PDA

View Full Version : Team For Scots

Seanie
11/02/2003, 9:08 AM
How about the team that Kerr will pick - he should his best eleven and give them at least an hour before he makes a change.

Given - no doubt

Carr - Welcome back
O'Shea - the
O'Brien - with Cunningham injured O'Brien has to be given his chance. His days may soon be numbered at Newcastle and he may not be the top performer that some people have been fooled into believing he is, but I thought he did very well against Arsenal on Sunday and deserves a starting role.
Finnan - about time we got the chance to see how he would do at left-back - have a feeling that Kerr may start with Harte though

Reid - No other option with Kelly out.
Holland
Delap - deserves a chance on his club form - Healy might get the nod however.
Kilbane - we have NO one else - not doing too badly for Sunderland but Sunderland are hardly a barometer - pity Partridge hasn't been called up

Morrsion &
Connolly - Connolly deserves his chance on his club form - the only other option is Doherty

colster
11/02/2003, 9:28 AM
Seanie, have to agree with most of your selection. However Kerr has said that he wants to put out a team most of whom will play against Georgia.
I would say that the team would then be.

Given

Carr O'Shea Dunne Finnan

Reid Kinsella Holland MacPhail

Morrison Connolly

What do you think??

Paddy Mac
11/02/2003, 2:36 PM
Are things really that bad that we have to persist with Harte and Kilbane on the left? The thought is scary.

Can't Dunne play on the left side of back? Put Finnan on the right side of midfield, shouldn't be much of a stretch for him.
Reid is versatile enough to handle the left wing, better option than Kilbane in my opinion.

I would also rest Given, he has nothing to prove. Kiely, and esp Colgan, could use the experience in case of injury to Given down the road.

Kiely/Colgan
Carr O'Shea O'Brien Dunne
Finnan Holland Delap Reid
Connolly Morrison

Seanie
11/02/2003, 2:57 PM
No - not Dunne on the left - Dunne is a big centre-half - he ain't mobile enough for ANY where else. Full-backs need to be able to attack down the flanks in the modern game - all the great sides possess such players. But Dunne no - I'd rather sick with Harte as bad as that would be.

Schumi
12/02/2003, 4:01 PM
Originally posted by Seanie
Dunne is a big centre-half But not as big as he used to be:D

brine2
12/02/2003, 4:08 PM
Announced on the radio:

Kiely

Carr - Breen - O'Shea - Harte

Reid - Kinsella - Holland - Kilbane

Morrison - Doherty

Harte and Kilbane on the left!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooo!

pete
12/02/2003, 4:40 PM
Originally posted by brine2
Reid - Kinsella - Holland - Kilbane

Well Kilbane is the only 1 of those four players getting 1st team top level games.

Just as well i didn't give any money to the bookies today :D

sadloserkid
13/02/2003, 8:19 AM
Humble pie Pete, humble pie! ;)

patsh
13/02/2003, 9:24 AM
Is the Gary Breen who played last night for Ireland any relation to the Gary Breen who plays for some club in London ?

sadloserkid
13/02/2003, 9:31 AM
I believe they're 2nd cousins.

colster
13/02/2003, 10:07 AM
Hey, even Breen would look good beside a centre half like O'Shea.
What a performance. He looked comfortable throughout.
I think a lot of positives can be taken from last nights game in the performances of O'Shea, Reid, Kilbane, Carr and Morrisson.

pete
13/02/2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Humble pie Pete, humble pie! ;)

Why? cos i didn't put money on Kilbane for first goal.

Only watched the highlights (well the 15mins RTE showed) & hard to tell on performance from what they showed.

I was pretty much stunned by the praise heaped on the performance by Hump Dumpy.

:eek:

Schumi
13/02/2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by pete
I was pretty much stunned by the praise heaped on the performance by Hump Dumpy.
I didn't see the highlights, how many times did he mention Roy Keane?

patsh
13/02/2003, 2:23 PM
Well it was a program of two halves....:p
Most of the program was about the match and analysis and then a break. Well I wasn't that surprised about Dumpy, and what could he say? I listened to it on the radio and for most of the game, Ireland were well on top.
Then discussion on RK. Billo trying to get as much controversy as possible, Dumpy relatively restrained until he got annoyed about the Irish Times and Giles saying his piece.
No matter what side of the debate you are on, I would have thought that Giles's contribution made sense and was fair.

Peadar
13/02/2003, 4:34 PM
Just what the doctor ordered!
We were organised, diciplened motivated and creative.
Scotland never threatened us.
Kiely was faultless. Showing that he has every right to be No1.
Carr was outstanding. Looked World Class last night.
Breen worked hard but is still not up to the challenge of a decent team. O'Shea was very mature and dealt with everything getting goalside of his man each time.
Harte did well but his distribution was questionable on more than one occassion.
Kilbane was lively and took his goal well. He's no Damien Duff though.
Kinsella was missing for long spells in the game but handled himself well when called upon.
Holland was a real workhorse and did justice to the captains armband. He was turning up all over the place and did no less than Roy Keane would have done.
Reid shows touches of brilliance.
He's strong and he has a nice delivery.
He needs more top level experience.
Sometimes he played the ball quickly when he had time to put his foot on the ball and look up.
He seems to have a great attitude on the pitch and will challenge a fit Gary Kelly for that position in future.
Morrisson was like a livewire and combined well with Doherty to pull the Scottish defence apart. Took his goal well and his celebration showed just how much he enjoyed it.
Doherty did the Niall Quinn role well.
He created options and casued problems for the Scots.
I wont review the subs as they weren't on long enough.
What we showed was that we know how to score and we know how to hold onto a lead.
The fans were a big let down.
It was the most subdued atmosphere I've ever seen at an Ireland away game.
For too many people it was a chance to have a cheap shot at Glasgow Rangers fans.
It was utter ignorance to wear Celtic shirts to a Scotland International.
Hi to everyone I met.
The corner boys, the Derry City fans (esp. Maribor) the Bohs fans, St Pats fans, Waterford Utd fans, Kilkenny City fan and of course all the Scotland fans.
Bring on Georgia and Albania!

Jam
14/02/2003, 1:30 PM
I was at the game (in the Scotland end) and agree with Peadar that the wearing of Celtic tops particularly at this sort of game is stupid. There has been quite a lot of discussion about this on the tartan army board

www.t-army.com

and in the Irish support there seems to be 3 strands - proper Ireland fans, plebs from Glasgow and extremists from Ireland.

Contrary to what the latter two groups seem to believe Scotland fans are not all Rangers fans - in fact most fans are not Rangers fans. There are plenty of Celtic fans that make up the Tartan Army and a huge number of fans from the smaller teams.

We, like you, are proud of our reputation and don't want it ruined by morons. That's why we have a no club colours unofficial rule cos of the potential for conflict amongst some of the morons.

Equally in the Scotland end there were a couple of guys I spotted wearing Rangers tops - who were booing songs like the Fields of Athenry. These guys who were these two fitba tops to this sort of game are trying to divide Scotland Ireland along the lines of Northern Ireland where we are supposedly Tartan Army Huns (eh?) and you are all fen**ns (eh?).

Luckily they are in the minority and I had a great time with all the Irish I personally met - as opposed to a few fake Irish guys (with accents from the East End of Glesga) who seemed a bit abusive and definitely thought Celtic were the team in green.

bitored
14/02/2003, 2:20 PM
Couldn't agree more...... I was in Japan and Korea and I would say the Irish fans were split 50/50 - Ireland jersies and Celtic jersies - what's the point in that?
Why do so-called Ireland fans insist on wearing the jersey of a British club/PLC? OK some priest from Donegal 100s of years ago might have something to do with it but it still defies logic as far as I'm concerned. If you're going to wear the Celtic jersey then why not Man Utd, Leeds, Spurs, Middlesborough etc etc...... they're all the same to my eyes.

cfcgirl
15/02/2003, 5:35 PM
i went to the scotland ireland match i was wondering did anyone get a match program i couldnt find them. a great weekend was had

Peadar
16/02/2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by cfcgirl
did anyone get a match program i couldnt find them.

Will you act as witness for me that the programmes were like Scottish goals?
I have an unwritten agreement with a buddy of mine to get programmes for each other when the other is not at a game.
He's giving me stick about not getting him one from Wednesday but I swear I did my best to find them.
I asked people in the ground where they got them and they said there was a small cabin outside.
For obvious reasons I couldn't go back out through the turnstiles but none of the stewards could help either as they said they knew nothing about programmes.

a great weekend was had
The match was on Wednesday?

fosterdollar
17/02/2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Peadar

perfect excuse to start the weekend early!!! ;)

Jam
18/02/2003, 1:25 PM
somebody wanted a program fae the Scotland game - go on to

http://www.tartanarmyboard.co.uk/

and go to the ebay section and start a thread saying ye want one - chances are someone will have one

SÓC
04/03/2003, 5:09 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Will you act as witness for me that the programmes were like Scottish goals?
I have an unwritten agreement with a buddy of mine to get programmes for each other when the other is not at a game.
He's giving me stick about not getting him one from Wednesday but I swear I did my best to find them.
I asked people in the ground where they got them and they said there was a small cabin outside.
For obvious reasons I couldn't go back out through the turnstiles but none of the stewards could help either as they said they knew nothing about programmes.

I got to the Stadium very very early, hardly anyone in there when we were there and there was one, tiny tiny programme shed, like the things you'd see on Sunday after mass. They had hardly any programmes I managed to get my hands on one but most people I met couldnt.