PDA

View Full Version : UCD 2-2 Pats

DmanDmythDledge
11/05/2007, 10:11 PM
Good comeback. Pats were good but I think we did just enough to earn the draw. Should be a handy three points next week if we play the way we have recently.

pineapple stu
12/05/2007, 12:28 AM
Late goals from Timmy Purcell and Paul Byrne snatched a dramatic draw for UCD in a thoroughly entertaining game in Belfield Park tonight. The league leaders looked to have the points wrapped up after an hour in which they were largely on top, but a storming come-back from UCD saw the Students' unbeaten run extend to eight games, the longest since a 13-match unbeaten streak in 2004.

Having beaten the Saints already in the League Cup on Monday, Pete Mahon kept faith with the 4-5-1 formation used in Richmond, which meant a first league start for Greg Bolger, while Tony McDonnell made his first league start since the opening day. Unfortunately, the game was to end early for the UCD skipper, as he succumbed to a hamstring injury just a quarter of an hour in.

McDonnell departed just after the best move of the opening phase, when slick passing from the visitors saw Gary O'Neill played through, but his dinked shot over the advancing Matt Gregg only just cleared the bar. Ten minutes later, Keith Fahey went agonisingly close to opening the scoring, but again the ball landed on the right side of the bar from the hosts' viewpoint.

But the goal which had been threatened did eventually arrive ten minutes before the break, Mark Quigley scoring with a superb drive from 25 yards out.

The Saints were at this stage without Cameroon international Joseph Ndo, who limped out of the game shortly before the half hour after picking up a knock in a heavy challenge, but they continued to threaten, and former Student Anto Murphy nearly made it 2-0 just before the break, but Matt Gregg tipped over the bar at full stretch. On the hour mark, it was 2-0, however, as Gary O'Neill arrived to get the final touch on a low ball across the six yard box.

The goal arrived a couple of minutes after Paul Byrne's introduction as a sub, whcih saw UCD move back to a more usual 4-4-2 formation, and it paid dividends as UCD suddenly came right back into the match. Barry Ryan produced a superb save to touch Paul Crowley's back header onto the bar, while Conor Sammon played Derek Doyle through only for Ryan to stand his ground and parry away.

As the game wore on, hesitancy crept into the Saints' game, and from one set piece delivered into the area, the entire Pat's defence left it to each other to clear, which ultimately resulted in a goal line scramble from which they only just survived. From the clearance, Pat's went straight up field, and Matt Gregg had to be sharp to make a good save to deny O'Neill from the edge of the box.

Five minutes from the end, UCD got a lifeline when Conan Byrne sent in a cross from the right, and Timmy Purcell, only on the pitch five minutes, rammed home the loose ball.

It was all UCD now. A minute later, Paul Byrne sent Conor Sammon through, but Barry Ryan was out of his box to avert the danger. But as the game entered injury time, Conor Sammon won a dubious free kick on the side of the area; the free found its way to Paul Byrne at the far post, who tapped home to seal the comeback, and picked up a yellow card in the celebrations which followed for good measure.

UCD: Gregg, Mahon, Bermingham, Kenna, McNally, McDonnell (Crowley 17), C Byrne, McFaul, Sammon, Bolger (P Byrne 53), Doyle (Purcell 77). Subs not used - Quigley, AN Other

Booked - Bolger, Crowley, P Byrne

Att - 935

CollegeTillIDie
12/05/2007, 9:17 AM
Second unused sub was Evan McMillan

Dodge
12/05/2007, 10:54 AM
Thought we dominated for large spells and should've won. Absolutely gutted at the end that two set pieces did us.

pineapple stu
12/05/2007, 11:18 AM
Was the first a set piece?

How ironic that a Pat's fan is unhappy about a tem stealing a point from set pieces! :p

Think Pat's dominated for 65 minutes anyways. Even when we got back into it after that, I never really felt we were going to get anything from the match. Got to be happy with the result from our point of view though. Keeps our run going well ahead of Galway next week.

Schumi
12/05/2007, 11:56 AM
Thought we dominated for large spells and should've won.I'd agree. I think we were a bit lucky to get a draw out of the game overall but with the pressure we had for the last 10 or 15 minutes, there was always a chance of scoring.

I'd much prefer to start with two up front than the 4-5-1 that we've played in the last couple of games. It invites teams on to us and just end up defending too much. It's all very well to say that Sammon holds the ball up well but we don't give him the right kind of ball to do that very much. Too often, it's a long ball which he's expected to win in the air and I think we all know how that's likely to end up.

BTW, was that finish a pay-back for Pats reminding us of the 2-1 defeat in Richmond when they scored twice in injury time in Monday's programme?

John83
12/05/2007, 2:14 PM
I was impressed with the quality of Pats' goals. They can play some really nice football.

Well done to the team for sticking in there and earning the draw - fine comeback.

Pity about Tony Mac though. He's having no luck this season at all.

Poor Student
12/05/2007, 2:36 PM
Thought we dominated for large spells and should've won. Absolutely gutted at the end that two set pieces did us.

Pat's are about the only team in the league I wouldn't be too vexed to see us beaten or outplayed by, they are a better team so I won't worry about what manner we managed to take these results this week as long as we got them. That said, we weren't woeful and carved out a few other decent chances aside from the goals. Fair play to the lads for showing the tenacity to drag themselves back to level scores.

Paul Byrne has rediscovered the Midas touch.:cool:

DmanDmythDledge
12/05/2007, 2:52 PM
I'd much prefer to start with two up front than the 4-5-1 that we've played in the last couple of games. It invites teams on to us and just end up defending too much. It's all very well to say that Sammon holds the ball up well but we don't give him the right kind of ball to do that very much. Too often, it's a long ball which he's expected to win in the air and I think we all know how that's likely to end up.
Agreed, I thought we played much better when we started playing 4-4-2. Sammon was doing well winning the ball upfront but was often on his own. Also in fairness to him he is now winning some balls in the air.

Also thought Mark Quigley was by far the best player on the pitch. Can't see him being in the eL next season.

Aberdonian Stu
14/05/2007, 10:14 AM
Also in a 4-5-1 the 1 has to be able to score goals. Sammon rarely does.

Only1Rovers
14/05/2007, 12:52 PM
Pats are no great shakes, although they convincingly beat us (not difficult at the time) they dont have much about them. They are beginning to be found out.

Bald Student
14/05/2007, 12:58 PM
Pats are no great shakes, although they convincingly beat us (not difficult at the time) they dont have much about them. They are beginning to be found out.True,
There aren't any teams in the league much better than the level of UCD or Rovers. It'll make for an exciting season.

Tir Oilean
14/05/2007, 12:58 PM
Pats are no great shakes, although they convincingly beat us (not difficult at the time) they dont have much about them. They are beginning to be found out.

Have to agree there only1rovers they were mediocre in Terryland and I feel they were lucky to get away with a point. They were much better when I saw them in Turners Cross but didnt look like league winners either. Either way good point for UCD, think ye'll be helping yourselves to 3 points next Friday:(

Aberdonian Stu
14/05/2007, 1:07 PM
What impressed me about this result is that normally we're the type of team that drops leads like this not the one that fights back so it showed great character from the lads.

Dodge
14/05/2007, 2:11 PM
Just for the record we've deserved to win all bar one league game this season, for those who say we're no great shakes...

Jerry The Saint
14/05/2007, 2:21 PM

We are beginning to be found out in that we have a good first eleven but not much else and we are badly affected by injuries to key players, something everyone should have known all along. It's the same scenario that has prevented Cork winning more trophies - a number of top quality players but a wafer thin squad. Drogheda have made the necessary funds available (quite possibly in a reckless manner) to build a strong squad which can cope with a severe injury crisis and should be able to win the league with plenty to spare.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how they could be described as 'no great shakes' in the context of this league (UEFA Cup is a different matter). As usual, UCD fail to get any credit for their results so far - they have an outside chance of a Top 4 place (probably a top-half team anyway) IMO, and will certainly take points off a lot of teams.

Have Sligo really put in an 8-goal turnaround in performance levels since they played Pats (for those who would say that Cork are much better than Pats)?

John83
14/05/2007, 2:45 PM
Pats are playing the best football I've seen from an eL side. I don't think they're being overhyped - like Arsenal across the water, they're just don't have the squad depth to win a league unless their physio is having a dull old time.

Poor Student
14/05/2007, 2:48 PM
Pats are playing the best football I've seen from an eL side. I don't think they're being overhyped - like Arsenal across the water, they're just don't have the squad depth to win a league unless their physio is having a dull old time.

Agreed. I assume they'll add to their squad in the window though.

WeAreRovers
14/05/2007, 3:11 PM
Agreed. I assume they'll add to their squad in the window though.

They sure will, they've just made a loan signing from a Championship club and this lad is far too good for our league.

KOH

Conor H
14/05/2007, 4:02 PM
Good comeback. Pats were good but I think we did just enough to earn the draw. Should be a handy three points next week if we play the way we have recently.

Nobody gets an easy game in Terryland and it'll be far from a handy 3 points for ye.

UCD are more than likely the better side and have had some impressive results to date but it will be very hard for ye to get all 3 points in Terryland.

I'm going with a 2-1 UTD win or the predictable 1-1.

DmanDmythDledge
14/05/2007, 4:49 PM
What impressed me about this result is that normally we're the type of team that drops leads like this not the one that fights back so it showed great character from the lads.
Possibly the biggest difference in our play this season, which is mostly down to more experience IMO.

Dodge
14/05/2007, 6:57 PM
http://www.stpatsfc.com/watch_video.php?id=61

Short highlights of the game

pineapple stu
14/05/2007, 9:52 PM
Cool.

Mind if I link in on the UCD website?

(I know it's on YouTube, but still)

Dodge
14/05/2007, 10:25 PM
NO, go for your life...

Saint MacDara
14/05/2007, 11:27 PM

Sligo,always good for a laugh:D