PDA

View Full Version : Mike Newell "Bloody Maniac"

lofty9
16/05/2007, 10:17 AM
The story is of illegal payments by the Chairman but his views on Newell are interesteing.:D

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=466911&CPID=10&clid=102&lid=4&title=Tomlins+admits+illegal+payments&channel=&

Former Luton Town chairman Bill Tomlins has admitted he made illegal payments to agents during his time at the club, according to the Daily Mail.
Mike Newell (pictured), who was dismissed as Luton manager in March, famously spoke out against bung culture in January 2006, claiming illegal payments between managers and agents were commonplace in the modern game.
But Tomlins, who left the club last month, apparently confessed when he was interviewed by FA lawyers investigating the club to making 13 separate illegal payments totalling £150,000 to seven agents.
"Yes, I broke the rules, there's no doubt about it, but I didn't murder anyone or do anything illegal," Tomlins is quoted as telling the Daily Mail.
"I did wrong and it's now up to The FA to decide what will happen. But you're right - I fall on my sword."
The paper says the payments came to light when Luton club secretary Cherry Newbery presented The FA with documentary evidence of the payments five months after Newell had spoken out about such incidents.
But Tomlins told FA investigators that Newell's zero-tolerance approach turned the process of buying players into a 'nightmare', according to the paper.
"Michael became a nightmare with agents. I had to speak to agents directly - if I hadn't, we wouldn't get the player," he said.
Tomlins apparently described Newell as 'a bloody maniac', and claimed agents feared him.
"He said to one agent, when I was in the room, 'You're a ******* parasite. I'm coming round your house, finding out where you live and I'm gonna rip your ******* head off'.
"You know, that man is evil. He was a nasty boy around the club - a bully."
And he told the paper: "The rules for dealing with payments to agents were poorly policed so, when it came to it, I telephoned The FA to tell them I had been making irregular payments.
"I know it was a breach of the rules, but I thought I had reasonable grounds.
"I broke the rules, no question, from the time we went into the Championship, but I'll tell you it was to avoid the rantings, the ragings and the bullying of the manager."

Bluebeard
18/05/2007, 10:06 AM
Sounds like Newell is one of the more principled men in football.

Was certainly principled in his views on women in football.

CollegeTillIDie
22/05/2007, 7:36 AM
Was certainly principled in his views on women in football.

Even though such views are unprincipled and belong in the Stone Age.

Bluebeard
22/05/2007, 11:56 AM
Even though such views are unprincipled and belong in the Stone Age.

Now now, a principle is still a principle, even if it is, metaphorically speaking, up his arse.

I suspect that after the comments on women in football, "Up his arse" was more literal, should he have been hoping to pull someone who had heard what he said.