in Ireland ATM on a break.Anybody know
whats going on?

youngirish
18/05/2007, 6:51 PM
Who knows how Stan thinks? He doesn't seem to have a clue. Looking at the squad and some of the latest call-ups there's a number of players noticable by their absence. Garvan, O'Callaghan, Best and McCann for starters.

cheifo
18/05/2007, 8:26 PM
Point taken YI but why also did McCaffery ignore him for u19s?Ipswich Town fans rave about his ability.

dr_peepee
18/05/2007, 9:15 PM
The best omision is justified given the strikers available, but yeah any irish midfielder playing regularly in the championship has every right to feel agrieved.

Bungle
19/05/2007, 9:02 AM
Living in East Anglia (albeit in Norwich) I can tell you all that everybody I have spoken to rave about this kid....and that includes Norwich fans.

He's a very young lad but surely with his undoubted talent will become an Irish international in the future. Stan has been dealt a cruel hand but for him to ignore O'Donovan is highly questionable(who I have never seen but deserves a look) and to ignore a lad that is considered one of the best young midfielders outside the premiership is incredible. Why not call up Shane Supple who is now starting for Ipswich over Colgan, who is an average goalie at best. He's got time on his side and could become a top goalie. I can probably support Murphy, but one could argue that Spillane is more deserving, as likewise he is young and is playing at a much higher level than Murohy.

Seeing as this tour is developing into a farce, it would be better to turn it into something of a development squad for the future. This would be invaluable for the lads mentioned above, who will surely go on to become squad players at least.

drummerboy
19/05/2007, 10:02 AM
Its obviously an anti-Dublin bias.;)

Risteard
19/05/2007, 10:31 AM
Who knows how Stan thinks? He doesn't seem to have a clue. Looking at the squad and some of the latest call-ups there's a number of players noticable by their absence. Garvan, O'Callaghan, Best and McCann for starters.

George?
Too old.

youngirish
21/05/2007, 11:30 AM
George?
Too old.

He's a similar age to Peter Murphy but plays at a higher level.

pateen
21/05/2007, 4:25 PM
Yeah WTF is Peter Murphy, Carlisle yeah a world class side there and now he’s not even playing with them.
Regarding the U-19 its just baffling how McCafferery didn’t pick him

Bluebeard
22/05/2007, 5:32 PM

George?
Too old.
That, and he's dead now too. R.I.P.

Sligo Hornet
22/05/2007, 7:19 PM
Its obviously an anti-Dublin bias.;)

And what's wrong with that?;)

kev mcq
22/05/2007, 11:08 PM

:D Post of the century :D:D

pateen
10/07/2007, 11:32 AM
I see Owen is back in the papers again.
Apparently one of his team mates has critised him for taking leave during pre-season training. Any body know what might be up. He says its personal reasons.

ofjames
10/07/2007, 1:55 PM
Rumour has it he has returned to ireland vowing to never play for ipswich again. lets hope he see's sense.

Over the post
10/07/2007, 2:26 PM
From the BBC website today:

Garvan joins Ipswich pre-season
Ipswich midfielder Owen Garvan has rejoined the squad at their Loughborough University training camp.
Garvan returned to the club at the weekend after returning to Dublin because of personal problems.

The 19-year-old's sudden departure placed question marks over his future at Portman Road.

But he told Ipswich's official website: "It's good to be back training again and I'm really looking forward to the trip to Loughborough."

OwlsFan
12/07/2007, 6:39 AM
I'm really looking forward to the trip to Loughborough."

That's a first :D

Qwerty
16/07/2007, 12:24 PM
This one isn't going away

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=28482

I really would like to know what 'things going on in Dublin' means, hopefuly that is not a reference to some skanky mott.

youngirish
16/07/2007, 12:36 PM
This one isn't going away

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=28482

I really would like to know what 'things going on in Dublin' means, hopefuly that is not a reference to some skanky mott.
My heart bleeds for him. I'm glad I never had to be away from my family at 19 while earning 5 grand a week and playing week in week out in front of 20 thousand plus supporters for a team in England with one of the best records for bringing young players through the ranks.

Obviously he can't afford the 30 quid return Ryanair ticket from Stansted to get home on one of the many days a week that he doesn't have to train.

PS. This is my 1000 post. Do I get anything?

gustavo
16/07/2007, 1:00 PM
So you think he has no right to be homesick because of the wage he gets and the fact that he plays for a good team?Both of which I am sure he is very grateful for.

cheifo
16/07/2007, 1:03 PM
Important thing is he is back at Ipswich and hopefully will have a good season.He seems to be like and respected by everybody there so maybe he should be given the benefit of the doubt.

GavinZac
16/07/2007, 1:09 PM

*ecstatic clapping*

Paddy Garcia
16/07/2007, 8:27 PM
PS. This is my 1000 post. Do I get anything?

Yes there are prizes - but I'm afraid they are for quality not quantity.

Somehow it seems far more than 1000! ;)

Dr. Ogba
18/07/2007, 2:17 PM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=28521

Interesting development...not too sure how i'd feel about this one. He's probably better off staying at Ipswich but there's a very good chance he would get regular premiership football with Derby...

dr_peepee
18/07/2007, 4:26 PM
I'd rather see him stay with Ipswich for the time being... A move to Derby would be a case of 1 step forward then 2 steps back!!

paul_oshea
18/07/2007, 6:23 PM
not necessarily peepee, if he shone in the premiership im pretty sure some club would buy him from derby.

DmanDmythDledge
18/07/2007, 11:47 PM
not necessarily peepee, if he shone in the premiership im pretty sure some club would buy him from sunderland.
Derby you mean.:)

I wouldn't be so sure of him getting first team football at Derby. Granted he will get his chances but Oakley and Jones are good players and I can't see them being dropped by the manager.

dr_peepee
19/07/2007, 7:58 AM
Still very young though. Another season or two before the step up, and he'll still only be 21. I'd sooner see him play every game at Championship for the next couple of seasons rather than sparingly in the Premiership. It's getting harder and harder for the middle to lower premiership teams to blood young players. Too much at stake. (Mark Hughes words last season).

I don't really care about Ipswich or Derby. The overall goal here from an Ireland fans perspective is to have a decent quality central midfielder or there about by the time he's 24 and I think he's a better chance of developing by staying at Ipswich, for the next season at the very least. Not to mention what a season spent in a relegation bettle at Derby will do to his game.

I posted some time back that it was nice that he seemed to be below the radar given his experience for such a young age. I'd say down to the type of player he is. If he was an attacking winger or striker with that level of playing time I'd say he'd have the profile of Giles Barnes or whatever. His recent 'episode' has brought him some attention though.

citizenerased
20/07/2007, 12:21 PM
My mate is friends with garvans brother, he is back in ireland at the minute. He has asked for a transfer at ipswich as he fell out with magilton. The bro told me ipswich turned down a 1.3 million bid from fulham for him..

He is ****sed off with the ireland thing aswell, regarding being left out of the us trip. The under 19 manager told stan not to include him

Wolfie
20/07/2007, 12:26 PM
My mate is friends with garvans brother, he is back in ireland at the minute. He has asked for a transfer at ipswich as he fell out with magilton. The bro told me ipswich turned down a 1.3 million bid from fulham for him..

He is ****sed off with the ireland thing aswell, regarding being left out of the us trip. The under 19 manager told stan not to include him

I see - should everyone keep that to themselves in case its posted up on the internet or something?

passinginterest
20/07/2007, 12:51 PM
I see - should everyone keep that to themselves in case its posted up on the internet or something?

Made me laugh :D

Lawrie Sanchez and his Irish revolution at Fulham, would be an interesting move for Garvan

cheifo
20/07/2007, 11:04 PM
Whats Cafferys problem with him?

kingeric
23/07/2007, 11:29 AM

:D haha.

anyway- i think people might be reading into this a bit too much.
The lad's homesick, why does there always have to be a cynical view?
He was homesick before the arrival of Magilton- so i don't think it's a fall-out.
maybe he just doesn't like the area? Too quiet? Coming from the city he might be more suited to London (fulham) etc..

hope he does settle- could be a very good player one day.