PDA

View Full Version : When should City play?

joe
19/07/2001, 11:39 AM
There's been a lot of discussion recently about kick-off times and all that marlarky but which kick-off time do you think would attract the biggest crowd to Turner's Cross*?

*based on the assumption that floodlights are ever installed.

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 11:48 AM
....that means fans are 100% in favour of Friday nights:D
Gerry

Leonard
19/07/2001, 11:52 AM
Sunday is City day. Don't know what other fans think, but I know some of the players are in favour on Friday nights if only to annoy the Dubs and do to them what they've done to us in the last few years - drag them the length of the country after a hard days workon a Friday evening. Still, though, nothing better than getting up on a Sunday morning to a little River of Soul on Radio Friendly and wander down to the Cross. Hit the pub for a few cheeky beers afterwards and wake up in a pool of your own vommit Monday morning, already 3 hours late for work.
Then again, I'm just a simple man, who enjoys the simple pleasures in life.

Peadar
19/07/2001, 11:56 AM
...if only so that Joe will take these floodlights off my hands.
It's a three horse race.

joe
19/07/2001, 12:06 PM
i went for saturday night too, though that might just be because i'm a sad b*stard with nothing to do on a saturday night.

Peadar
19/07/2001, 12:08 PM
...close the poll so we win.
I like to win.

joe
19/07/2001, 12:15 PM
Serious mixed thoughts on this one:

I would prefer to see all league matches (premier & first) to be played at the same time, bar some exceptions like live tv football or derby games, but then again there would be advantages for City to play some matches on Sundays and other under the lights.

Leonard
19/07/2001, 1:08 PM
I would prefer to see all league matches (premier & first) to be played at the same time, bar some exceptions like live tv football or derby games, but then again there would be advantages for City to play some matches on Sundays and other under the lights.

Nice one, Joe. Never has a man said so much without saying a word (with the possible exception of Eoin Hand, that is).

joe
19/07/2001, 1:09 PM
just trying to generate some *intelligent* discussion here len

Leonard
19/07/2001, 1:29 PM
Do want a fight? Are you starting?

joe
19/07/2001, 1:36 PM
you would be strongly advised not to go there len

Leonard
19/07/2001, 1:48 PM
OK

pete
19/07/2001, 2:16 PM
Sunday afternoons but still need lights for mid-week & winter games so we can play matches at 3.00 or 3.30 instead of having to play at 2.00 & finish the games in semi-darkness.

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 2:46 PM
Sunday afternoons leading the way at this early stage but, interestingly, the vote for under lights is higher - although split between Friday & Saturday. Absolutely clearcut, like everything on Leeside!
Gerry

Pablo
19/07/2001, 3:42 PM
dont forget we are moving to the summer , so lights aint really an issue....but Sunady afternoons , with the cross packed to the rafters are what i hope we will return to this year. Remember the buzz when we won the cup, or when we pushed Pats for the league. tremendus as Davy Barry would say

Jim Smith
19/07/2001, 5:23 PM
I'd go for Sunday afternoons for the selfish reason that I hate Sundays 'cos there is nothing to do and you are expected to visit the outlaws.

Seriously though, I'd settle for either of the Saturday options instead if the rest of the league follow suit. It really looks shabby to have games spread out all over the week. Fixed days for matches and fixed mid-week days for replays or postponed (which should never happen now in the land of non-winter football :D ) are a priority.

joe
19/07/2001, 5:26 PM
Originally posted by Jim Smith
It really looks shabby to have games spread out all over the week.

especially now that some teams (Dundalk and Derry) have decided to play on Thursdays and while another, Dublin City, are looking to play on Mondays, if recent reports are accurate.

Jim Smith
19/07/2001, 5:34 PM
I know that clubs struggle financially, but people want to decided if they are a football club with a social club or a social club with a football team....

pete
20/07/2001, 9:57 AM
Slightly off topic but IMO RTE should show live eL games on a Monday instead of fridays. Only problem is with away fans on a Monday but could work for Dublin Derbys.

Sky Monday Night football is useless & I wouldn't consider it competition.

Gerry Desmond
20/07/2001, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by rebel
Slightly off topic but IMO RTE should show live eL games on a Monday instead of fridays. Only problem is with away fans on a Monday but could work for Dublin Derbys.

When was the last time RTE showed a live game that didn't involve a Dublin club?

On the TV thing, I don't think live TV currently does the eircom League many favours. The presentation is poor, the atmosphere doesn't come across and they fail to give updates on games involving non-Dub teams, famously last season when a vital relegation result was completely ignored. It must also be said that many of the games have been fairly dreary too. Premiership games also have their dreary quota, but SKY's top drawer packaging usually hides that from the non-discerning punters.
Personally, I think the league is best served with a professionally presented highlights programme -maybe on Monday evening.
Gerry

City Hero
21/07/2001, 12:28 AM
Waterford V Longford, Cup semi final, April, RSC Waterford. 1-1. But that wasn't league, so it dosen't really count.

Gerry Desmond
21/07/2001, 8:46 AM
I'd forgotten about that one, City Hero!:o
Anyone able to recall another?
Gerry

City Hero
21/07/2001, 6:43 PM
Interesting how the vote for night time football beat the vote for sunday afternoon. If only the campaign hadn't split down the middle.

RedReb
22/07/2001, 6:20 PM
Its like this. Cork City play on sundays at 2 maybe 3 o clock and anyone in Cork who likes to ball will more than likely be playin on a sunday morning. So you have a choice, go straight to the cross filthy dirty and starved with the hunger or go home have a shower have some grub ,[just remember you were probably out last night aswell] think to yourself:rolleyes: **** ill go 2 the pub and watch sky instead. This is wot is killin the crowds. Now u play a game at 6 or 7 on a saturday everyone is free. Free from family, excuse 4 lads to go out early and no work the next morn:p . This is just my view but i know its shared by many. So let me know how you feel.:cool:

aidan
22/07/2001, 7:24 PM
i agree, 100%. why dont u organise a vote. i'm sure u won't get many disagreeing.