PDA

View Full Version : Live TV Games

harps1954
11/05/2007, 11:17 AM
Since the start of the 2005 season, the following teams have featured in the 62 live TV games shown on Setanta, RTE and TG4 (this includes next Monday's Derry v Shamrock Rovers game). This list of games does not include European or Setanta Cup games.

Athlone Town 2; Bohemians 10; Bray Wanderers 3; Cobh Ramblers 1; Cork City 21; Derry City 22; Drogheda United 12; Dublin City 1; Dundalk 1; Galway United 3; Longford Town 4; Shamrock Rovers 10; Shelbourne 15; Sligo Rovers 2; St. Patrick's Athletic 13; UCD 3; Waterford United 1.

Obviously, the above adds up to 124 (62 games x 2 teams in each game). Of the above, Waterford and Cobh's single appearance has been as the away side so all the other teams have featured as the home team at least once.

16 of the current 17 league teams have featured at least once (Dublin City also featured) with Finn Harps, Kildare County, Kilkenny City, Monaghan United, Limerick 37 and Wexford Youths the only sides currently in the LOI not to have featured on 'live' TV since 2005. Harps are the only side who have played Premier Division football who never featured live on TV while they were in the Premier.

Steve Bruce
11/05/2007, 11:22 AM
Is there viewing figures released for these games? Do you get many armchair supporters?

dcfcsteve
11/05/2007, 11:47 AM
Since the start of the 2005 season, the following teams have featured in the 62 live TV games shown on Setanta, RTE and TG4 (this includes next Monday's Derry v Shamrock Rovers game). This list of games does not include European or Setanta Cup games.

Athlone Town 2; Bohemians 10; Bray Wanderers 3; Cobh Ramblers 1; Cork City 21; Derry City 22; Drogheda United 12; Dublin City 1; Dundalk 1; Galway United 3; Longford Town 4; Shamrock Rovers 10; Shelbourne 15; Sligo Rovers 2; St. Patrick's Athletic 13; UCD 3; Waterford United 1.

Obviously, the above adds up to 124 (62 games x 2 teams in each game). Of the above, Waterford and Cobh's single appearance has been as the away side so all the other teams have featured as the home team at least once.

16 of the current 17 league teams have featured at least once (Dublin City also featured) with Finn Harps, Kildare County, Kilkenny City, Monaghan United, Limerick 37 and Wexford Youths the only sides currently in the LOI not to have featured on 'live' TV since 2005. Harps are the only side who have played Premier Division football who never featured live on TV while they were in the Premier.

I take it you're trying to point out here that Harps are beign treated harshly ?

I'd have no problems with Harps being on TV more - it was a hell of a shame, for example, that the Brandywell-leg of our relegation play-off with yees back in 2003 wasn't on the box, as that was sheer footballing drama of the highest order.

However - it's clear from the stats you provide that the number of televised games have broadly mirrored the on-field success of sides. And Harps, Kildare, Monaghan and Limerick have been low on success in recent years.

It's also important to remember, when looking at the above figures, that they include FAI, League and League Cup games (and European ?), as well as Setanta appearances. EL cups alone would've given City at least 3 additional televised games last season, and anyone in the Setanta will receive a boost in their number of televised games as well.

The biggest anomally in those figures, I would say, is why Drogheda have had so few TV appearances - despite being Setanta and FAI Cup finalists, and European entrants - and why Rovers have had so many - despite only winning the First Division. Interesting that Pats have managed more appearances than Drogs, with only an FAI final and one year of Setanta behind them.

Dodge
11/05/2007, 11:50 AM
Cork and Derry on the TV the most!

Ridden Rock Solid again!

harps1954
11/05/2007, 11:51 AM
These figures DO NOT include Setanta or European games which I highlighted in bold in my initial post. These are just live eircom League, eircom League Cup and FAI Cup games.

dcfcsteve
11/05/2007, 11:53 AM
These figures DO NOT include Setanta or European games which I highlighted in bold in my initial post. These are just live eircom League, eircom League Cup and FAI Cup games.

D'oh - sorry :o

So on the basis of domestic games alone, how have Pats and Rovers warranted more appearances than Drogs.....? :confused:

Dodge
11/05/2007, 11:59 AM
Because Drogs are awful to watch!!! ;)

Oh and I'd say our cup games helped.

dcfcsteve
11/05/2007, 12:02 PM
Oh and I'd say our cup games helped.

But only last year really. And surely not enough to overtake a team who have been in league contention every year since 2005 ?

paudie
11/05/2007, 12:07 PM
Is there viewing figures released for these games? Do you get many armchair supporters?

The viewing are available and have been given on this thread at times.

Some games have had quite big viewing figures, though I don't have figures to hand.

Dodge
11/05/2007, 12:08 PM
The public gets what the public wants steve :D

sligoman
11/05/2007, 12:42 PM
We've never had a league game showed. Only F.A.I. cup quarters Vs. Cork and Semi's Vs. Derry.

Jerry The Saint
11/05/2007, 2:06 PM
We've never had a league game showed. Only F.A.I. cup quarters Vs. Cork and Semi's Vs. Derry.

Sligo vs. Shels was one of the very first regular league games shown live I think. Pre-2005 though, so not in these figures.

How many of the Drogheda games were from United Park? Possibly a problem with facilites there.

Disgraceful to see Cork and Derry in more live games than anyone else. Typical Dublin conspiracy to reduce the attendance. :mad:

sligoman
11/05/2007, 2:16 PM
Finn Harps, Kildare County, Kilkenny City, Monaghan United, Limerick 37 and Wexford Youths the only sides currently in the LOI not to have featured on 'live' TV since 2005.You can't expect them to show a game in Finn Park or Kingspan Homes Park when both grounds are kips. Limerick 37 and Wexford Youths are only new teams, this is their first season in the league, they can wait their turn! Can't comment on Kildare or Kilkenny as never been to their ground.

Dodge
11/05/2007, 2:18 PM
In fairness he didn't say these grounds should be shown. He just gave the facts.

Pretty interesting stuff too

pete
11/05/2007, 5:39 PM
IMO Drogs haven't been shown much as it would appear Setanta in particular don't like United Park probably due to the fact space at a premium for tv.

Shamrock Rovers do seem to have been shown more than they due though.

OhNoYouDidn't
11/05/2007, 5:45 PM
Shamrock Rovers do seem to have been shown more than they due though.

How do you come to this conclusion? :confused:

pete
11/05/2007, 5:47 PM
How do you come to this conclusion? :confused:

Rovers 10 games & Drogs 10 games. Rovers spent a full season in the 1st division while Drogs have been competing in the cups & near top of the league.

fbtn
11/05/2007, 5:55 PM
You can't expect them to show a game in Finn Park or Kingspan Homes Park when both grounds are kips. Limerick 37 and Wexford Youths are only new teams, this is their first season in the league, they can wait their turn! Can't comment on Kildare or Kilkenny as never been to their ground.

Have you even got floodlights sorted yet?

The only consistent thing about this league is peoples blindness to their own clubs shortcomings but suddenly experts on other clubs affairs.

fbtn
11/05/2007, 5:58 PM
A league game was definitely shown between Harps and Sligo from the Showgrounds as it was our first ever (only?) live league game. Think it might have been '99. Apart from that, the only times I remember Harps being shown live was Cup Semis and Cup Finals which I would have been at.

I've never seen a live Harps game on the telly.

The playoffs between Harps and Derry should have definitely been shown. There have been a few big games between the clubs that could have been shown.

I think the playoffs every year should be a banker as nine times out of ten the games are crackers.

sligoman
11/05/2007, 6:09 PM
Have you even got floodlights sorted yet?

The only consistent thing about this league is peoples blindness to their own clubs shortcomings but suddenly experts on other clubs affairs.Yes we have. That's why we're playing evening games again. Plus, we have more bulbs than yer own floodlights!:p.

Don't be getting touchy just because I'm stating the obvious. Yer ground is a kip, but ye are moving so ye won't have to worry bout it much longer.

bohsmug
11/05/2007, 6:24 PM
Bohs - Rovers is the biggest derby in this country so that would be part of the reason for Rovers being on telly so often. Rovers definitely have the biggest "lapsed" fanbase in the country who, I presume, have a look when they're on telly.
Maybe a Rovers fan can fill me in but also as part of them ten there were:
- At least 2 Bohs/Rovers games (one celebrating their centenary, the other an FAI cup Q Final)
- FAI Cup semi Final
- Relegation Playoff :D
They are all games that SHOULD be on telly. I can't remember all the games they've had on but the only one I found bizzare was maybe the Athlone game last year.