17/05/2007, 5:52 PM
Just on Red FM

Pablo
17/05/2007, 6:00 PM
delete

micls
17/05/2007, 6:01 PM
Congrats to him.

Amazing what a few months in the Reading reserves can do for you.....

DO we get money from this?

GavinZac
17/05/2007, 6:03 PM
If he has been called up, its a shambles. He was clearly one of if not the best defenders in the league last season, why has he been called up now, having not played senior football in 6 months? Will the "significant improvement" claims made about kevin doyle now be made for bennett, despite not figuring for the seniors?

finnpark
17/05/2007, 6:10 PM
Surely this is a joke. :eek:

I think we need a new manager.

Pablo
17/05/2007, 6:13 PM
If my calculations are correct he hasnt played a first team game since we played Derry in November 2006, because of the crossover in seasons!

IMO he's more than capable, but why not last year!

Dodge
17/05/2007, 7:53 PM
Dillon and Hawkins are better, and playing regularly. I'd have Daragh Maguire ahead of him too but that might be the bias...

SÓC
17/05/2007, 7:55 PM
Stan was impressed with Benno when he saw him play in last year' Setanta final. I doubt he's seen him place since

DmanDmythDledge
17/05/2007, 8:11 PM
IMO he's more than capable, but why not last year!
He has only been called up now as first teamers aren't going and a few more dropped out.

pete
17/05/2007, 8:57 PM
Stan was impressed with Benno when he saw him play in last year' Setanta final. I doubt he's seen him place since

I read he scored his first goal for Reading reserves last week so Stan probably watched that & could see he could handle the step up in class.

tetsujin1979
17/05/2007, 10:03 PM
Reading's reserves won the Premiership Reserve League win, Bennett scored and won MOTM. Pics of the goal, and Bennett receiving his award here: http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1026235,00.html?ptvParm=
There's nothing on Reading's site about him getting a call up.

Pablo
17/05/2007, 10:47 PM
Confirmed

pete
17/05/2007, 10:52 PM
Confirmed

Link?

(no whooshes on this forum)

Risteard
17/05/2007, 10:53 PM
Dillon and Hawkins are better, and playing regularly..
:eek:
Serious?
I'd have Maguire down as a cut above those two.
Jason Gavin's easily best defender in the league but i think he's injured
This is an awful decision.
He hasn't played a full competitive league game in months.

Pablo
17/05/2007, 10:56 PM
Link?

(no whooshes on this forum)

The man himself confirmed it

pete
17/05/2007, 10:59 PM
Ignoring the fact he is a former City player is a complete joke calling up a Premiership reserve player.

:eek: :rolleyes:

Pablo
17/05/2007, 11:02 PM
Ignoring the fact he is a former City player is a complete joke calling up a Premiership reserve player.

Consisering when he was in the form of his life he didnt make the B squad

eirebhoy
17/05/2007, 11:03 PM

add O’Cearuill, O’Halloran and O’Brien to that list.

pete
17/05/2007, 11:19 PM
Reading won a playoff for the Premiership reserve league title:

They played the following team from Bolton.

Bolton: Al-Habsi; Gbermie, Jamieson, Augustyn, Fojut (c); Cassidy, Sissons, Basham (Thompson 50), Wolfe (Brooks 50); Obadeyi, Wolze (Sheridan 57) Subs: Kazimierczak, Ellis

Yes. Who?

Staunton just called up Gleeson from Wolves who has never started a game for that team. :rolleyes:

Apparently he wanted Ward but he was injured. What chance he asked Mick McCarthy if any other irish lads in the squad. :D

micls
17/05/2007, 11:54 PM
How does a player who wasnt good enough for the B team 6 months ago while with City, become good enough to play for the seniors without playing a senior game in that time

GavinZac
18/05/2007, 12:05 AM
How does a player who wasnt good enough for the B team 6 months ago while with City, become good enough to play for the seniors without playing a senior game in that time

If theres any justification for it, its really scraping the barrel time for staunton at the moment and he's not going, or has not had, any better opportunity to see him train, though obviously if he had turned up for city v red star or something like that this might've happened a bit sooner.

knowing reading's shady tactics however, im not too pleased with the idea of benno and joe sharing a room for a couple of weeks. Dolan's influence on Doyle, and Doyle's influence on bennett lead to transfers, lets hope bennett doesnt act as "advisor" to joe - although with a long contract and hopefully an international cap, joe would fetch a nice sum.

BohsFans
18/05/2007, 12:19 AM
THIS HAS NOT BEEN REPORTED ANYWHERE!

Did you dream it?

Incidentally Ward was called up, but picked up a knock against WBA last night and had to decline.

tetsujin1979
18/05/2007, 1:43 AM
It's not on Reading's site, it's not on any Reading message boards, it's not on breakingnews.ie, rte.ie, or fai.ie.
No mention on Red FM's site, despite their (alleged) announcement. and the same person that heard it, confirmed it from "the man himself"

Risteard
18/05/2007, 2:04 AM
This is true lads.

Row Z
18/05/2007, 7:57 AM
nothing on this mornings news/sports reports?! altho it did say that theres the possibility of 1 more player gettin the nod. a bit tight considering that the plane is leaving today!! :eek:
IMO sean dillon should get the call ahead of bennett. he's playing regularly at right full and alot of fans and journalists have taken notice of his solid performances, most notably his level headed debut in Ibrox. tends to fly under the radar tho bcoz of his no nonsense,nothing spectacular approach.
Staunton take note!!

drinkfeckarse
18/05/2007, 8:04 AM
Why would this surprise anyone if it's true!? It's not as if Stan doesn't regularly come up with bizarre decisions. Agree about Sean Dillon. He's done reasonably well with Dundee Utd and considering he has been playing first team football all year he should be considered ahead of the Premiership reserve players that have been called (even if I'm personally happy for Eddie O'Halloran that his lad has been called up).

elroy
18/05/2007, 8:34 AM
Is paddy mccarthy injured?

eirebhoy
18/05/2007, 8:39 AM
The central defenders in the B squad were Bruce, McCarthy (injured) and O'Cearuill. We're currently down to about 8th choice centre half now.

citizenerased
18/05/2007, 8:39 AM
Dont know why everyone is so shocked, its all politics and prestige. Basically he has no time whatsoever for the eL

Bluebeard
18/05/2007, 9:30 AM
Reading won a playoff for the Premiership reserve league title:

They played the following team from Bolton.

Bolton: Al-Habsi; Gbermie, Jamieson, Augustyn, Fojut (c); Cassidy, Sissons, Basham (Thompson 50), Wolfe (Brooks 50); Obadeyi, Wolze (Sheridan 57) Subs: Kazimierczak, Ellis

"Hmmm. Sheridan an Cassidy ah shawly Irish names! Could do a lot worse dan call dom up if day are playing Premorship ru-zuv..."

Thus Spake Gaffuh-thustra.

tetsujin1979
18/05/2007, 9:53 AM
"Hmmm. Sheridan an Cassidy ah shawly Irish names! Could do a lot worse dan call dom up if day are playing Premorship ru-zuv..."

Thus Spake Gaffuh-thustra.

Cassidy plays for the U-19's, he came on against Germany on Wednesday, and Stan was there watching the game

galwayhoop
18/05/2007, 9:57 AM
this tour has decended into a farce! how many who are in the US will be even within an asses roar of the squad come the autumn?

pete
18/05/2007, 10:10 AM
This has still now been reported anywhere... Show me the link!!! :p

tetsujin1979
18/05/2007, 10:12 AM
Is paddy mccarthy injured?
Yeah. he's recovering from a shoulder injury. Supposed to be back in training, but not ready for first team football. No point in bringing him if he's not fit

Torn-Ado
18/05/2007, 10:13 AM
If we win a game it will be the greatest achievement since beating Holland in 2001.

Rams Mc 7
18/05/2007, 11:05 AM
how about it two cobh players on the senior squad..well only ones goin to america but still stephen o halloran has been playin well for villa reserves and wycombe this season and has been in villa squad for the last few games of the season..

eirebhoy
18/05/2007, 11:07 AM
how about it two cobh players on the senior squad..well only ones goin to america but still stephen o halloran has been playin well for villa reserves and wycombe this season and has been in villa squad for the last few games of the season..
They're all Irish at the end of the day. ;)

Bluebeard
18/05/2007, 12:59 PM
this tour has decended into a farce! how many who are in the US will be even within an asses roar of the squad come the autumn?

I told the Gaffuh to go shag off, that I wouldn't go to the US Cup. Granted he had no idea why I accosted him on the street, or who I was, but still, I had to make my point.

BohsFans
18/05/2007, 1:10 PM
Finally! Along with Peter Murphy. St. Ledger OUT.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/soccer/bennett-and-murphy-added-to-irish-squad-for-us-tour-679250.html

cavan_fan
18/05/2007, 1:14 PM
Finally! Along with Peter Murphy. St. Ledger OUT.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/soccer/bennett-and-murphy-added-to-irish-squad-for-us-tour-679250.html

Sad to say Peter Murphy is the first player called up to a senior squad whom Ive never heard of for years.

Soper
18/05/2007, 1:14 PM
Christ almighty

A CARLISLE player.

gustavo
18/05/2007, 1:16 PM
is he a survivor of the Shoddy reign of terror?

Quick research about him says he doesnt play for Carlisle anymore - turned down new contract

charliesboots
18/05/2007, 1:19 PM
Sad to say Peter Murphy is the first player called up to a senior squad whom Ive never heard for years.

ditto

passinginterest
18/05/2007, 1:20 PM
According to this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/carlisle_united/6648109.stm) he didn't sign a new contract. Ipswich were supposed to be interested 2 years ago but he signed a contract extension. 26 years old captain of Carlisle and a defender. Gretna reported to be interested now.

charliesboots
18/05/2007, 1:21 PM
just looked him up, he's recently been released by Carlisle

Soper
18/05/2007, 1:23 PM
What I don't understand is Staunton saying ''I woant cawl up eircum leeag plyuhz cuz it wud b unfairawr'', then calling up Gamble, but not anyone else?

cavan_fan
18/05/2007, 1:25 PM
According to this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/carlisle_united/6648109.stm) he didn't sign a new contract. Ipswich were supposed to be interested 2 years ago but he signed a contract extension. 26 years old captain of Carlisle and a defender. Gretna reported to be interested now.

He's 26?

For Christ sake I'd bring Andy O'Brien he coud do with the games, might help him get a move.

passinginterest
18/05/2007, 1:27 PM
He's 26?

For Christ sake I'd bring Andy O'Brien he coud do with the games, might help him get a move.

27 in October, played over 200 games for Carlisle. Scored 2 goals this season and got 6 bookings. Looks like he'll be moving to a higher level. Sounds like Carlisle really wanted him to stay but couldn't come up with the cash. As far as I can make out he's a full back.

Pablo
18/05/2007, 1:36 PM
Oh ye of little faith, as i said above twas confirmed by the man himself yesterday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=163387875&p=y633884xx&n=163388477

DeNiro
18/05/2007, 1:43 PM
was this peter murphy in malaysia u20 squad in 1997. Was with Blackburn Rovers and St Joey's Boys in Dublin? If so, there's an obvious reason for his inclusion.