PDA

View Full Version : Dolan is here

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dodge
18/02/2003, 7:52 AM
According to the Sun Dolan is to be appointed new Cork manager with Eamonn Collins taking over Pats....

Enjoy!

dalo
18/02/2003, 8:03 AM
it's not april fools yet is it?:D

I still put money on rico or hill at this stage (not with standing James "Spillane" like exclusives which normally implode quicker than a dolan fart)

;)

Dodge
18/02/2003, 8:11 AM
Wel they do have a two page spread on it and Neil O'Rioirdan is good for eL news...

Apparently Dolan was in Cork talking to Lennox at the weekend

A cork source "I am not sure if anything is done yet, but it certainly looks as though Pat will be Coming In"

Really strong rumours in Inchicore that Dolan was definitely out. Cork job was whispered but didn't take too much notice...

Troy.McClure
18/02/2003, 8:23 AM
Ya, they have it om 104fm up here as well. I never thought that Id see the day that Dolan left Pats, let alone go to Cork!

A good appointment IMO

Pablo
18/02/2003, 8:23 AM
o god, i'm feeling sick

Pablo
18/02/2003, 8:30 AM
hang on a minute, doesnt Dolan have a stake in St Rats?

pete
18/02/2003, 9:09 AM
Apparently Dolan does not have any shares in Pats.

Was strongly rumoured at the end of the season that Pat Dolan would leave Inchicore at the end of the season.

With Lennox seemingly ruling out Rico & Don would seem like Pat Dolan a bit more than a rumour.

Pablo
18/02/2003, 9:20 AM
is this a good or a bad thing? he certainly is passionate about irish football, but is he what we are looking for?

will the fans take to him?

yiddo
18/02/2003, 9:31 AM
Has to be a good thing. He really believes in the league and is not a chancer like Damo. My only worry is I hope he's not here just for the free chips.;)

dalo
18/02/2003, 10:12 AM
if it is ture and I find it hard to believe, then great stuff indeed.

a masterclass stroke but beware the guy has his faults. remember how he drove liam buckley to resignation. the guy is a control freak and we will be playing long ball football. however he can transform a bunch of miscreants into a decent team.

that said I am pretty happy. if anything the likes of woods, o´callaghan, flynn, grady will thrive under his setup.:D

Pablo
18/02/2003, 10:34 AM
The mirror claims that Lennox approached Dolan last week.

its pretty much in all the papers, this is the suprise i was thinking was going to happen.

never in a million years would have thought he would get it though

Neil
18/02/2003, 10:45 AM
Great news. Welcome Pat...

:cool:

ian
18/02/2003, 10:48 AM
Has to be a good thing if he is the manager of our team.If he is the manager lets give him the chance come on city.If and when that is.

niamh
18/02/2003, 10:48 AM
surprise is the word. the Echo on the ball as ever eh?

Neil
18/02/2003, 11:06 AM
It's Dolan's enthusiasm for the eL is what is his best quality IMO. He was Commercial manager when Kerr won the league for Pats (I think) and I can't see him being too happy with the mess that Noelle and Jim Murphy have made of Marketing and merchandise.

He's professional and won't put up with **** from people.

One or two slackers in the City camp might find themselves on their way. Uh oh Billy....

Doutchaboy
18/02/2003, 11:17 AM
This is the best news possible ! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

pete
18/02/2003, 11:20 AM
Still undecided on Pats imminent appointment.

Suppose with Dolan you also get a PR man into the bargain & suppose he likely to bring greater exposure & passion to city. St Pats seem to have a good community spirit going so maybe Dolan could pass on some tips to Lennox.

Biggest problem i can see is Dolan may not be able to contain himself as team manager & will almost certainly step on a few of the current backroom peoples toes. Whether this is good or not is debatable...

Would Dolan be a better Club Manager as opposed to Team Manager? Is he only going to be given the job so he can pass on how Pats always used to beat us?

;)

dalo
18/02/2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by pete
Still undecided on Pats imminent appointment.

Biggest problem i can see is Dolan may not be able to contain himself as team manager & will almost certainly step on a few of the current backroom peoples toes. Whether this is good or not is debatable...

Would Dolan be a better Club Manager as opposed to Team Manager? Is he only going to be given the job so he can pass on how Pats always used to beat us?

;)

good point. i remember when chatting to trapper tracy (liam buckley's right hamd man) he said dolan was a brillant motivator and a amazing reader of the game. however he was a control freak and drove buckley out of the club.
i couldn't see dolan being happy with just a team role.

that is why i suspect he has got the role of club manager. noelle and jim murphy won't last long that's for sure. dolan is pretty direct guy;)

btw does the club manager job also involve a first team management role if not then there is no way you could have dolan, lennox and say rico in the club:D

Pablo
18/02/2003, 12:32 PM
Dolan linked with Pats exit – report

A morning newspaper report suggests that Pat Dolan is about to end his 15-year association with St Patrick’s Athletic, with strong speculation linking him with the vacant manager’s position at Cork City.

A report in The Sun claims that debilitating losses to the Richmond Park playing staff – goalkeeper Seamus Kelly and strikers Ger McCarthy and Philip Hughes have all left the club since the end of the season – have precipitated Dolan’s exit.

Dolan has become synonymous with the Saints over the past decade and a half, but a section of the club’s supporters launched a campaign of terrace criticism of the manager during last season, when Pats greatly underachieved and were relegation play-off candidates right up to the last day of the league season.

Coming just months after the player registration fiasco that saw the club demoted to third place in the table after finishing the 2001/02 season on top of the table, it was enough to spark mounting unrest amongst the club’s faithful.

And while the club outwardly backed Dolan, it has been alleged that Eamon Collins, the club’s coach, is being groomed for the step-up to the manager’s seat before the beginning of next season.

The burly 34-year-old was reportedly spotted in the Cork area over the weekend, leading to speculation that he had met with Cork City Chairman Brian Lennox regarding the manager’s job at Turners Cross, which has been vacant since Liam Murphy’s decision to step down at the end of last season.

A series of high-profile managers are reportedly in the running for the job, including former Liverpool and Denmark player Jan Molby, sacked by Hull City earlier in the season, and Bruce Rioch, Arsene Wenger’s immediate predecessor as manager of Premiership giants Arsenal.

Dolan is expected to respond to the speculation in his weekly newspaper column on Friday.

eleven-a-side

Shelsman
18/02/2003, 12:44 PM
Who ate all the pies?

Shelsman
18/02/2003, 12:45 PM
Seriously though, I think he would be a fantastic appointment for Cork.:cool:

cfcgirl
18/02/2003, 12:51 PM
i think dolan would b great 4 cork city

Doutchaboy
18/02/2003, 1:01 PM
I Couldn't agree more. Its almost too good to be true - fingers crossed

dalo
18/02/2003, 1:23 PM
the club can always use him as a bouncy castle during his time off or else employ players to run around him at training to keep fit.

i am sure he will he will he bleed blood, sweat and dolmio for the club:D

Verdi
18/02/2003, 1:30 PM
Originally posted by pete
will almost certainly step on a few of the current backroom peoples toes.
GOOD!

Cheerio Noelle and Jim. Pat will get some proper people in to do ye're jobs. He won't take any **** from Liam "Technical Director" Murphy either. Only slight worry is who the assistant would be... not Patsy or any of the cronies anyway. Stuart Ashton ok but does he have his own guy?

Verdi
18/02/2003, 1:31 PM
Originally posted by dalo
the club can always use him as a bouncy castle during his time off or else employ players to run around him at training to keep fit.

Shut you're hole will ya... You're always the same ya Mayfield knacker.

Doutchaboy
18/02/2003, 1:32 PM
Jim Murphy is actually not too bad but Noelle is a comlete muppet and will not survive under Big Pat

Dodge
18/02/2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by Verdi
Only slight worry is who the assistant would be... not Patsy or any of the cronies anyway. Stuart Ashton ok but does he have his own guy?
Doubt it as his assitant at Pats (eamonn Collins) is rumoured to be taking his place at Pats :)

mucksavage
18/02/2003, 1:48 PM
what evr happened richo??? wudn't complain to pat either but we gotta hold d gud signings we got last yr. any news of new bodies coming in?

dahamsta
18/02/2003, 1:52 PM
Shut you're hole will ya... You're always the same ya Mayfield knacker.

Handbags at dawn.

adam

eoinh
18/02/2003, 1:53 PM
he has a reputation for long ball tactics.

with the players we have thats something we can do without.

it could be a bad move.

i have an open mind though.

ian
18/02/2003, 2:01 PM
Hi ya city girl how did you get on in scotland and i agree with you an big pat for city.

Neil
18/02/2003, 2:09 PM
Some interesting stuff here:
http://indsaints.proboards9.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1045551747

Pats fans say it's good for them and good for City...

dalo
18/02/2003, 2:48 PM
their criticisms of him are interesting alright. i only wish we had someone as unsuccessful (overseeing 2 league titles).

i thik pat's could regret the day he goes. they are going down the tubes anyway - not because of dolan but because their best players are over the hill or retired (osam, russell) and their better younger players are leaving.
my worry about dolan is that he might step on too many toes at the club (and no that isn't a fat joke):cool:

Dodge
18/02/2003, 2:59 PM
Well most of our criticism is based on his dual roles of MD (losing money, no work done on ground, 15 points) Manager (terrible football, nearly relegation) and utter contempt of anybody who dared question him. The man is an egomaniacal cry baby. Did a lot for us but in the last 3 years brought us back to where we started from

dalo
18/02/2003, 3:01 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Well most of our criticism is based on his dual roles of MD (losing money, no work done on ground, 15 points) Manager (terrible football, nearly relegation) and utter contempt of anybody who dared question him. The man is an egomaniacal cry baby. Did a lot for us but in the last 3 years brought us back to where we started from

do you think dodge that he could be a bad thing for city ?

i myself do worry about his controlling tendacy,

Dodge
18/02/2003, 3:04 PM
He should be OK at City as he hasn't buuilt the legend status there (as undeniably he had here!) That was the main problem He start believing his own hype and thought he was untouchable...

Can be a brilliant motivator but last year the pats players were very unhappy.

I'm happy about it though

Colm
18/02/2003, 3:10 PM
Absolutley fantastic news. Dolan would be great for City, he has had plenty of success over the years and his personality would boost the clubs profile to a huge extent. I really hope that he does get the job and I for one will fully back him right from the start.

Welcome to CCFC Pat

Colm
18/02/2003, 3:19 PM

Shut up will ya Dalo, you're the same fella who was giving out when you thought people were getting too personal about Liam Murphy a few months back.

dalo
18/02/2003, 3:25 PM
Originally posted by Colm
Shut up will ya Dalo, you're the same fella who was giving out when you thought people were getting too personal about Liam Murphy a few months back.

u must be waiting for that one for months:D

a bit lardy urself ? apolgies to all fat people everywhere.

btw I am in favour of dolan and i did say last year he was the one I would like to see manage the club where as some of the anti -murphy stuff was way out of order.

think is colm i think you would have laughed if he wasn't going to be the next manager and I am sure you indulged in a fair bit of fat dolan in the shed.

chill man;)

Colm
18/02/2003, 3:34 PM
colm i think you would have laughed if he wasn't going to be the next manager and I am sure you indulged in a fair bit of fat dolan in the shed.
As a matter of fact, Dolan bashing is one of the few things I have tried to refrain from over the years as I have always had a lot of time and respect for the guy.

and btw, I have been waiting for that one for months.:D

dalo
18/02/2003, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by Colm

and btw, I have been waiting for that one for months.:D

:D :D :D :D fair play

foureyes
18/02/2003, 3:51 PM
I wouldnt be against dolan, he knows the league inside out and would surely be a better choice that Hill or O'Riordan. He has been at pats for ages and things have gone a bit stale up there.

Our squad is much better than pats I feel, and surely he can add some set-piece nous to our side which is certainly needed. We hardly ever score from corners, big dan murray can be used as a real threat.

As my subject says, I'd love if he brought osam along with him, he is getting old but I'd rather have him in the side than face him, he causes us no end of trouble any time we play them. Its probably wishful thinking on my part however, I expect a cork-related man to be named as assistant.

dalo
18/02/2003, 3:53 PM
Originally posted by foureyes

As my subject says, I'd love if he brought osam along with him, he is getting old but I'd rather have him in the side than face him, he causes us no end of trouble any time we play them. Its probably wishful thinking on my part however, I expect a cork-related man to be named as assistant.

i think osam is probably the wrong of 30 now. he is 36 years, however a useful squad player in no uncertain terms.

maybe pat scully and charles livingstone as well?

i have a great feeling about this :D

James
18/02/2003, 6:03 PM
threads on pat dolan merged into1
leaving the dolan signings thing on its own - seperate issue altogether

-james-

Colm
18/02/2003, 6:17 PM
Dolan latest here (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2003/0218/soccer/dolanp.html)

Apparently Dolan will meet with the St. Pats board of directors tonight and announce his resignation.

patsh
18/02/2003, 6:18 PM
Jaysus, I hate to stem all the love flowing towards Mr. Dolan, but I'm not exactly overjoyed.
I will wait a while to make any judgements.
Most Pat's fans are thrilled to see the back of him, Set Piece Athletic etc.
The thing that I find really strange is all this "Dolan won't stand for Noelle etc" stuff. It will have f*ckall to do with him, unless it's the club managers job he is getting.
Hmm, maybe he is and Damo is going to look after the football ?..;)
So lets see how we all feel say, oh next October?

James
18/02/2003, 6:21 PM
and let me be the first to say

DOLAN OUT :D
hahaha

Neil
18/02/2003, 6:26 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
unless it's the club managers job he is getting.
Hmm, maybe he is and Damo is going to look after the football?
You might be onto something there! Maybe it was the Club Manager job Dolan was in Cork for? Rico was rumoured to be spotted in Roco Park Hotel last Saturday aswell.

Now that would be heaven!

Citymark
18/02/2003, 7:45 PM
I think Pat Dolan, would be an excellent manager for the club.
His knowledge of the league is second to none. He's passionate about football and he has had the results to show it. He spends a lot of his time watching players in lower leagues. I'm living in Wexford and you would often see him at Leinster Senior League games. Good for spotting talent. Hope he does get the job, at least we will have a charismatic manager...unlike Gunther used to be!!!!:D