PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona to play at The Brandywell

Ref
10/02/2003, 12:48 PM
From RTE.ie

It has been confirmed that Spanish giants Barcelona will play a friendly against Derry City at The Brandywell in July, althouth the precise date of the game has not yet been finalised.

The match was made possible as a result of MEP John Hume’s current trip to the Catalan capital, where he has recieved the ‘freedom of the city’ today. Hume is joined in Barcelona by Candystripes’ manager Kevin Mahon and club chairman Jim Roddy.

Gary
10/02/2003, 1:41 PM
How do Londonderry always get such glamour Friendlies? Did they not have Real Madrid recently as well?

patsh
10/02/2003, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by GWA
How do Londonderry always get such glamour Friendlies? Did they not have Real Madrid recently as well?
Because Derry are represented on the world stage by a man of stature and respect who cares about his city and his football club.
Whereas we have intellectual pygmies, ignorant gombeen racists and chancers to represent us !

Gary
10/02/2003, 6:58 PM
LOL :D :D :D

Sorry savo, i was just doing that knowing Id get a rise out of someone. I was hoping twould be Eanna to be honest.

Dont worry bout me.

Oddboy: who do Derry have on the international stage, excuse my ignorance but i really dont know.

Neil
10/02/2003, 7:16 PM
Originally posted by GWA
who do Derry have on the international stage, excuse my ignorance but i really dont know.
John Hume. He was in Barcelona last week to get homoured with freedom of the City. With him there were Roddy and Mahon - the Derry City manager and chairman.

SÓC
10/02/2003, 9:15 PM
Hume is famous around his non-violent political nationalism and his use of a minority lagauge (Gaeilge). Pretty much the same as most Catalans.

Suppose it would be the same as Linfield playing Rangers etc.

joe
11/02/2003, 12:38 PM
apparently they'll be bringing their full squad too

soccercentral.ie (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=8856&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes)

The Sheliban
11/02/2003, 4:58 PM
Doubtless though they aren't going to rearrange any league fixtures to accommodate Barcelona. As of course, they were the ones who kicked up the biggest stink when Shels did that against United last season.

crc
13/02/2003, 4:53 PM
ahh come on - if you're not just even a little bit two-faced in favour of your own team, then you're not really a propper football supporter!:D