PDA

View Full Version : Duff Out For 6 months

CollegeTillIDie
11/05/2007, 6:37 AM
Damien Duff broke a bone in his foot during Newcastle's most recent Premiership game and has had an operation on it. Surgeons stated that he will be out of action for at least 6 months , as it will be that long before he is able to train again. Therefore he is out of the Republic of Ireland's next three qualifiers including the away games in Czech Republic and Slovakia .
This is according to Sports reports on this morning's media.

RogerMilla
11/05/2007, 7:10 AM
you've got to be sh1ttign me !! gutting.. step up Mr. Hunt..

RogerMilla
11/05/2007, 7:13 AM
you sure about this college? nothing here (http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&ned=&ie=UTF-8&q=damien+duff&btnG=Search)
just says out for rest of season

CollegeTillIDie
11/05/2007, 7:14 AM
you've got to be sh1ttign me !! gutting.. step up Mr. Hunt..

Sadly I am not sh1tting you. Tune in the news bulletins on any of the following:-
RTE Radio1 ; Newstalk106 or their respective websites www.rte.ie; www.newstalk.ie and you will hear all about it. I saw it on TV3 a few minutes before posting.

CollegeTillIDie
11/05/2007, 7:16 AM
Sadly I am not sh1tting you. Tune in the news bulletins on any of the following:-
RTE Radio1 ; Newstalk106 or their respective websites www.rte.ie; www.newstalk.ie and you will hear all about it. I saw it on TV3 a few minutes before posting.

you sure about this college? nothing here (http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&ned=&ie=UTF-8&q=damien+duff&btnG=Search)
just says out for rest of season

Check the date, of that report. It was mid April- that was what they thought at the time. This was only announced this morning.

RogerMilla
11/05/2007, 7:29 AM
yup college a mate of mine just heard it on the radio, sorry for doubting you

shakermaker1982
11/05/2007, 7:54 AM
gutted for Duffer. He started to resemble the player he once was in our two previous games but the injury jinx of New Utd strikes again!

cavan_fan
11/05/2007, 8:00 AM
This is probably the death of the final glimmer of hope, Duff has created the majority of our goals in this campaign.

Bugger

Sligo Hornet
11/05/2007, 8:08 AM
I had a feeling today was going to be "one of those Sh*tty days"...................this confirms it!!!:eek:

Yet another example of how feckin useless the modern football boot ( carpet slipper? ) is!!:mad:

beautifulrock
11/05/2007, 8:17 AM
"say it aint so Joe" a disaster for us and Duffer. He is lurching from one crisis to another and will mean he will miss pre season training again.

Wolfie
11/05/2007, 8:20 AM
Feck anyway. The Slovak game was his best performance for Ireland for a good while.

Interesting to see who slots in on the left.

elroy
11/05/2007, 8:26 AM
Newcastle have confirmed Damien Duff has undergone surgery on his foot, but the club have refused to comment on how long the Irish winger will be sidelined for.

Duff's season came to a premature end when he damaged his foot against Portsmouth on 14th April.

The club were initially hopeful a period of rest would be sufficient, but Duff went under the knife last Friday.

One report has suggested Duff could be out of action for six months, but The Magpies have only confirmed the 'operation was a success' and that 'Duff is now recuperating back in Dublin.'

Duff has endured a mixed first season on Tyneside, as a spate of injuries have restricted his impact, and he will hope for a swift recovery in order to make an impression on the individual the club appoint as Glenn Roeder's successor.

citizenerased
11/05/2007, 8:58 AM
fuccccckk....kick in the face

Stuttgart88
11/05/2007, 9:12 AM
Have no fear, we have Alan O'Brien

galwayhoop
11/05/2007, 9:42 AM
The NIGHTMARE continues for Mr. Duff...............

Newcastle United FC - the injury capital of modern professional sports!!

Closed Account 2
11/05/2007, 9:54 AM
play Harte as left mid now ?

zinedineontour
11/05/2007, 10:27 AM
play Harte as left mid now ?

yeah throw in another player out of position .. Why not just play Hunt left mid and as the performances of duffer have been suspect bar one good half against slovakia it might not be as bad news as we think.

Jerry The Saint
11/05/2007, 10:33 AM
Newcastle United FC - the injury capital of modern professional sports!!

That club is cursed. Stay well clear Big Sam - you can't say you weren't warned!

NeilMcD
11/05/2007, 10:45 AM
Bit of a disaster for Duff but I suspect it won't be quite as long as we think. But sure we will see. I think Hunt is a good and able deputy for duffer but I agree that Duff has been on form for Ireland of late. I thought he was excellent against the Czechs and against the Slovaks. He also was the best against San Marino.

Dodge
11/05/2007, 11:13 AM
Has Duff ever had an injury free season? The lad is poxed...

geysir
11/05/2007, 11:17 AM
I don't think it's a disaster at the moment. The report is that he sustained the injury mid April, waited a bit to see how it went, now undergone surgery. Successfull operation.
The 6 months recovery period is just wild reporting. Where did that one come from? Some idiot put it into print and the rest of the media assume that it was fact.

Stuttgart88
11/05/2007, 11:19 AM
6 months? Rooney & others were more like 6 weeks, no?

eirebhoy
11/05/2007, 11:28 AM
Total media speculation atm.

Theskinloyal
11/05/2007, 11:58 AM
Wheres Andy Reid?

Colbert Report
11/05/2007, 12:32 PM
Hopefully both Reids will make it back into our lineup for our next competitive match.

Duff is our best player and this is a huge loss but we must admit that we have a tonne of able left wingers at our disposal. Kevin Kilbane, Stephen Hunt, Alan O'Brien, and Aiden McGeady all play there for their respective clubs.

At this point I'm worried about Duff's career more than anything. He's been oft injured all season and it seems that nothing is going right for the lad, pace is a big part of his game and I hate to say it because he's the most exciting Ireland player I've ever seen, but at age 28 I think that it may be curtains for his career.

Paddy Garcia
11/05/2007, 12:36 PM
Duff is our best player and this is a huge loss but we must admit that we have a tonne of able left wingers at our disposal. Kevin Kilbane, Stephen Hunt, Alan O'Brien, and Aiden McGeady all play there for their respective clubs.

O'Brien is not playing there, or indeed anywhere else, for his club.

Armando
11/05/2007, 12:44 PM
Hopefully both Reids will make it back into our lineup for our next competitive match.

At this point I'm worried about Duff's career more than anything. He's been oft injured all season and it seems that nothing is going right for the lad, pace is a big part of his game and I hate to say it because he's the most exciting Ireland player I've ever seen, but at age 28 I think that it may be curtains for his career.

Are you joking:confused:

He broke a bone in his foot - not exactly a career ending injury. He'll make a 100% recovery and I'd imagine will be back for the start of next season....and if you're talking about his mental state because of an injury hit campaign I have to disagree with you there too.
I fully expect him to be back for the double header against Slovaks / Czechs and raring to go.

RogerMilla
11/05/2007, 12:45 PM
i am a big mcgeady fan but i think hunt will be the man to make the step up , kilbane is no winger , i'm not really sure what he is !!

as_i_say
11/05/2007, 12:50 PM
andy reid is no winger either. would be confident of hunt doing the job for us-whats the chances of him getting picked by the ginger tho?:rolleyes:

Wolfie
11/05/2007, 12:56 PM
If it's finally confirmed that Duff is indeed out for the qualifiers - paper never refused ink, etc etc - Hunt's willingness to have a go at the opposition could be useful.

The back four are going to be under seige as the Czech's will have a right go at us. An outlet to relieve the pressure could be crucial.

lionelhutz
11/05/2007, 1:42 PM
what a disaster, duff is by far our best attacking, creative player. Lets just hope to god stan doesnt put kilbane out on the left instead of hunt, but unfortunately going by stans selections so far this will be case. And hunt will be used as an "impact player". What a crock

youngirish
11/05/2007, 1:47 PM

Stephen Quinn on form is better than most, if not all of the above. Without Duff we are bunched away to the Czechs and the Slovaks. Newcastle have a terrible injury record with their players. Jinxed.

Stuttgart88
11/05/2007, 1:53 PM
Hunt has been superb in his 3 brief apperances recently. He has little elegance but scraps hard and delivers a superb cross from open play and dead balls. Whether he's better as a starter or an impact player against tiring legs is a big question.

There's definitely and added purpose to the US games now.

tricky_colour
11/05/2007, 3:05 PM
A report here.
http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2007/0511/1178742819127.html
"Newcastle are hopeful Duff will make a quicker than anticipated return"

Next qualifier is in 3 months.

jbyrne
11/05/2007, 3:57 PM
A report here.
http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2007/0511/1178742819127.html
"Newcastle are hopeful Duff will make a quicker than anticipated return"

Next qualifier is in 3 months.

4 months really. would be shocked if he not back for sept with such an injury

Lionel Ritchie
11/05/2007, 6:54 PM
Has Duff ever had an injury free season? The lad is poxed...

Damien Duff hasn't passed a medical since leaving Blackburn. Their doctor was obliged to tell Chelsea he was unlikely to ever play more that 30 games a season -owing to the shoulder injury.

He's just a little unlucky with this one. I'll be amazed if he's not back from a broken foot well inside 3 months.

DmanDmythDledge
11/05/2007, 11:18 PM
That club is cursed. Stay well clear Big Sam - you can't say you weren't warned!
I remember reading something before about the state of Newcastle's training pitch and that it was the cause for a lot of injuries.

eirebhoy
22/05/2007, 9:29 PM
Stan rules him out for the rest of the campaign.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6682317.stm

geysir
23/05/2007, 10:24 AM
Is it a sign of desperation that the only source for the confirmation is Stan?
Could Stan have passed medical exams on the sly?
Is Stan in the know with information from the horses mouth?
or is Stan just taking on board the 6 months scenario?

Stuttgart88
23/05/2007, 2:17 PM
Their doctor was obliged to tell Chelsea he was unlikely to ever play more that 30 games a season -owing to the shoulder injury.
The shoulder injury he picked up playing for Chelsea against Fulham? :)

Hamstring maybe, but Chelsea worked out a special exercise & stretching programme that massively reduced Duff's hamstring injuries.

geysir
23/05/2007, 3:12 PM
Help is at hand for Damien.
The new Newcastle manager reveals after investigation that he has identified the injury list as the cause of players going missing from first team duty.

'When Allardyce took over as Newcastle boss last week he said he would introduce the sort of scientific approach at the club that he adopted at Bolton - and hoped it would help solve the Magpies persistent injury problems.'
Allardyce said: "There have been too many injuries. They seem to be forever talking about the everlasting injury list. One of the first things I will have to look at are why those injuries have happened.
"Far too many players have had too many injuries too often."

Stuttgart88
23/05/2007, 3:48 PM
Joey O'Brien may beg to differ

cavan_fan
23/05/2007, 4:00 PM
Firstly, on Stan and this issue he is being quite sensible to plan without Duff as it looks probable he wont be available, he tends not to come back early from injuries.

On Newcastle's injury problems the real issue is not the long term injuries but the number of 1 or 2 month problems they have. Things like Owen's injury and O'Briens at Bolton just happen but it appears all Newcastle players have 2/3 injuries a season, even Shay is succumbing. This is something I think Allardyce will improve (unless it's due to the sh*t weather of course)

KopKiller
23/05/2007, 4:07 PM
Stephen Quinn on form is better than most, if not all of the above. Without Duff we are bunched away to the Czechs and the Slovaks. Newcastle have a terrible injury record with their players. Jinxed.

Couldnt agree more. Duff was our best player in the games at croker, it would be a disaster if he doesnt play. Doesnt really matter who plays instead, we will be severely weakened without him.

Only good thing is its months away, perhaps he might make a recovery.

eirebhoy
23/05/2007, 4:17 PM
Couldnt agree more. Duff was our best player in the games at croker
And he also played well against the Czechs, setting up the goal aswell as Robbie Keane's late sitter with a right footed cross. Set up the 2 goals in Cyprus aswell I think. We'll miss him badly.

NeilMcD
28/05/2007, 10:48 AM
Damien was at the Frames gig last night with plaster and big white sock on. The whole room gave him good vibes in order to get that foot of his ready for the games in the Autumn.

elroy
29/05/2007, 9:31 AM
Ya saw him in town yesterday, complete with cast and crutches.