PDA

View Full Version : v. UCD

Pages : [1] 2

MyTown
14/05/2007, 11:29 AM
Very early to be previewing this one, but I just want to draw a line under Waterford (especially with a Dundalk supporter posting his delight at the final score :mad: ) Next Friday sees our last game in Series1 and short of a major change in our ability to score we have 23 squeaky assignments ahead in this league.

Thought the following might spice it up a bit for us, even if the first contributor is only being realistic:(

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=60472

Thought the Manager showed the first signs of impatience with the front men when he focused on chances not taken in todays Galway First and while Reggie is out through suspension, I'd expect to see something different up front. The website mentions Billy coming in for Reggie - but I wonder will he make an appearance up front????

Claret Murph
14/05/2007, 11:53 AM
We need to score more than one goal a game which has only happened once this season , I would rather see Mickey Mouse up front instead of Barry at the moment and guess what I only see us drawing again againist UCD 1-1

Schumi
14/05/2007, 11:58 AM
Thought the following might spice it up a bit for us, even if the first contributor is only being realistic:(

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=60472
We hardly ever have a handy three points away from home so I wouldn't be as confident as some. I can't remember the last time we won by more than one goal in an away premier game so it'll be tight again I'd say.

Looking forward to the trip.

GUISAUltra
14/05/2007, 12:03 PM
i'd say it'll be a pretty tight game and i can see it finishing 1-1. UCD are getting some good results at the moment whereas we have lost 2 games in a row.

pineapple stu
14/05/2007, 12:29 PM
I can't remember the last time we won by more than one goal in an away premier game so
2-0 in Derry in 2003, with John Martin and Bambi Gallen scoring. :eek:

Tir Oilean
14/05/2007, 12:53 PM
Narrow win for UCD in my view. Unless of course there are a few major changes in the line out. I've had enough of 4-5-1/4-3-3 lets go 4-4-2 and put Murphs up front. I know that he prefers midfield from an interview that you will see next Friday but we need goals and he can provide them. It's v difficult for O'Flynn up there on his tod in fairness.

gufct
15/05/2007, 2:11 PM
We went 4/4/2 on friday and it didnt work 3/5/2 is our best formation with murphs,Lester and Foley in the middle.last week was a wake up call that no team can be taken for granted as Cork also found out. 2-1 United Murphs 2.

Tir Oilean
15/05/2007, 3:04 PM
3-5-2 is fine but we dot have the strikers unless Murphs goes up front with O'Flynn. Dunno who would be worthy of replacing Murphs in midfield though.

eamo1
16/05/2007, 12:24 PM
we have to go for it in our home games.no home win yet despite some good performances.3-5-2 is the way alright with billy in for reggie and cooke on the right with barry up from with o.flynn,thats a pretty good team.
so it would be
Rodgers
james charles clery
cooke russell foley lester o.brien
moran o.flynn

gufct
16/05/2007, 1:01 PM
iN FAIRNESS ID HAVE rUSSELER OUT WIDE AND mURPHS IN THE MIDDLE

gilberto_eire
16/05/2007, 3:23 PM
we have to go for it in our home games.no home win yet despite some good performances.3-5-2 is the way alright with billy in for reggie and cooke on the right with barry up front with o.flynn,thats a pretty good team.
so it would be
Rodgers
james charles clery
cooke russell foley lester o.brien
moran o.flynn

i take it u didnt travel to waterford....id rather give glynn a game then stick with barry..... he's been tried and tested for yrs now....give the new fella a chance he's only been given a few mins here and there

eamo1
16/05/2007, 3:46 PM
my team is assuming that murph wont be starting on friday night,otherwise he'd obviously be in instead of cooke.no i wasnt in waterford so didnt see how apparently bad moran was.

GUISAUltra
16/05/2007, 5:25 PM
there's no apparently about it. moran missed two of the worst chances you will ever see in the eircom league and if he is starting again then there is serious problems. as gilberto said i'd prefer to see glynn get a start than give barry another chance. IMO i'd play iarlaith up front and give him a proper chance

GUISAUltra
16/05/2007, 5:30 PM
i'd play
Rodgers
James-Clery-Charles
O'Brien-Russell-Foley-Murphs-Treacy
O'Flynn-Davoren.

reggie being suspended gives us a great chance to play 3-5-2 and to see how shane and derek would work on opposing wings because if there is promise then it would definitely be the way to go. i think iarlaith should be given a chance up front. barry has looked so bad that the rest really need to be given a shot

gufct
17/05/2007, 8:24 AM
Iarlaith has been doing exams so thats why he hasnt appeared lately.

GUISAUltra
17/05/2007, 8:28 AM
is he finished his exams yet? or when will he be finished?

Patrick Dunne
17/05/2007, 8:31 AM
He's from Athlone. The first question was very difficult :

Name : _______________

corbyeire
17/05/2007, 9:05 AM
:D :D :D - very good

Conor H
17/05/2007, 10:11 AM
Pd strikes again!!:D :D :D

looping
17/05/2007, 11:34 AM
i'd play
Rodgers
James-Clery-Charles
O'Brien-Russell-Foley-Murphs-Treacy
O'Flynn-Davoren.

reggie being suspended gives us a great chance to play 3-5-2 and to see how shane and derek would work on opposing wings because if there is promise then it would definitely be the way to go. i think iarlaith should be given a chance up front. barry has looked so bad that the rest really need to be given a shot

i m sorry lads who s iarlaith i never heard of him?? :confused:
thanks

gufct
17/05/2007, 11:42 AM
Iarlaith davoren played for the u21's last year good winger but light. Where are you playing yourself now Damo.

Tir Oilean
17/05/2007, 1:13 PM
He was formerly with Athlone Town. Handy player but as gufct said he is light should improve in time. Any chance of you trying to persuade Cousins again? Or is it a waste of your time? You'd make the team no problem in my estimation.

looping
17/05/2007, 3:32 PM
He was formerly with Athlone Town. Handy player but as gufct said he is light should improve in time. Any chance of you trying to persuade Cousins again? Or is it a waste of your time? You'd make the team no problem in my estimation.

i think cousins is looking for players , young players in UK and last time i ve been said i m not wanted but anyway i love this club and yep i wouldn t mind a return to galway but it s not fair to the lads to say i d make the team easily coz it s a totally different team than when i used to play
well as i know UCD as well it won t be easy coz there re well prepared and solid and i think it would be a good idea to put billy up front

Poor Student
17/05/2007, 4:54 PM
Looping, come back to UCD, we need a partner for Paul Byrne. We're playing football in the beautiful style you always wanted now.;)

sligoman
17/05/2007, 5:57 PM
Looping, come back to UCD, we need a partner for Paul Byrne.Are you playing matchmaker for yer players now?:p

Poor Student
17/05/2007, 5:59 PM
Are you playing matchmaker for yer players now?:p

I know you're not familiar with the notion of having multiple decent strikers in your squad but most teams play two decent strikers in what one could call a partnership.;)

sligoman
17/05/2007, 6:01 PM
I know you're not familiar with the notion of having multiple decent strikers in your squad but most teams play two decent strikers in what one could call a partnership.;)Who need strikers when midfielders (http://www.sligorovers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=290&Itemid=98) can get the goals for ya;).

Da Real Rover
17/05/2007, 6:51 PM
I know you're not familiar with the notion of having multiple decent strikers in your squad but most teams play two decent strikers in what one could call a partnership.;)

Clearly you havent witnessed the magic that is Choice Asien

Patrick Dunne
17/05/2007, 10:21 PM
I suppose that when you are living in a dump like Sligo, you can see beauty in the most banal things.

sligoman
17/05/2007, 10:23 PM
I suppose that when you are living in a dump like Sligo, you can see beauty in the most banal things.Oh jaysus, that hurt!:(

Patrick Dunne
17/05/2007, 10:26 PM
I dont have the stinging intellect of a graduate of Sligo IT, but I try
my best ;)

Gaillimh Al
18/05/2007, 11:11 AM
Looks like we could be in for some nasty weather for the game. Strong wind and heavy rain and hailstones at the moment. Hopefully will clear up this evening

Schumi
18/05/2007, 11:21 AM
Looks like we could be in for some nasty weather for the game. Strong wind and heavy rain and hailstones at the moment.
Fantastic.

eamo1
18/05/2007, 1:29 PM
When the new stand is built it wont really matter about the wind as much as it will give good shelter to the pitch and more importantly to the crowd.
my prediction for tonight:ive a funny feeling we could sneak this one,id take a draw to steady the ship after last week but it would be just like us to lose to waterford and beat an in form team like UCD the following week.

GUISAUltra
18/05/2007, 1:30 PM
the weather in galway is suffering from a slight case of scizophrenia today. one minute it is ****ing rain, hailstones and the wind howling and now it has shone up lovely and there is a blue sky. think we'll have a bit of everything by this evening

sligoman
18/05/2007, 1:51 PM
the weather in galway is suffering from a slight case of scizophrenia today. one minute it is ****ing rain, hailstones and the wind howling and now it has shone up lovely and there is a blue sky. think we'll have a bit of everything by this eveningExactly the same here in Sligo.

scotsbeer
18/05/2007, 3:19 PM
I suppose that when you are living in a dump like Sligo, you can see beauty in the most banal things.

for a minute there i thought you said "anal" pd. wouldnt have been incorrect though

MyTown
18/05/2007, 3:55 PM
No point in starting a new thread for this, but John Lester has been included in the Irish squad for the upcoming four nations tournament. More details here.

http://www.eircomloi.ie/news_item_94.htm

I'm glad he's getting some recognition for his performances. He had a fantastic start to the season particularly in Cork and Tolka, and I was saddened to hear he was the target of less than pleasant stuff from some who travelled to Waterford last week.

Patrick Dunne
19/05/2007, 9:24 AM
The EL selection is supposed to feature emerging talent. Derry City and ourselves are the only clubs with experienced EL players in the squad.

As it stands, we will be missing John for the game against Bohs. The squad is small enough as it is. Normally, I would be delighted to see a United player represent the EL, but in this case it dould have been McKenna, Glynn or Cooke instead. Lester is in his mid-twenties.

This tournament features the Highland League, and selections from the Welsh League and the Conference.

United should not release Lester. You can bet your bottom dollar that Drogheda, Cork or Pats would not release any of their first team regulars.

DmanDmythDledge
19/05/2007, 10:12 AM
The EL selection is supposed to feature emerging talent. Derry City and ourselves are the only clubs with experienced EL players in the squad.

As it stands, we will be missing John for the game against Bohs. The squad is small enough as it is. Normally, I would be delighted to see a United player represent the EL, but in this case it dould have been McKenna, Glynn or Cooke instead. Lester is in his mid-twenties.

This tournament features the Highland League, and selections from the Welsh League and the Conference.

United should not release Lester. You can bet your bottom dollar that Drogheda, Cork or Pats would not release any of their first team regulars.
There has either been a mistake or Lester has been pulled out as he is not in the squad anymore.

scotsbeer
20/05/2007, 9:08 PM
No point in starting a new thread for this, but John Lester has been included in the Irish squad for the upcoming four nations tournament. More details here.

http://www.eircomloi.ie/news_item_94.htm

I'm glad he's getting some recognition for his performances. He had a fantastic start to the season particularly in Cork and Tolka, and I was saddened to hear he was the target of less than pleasant stuff from some who travelled to Waterford last week.

nobody played particularly well in waterford and i also thought lester had a ****emare. i dont give personal abuse to anyone wearing the galway united jersey but feel entitled to voice my opinion if someone is having a crap game. he has had a good season so far and anyone has an off game so get over the fact that he had a crap game

MyTown
21/05/2007, 9:23 AM
nobody played particularly well in waterford and i also thought lester had a ****emare. i dont give personal abuse to anyone wearing the galway united jersey but feel entitled to voice my opinion if someone is having a crap game. he has had a good season so far and anyone has an off game so get over the fact that he had a crap game

Who denied you your right to your opinion?
Who mentioned you one way or the other?
Do you want a bouquet of flowers for not giving "personal abuse to anyone wearing the Galway United jersey"?.

You tell me to get over the fact that he had a crap game in Waterford?:confused: I'm well over it.
Get over yourself. Hope your weekend improved since you posted this nonsense.

gufct
21/05/2007, 10:15 AM
Lester got some awful abuse in Waterford including being yelled at to "f**k off back to limerick you fat c**t" . I was disgusted by it and let the person who said it know of my disgust . Also on friday night what was the story with the boos just after the game I hope it was directed at Pat Whelan even if it seemed to be at the team.

corbyeire
21/05/2007, 10:20 AM
no it was definitely the ref that was being booed - but when a few of the players started coming over - you would hope cheering or at least the booing would have stopped - i admit it looked bad enough alright

GUISAUltra
21/05/2007, 11:42 AM
wasnt in the stands at the end of the match was down at the gate congratulating a few of the lads for having a good game. there was a lot of people down at the gate giving abuse to the ref, i threw my 2 cents in as well. i'm pretty sure that nobody was booing anyone on the team because in all honesty it was hard to expect too much. it was a terrible night for football and we just needed to steady the ship after waterford. i said before the game that i'd be happy with a point and i'm still happy with it. now, to focus on the bohs next week and getting another result

Schumi
21/05/2007, 11:50 AM
no it was definitely the ref that was being booed - but when a few of the players started coming over - you would hope cheering or at least the booing would have stopped - i admit it looked bad enough alrightMakes sense, I thought it was a bit much booing your team after a draw with a top half team in farcical conditions.

gilberto_eire
21/05/2007, 1:26 PM
wasnt in the stands at the end of the match was down at the gate congratulating a few of the lads for having a good game. there was a lot of people down at the gate giving abuse to the ref, i threw my 2 cents in as well. i'm pretty sure that nobody was booing anyone on the team because in all honesty it was hard to expect too much. it was a terrible night for football and we just needed to steady the ship after waterford. i said before the game that i'd be happy with a point and i'm still happy with it. now, to focus on the bohs next week and getting another result

i see your point and most others too... but bohs next week, ppl will be happy with a point too, derry,drogs etc..... 90% of the games involve teams (individually )you could be happy with a point with but even if you drew with every one of those teams you'd be struggling to survive we need to start gettings wins just like all the other teams are doing... as we've seen already even against the ''weaker teams'' we dont perform much better and draws and losses can be expected there too..
i think its time the lads started pulling the weight they've been clapd off all year even though it hasnt been anywhere near good enough(btw in case ye'r thinking i didnt boo the ref/players off, im just not opposed to it)

secondly schumi im sorry if i offend you but UCD are no big cats that we should be happy against drawing with..... they are punching well above there weight this year and i didnt think ye we'r much better then bray(i know conditions we'r bad in case you challenge that statement considering the weather)

Schumi
21/05/2007, 2:34 PM
secondly schumi im sorry if i offend you but UCD are no big cats that we should be happy against drawing with..... they are punching well above there weight this year and i didnt think ye we'r much better then bray(i know conditions we'r bad in case you challenge that statement considering the weather)We comfortably beat Bray earlier in the season so I don't know about that. Tbh, I don't mind people underestimating us, it probably helps us. I would have been disappointed with a draw against you guys before the game too but the wind made it such a lottery that a draw isn't too bad.

gilberto_eire
21/05/2007, 2:55 PM
We comfortably beat Bray earlier in the season so I don't know about that. Tbh, I don't mind people underestimating us, it probably helps us. I would have been disappointed with a draw against you guys before the game too but the wind made it such a lottery that a draw isn't too bad.

when i said ye we'r no better then bray dont take that offensively...ya they are our only 3 points this year but we could have easily went in 1 down at half time and they nearly got a goal in injury time..... i would put them on par with sligo!

Schumi
21/05/2007, 3:37 PM
they are our only 3 points this year but we could have easily went in 1 down at half time and they nearly got a goal in injury time..... i would put them on par with sligo!We may have got them on a bad day, Waterford were the only worse team I've seen this year, and Bray seem to have improved since. Sligo didn't look great against us but we were quite poor that day too, there's a good few teams in the middle who could all just as easily beat each other.