PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy - it's the way he tells 'em

fosterdollar
17/02/2003, 2:54 PM
McCarthy advocates calm

Former Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy believes that it does not always pay for managers to lose their tempers.

McCarthy told BBC Radio Five Live that he understood why managers got het up but revealed that getting angry had once backfired on him.

"It's such an emotive sport. Emotions are running high, especially if you've just played," he said.

"If you feel let down, then it angers everybody, whether they be managers, coaches, fans - it even angers team-mates as well."

McCarthy's comments come in the wake of a report alleging that David Beckham needed stitches for a facial injury.

The injury had been caused by Sir Alex Ferguson kicking a football boot which had struck the England captain, claimed the Sun newspaper.

McCarthy remembered a touchline incident during a game when he was manager at Millwall.

"I kicked a bucket and I didn't realise it was full of water," he said.

"I kicked the bucket and it went flying into the terraces. I had to sit down. I had a tear in my eye for about an hour afterwards.

"I've still got a sore toe to this day.

"You've got be careful what you kick - it could be stuck to the ground," he warned.

ooooh thanks for the advice Mick :confused:

patsh
18/02/2003, 10:01 PM
McCarthy seems to have found his level then...
Making inane comments about football events to Radio shows....:rolleyes:
Of course being such an in demand candidate for all the top class management positions going, its a wonder he gets the time to talk to the media......