PDA

View Full Version : sentanta cup next year

MojoPin
10/05/2007, 5:02 PM
this piece is taken from the cobh ramblers website....

The winner of this season’s eircom League of Ireland Cup will qualify for a play-off game against the winners of the First Division for a place in the 2008 Setanta Sports Cup. If the winner of the competition has already qualified for the Setanta Sports Cup, the play-off will involve the winner of the First Division and the next available club in the Premier Division.

great idea i think. tv money for first div team! whens it played? end or start of season.?

will the mods change the title please before i get murdered ha

DmanDmythDledge
10/05/2007, 5:07 PM
great idea i think. tv money for first div team! whens it played? end or start of season.?
The draw for this year's Setanta was last December so must be at the end of the season.

Ceirtlis
10/05/2007, 5:11 PM
I think its a stupid idea myself. The first division teams are in the league cup and the fai cup themselves so if they are going to qualify it should be through that. They have enough of a prize as it is for being first division champions.

Jerry The Saint
10/05/2007, 5:30 PM
If the winner of the competition has already qualified for the Setanta Sports Cup, the play-off will involve the winner of the First Division and the next available club in the Premier Division.

So if a First Division team wins both, do they play off against the next available club in the Premier? Or the runners-up in the First? Or do they just let Pats back in if we haven't qualified already? :)

I think they've messed up a little by not allowing the winners back in automatically (OK, normally this won't be a problem but it might happen -Liverpool in the Champions League springs to mind).

dcfcsteve
10/05/2007, 5:32 PM
This is old news, and was an FAI sop to bribe First Division clubs into backing their merger proposals for the league.

I suspect the involvement of the First Divison champions will be quietly dropped after one year of it. Although given the imbalance between EL and IL sides, it might not be a bad idea to keep them in from that point of view.

DmanDmythDledge
10/05/2007, 10:08 PM
I suspect the involvement of the First Divison champions will be quietly dropped after one year of it. Although given the imbalance between EL and IL sides, it might not be a bad idea to keep them in from that point of view.
Providing they actually manage to get in in the first place, which seems unlikely given that Dundalk lost to Waterford last season in the 'playoff'.

BobtheDrog
10/05/2007, 10:20 PM
maybe they think a first division side will be more competitive against the northern sides:p

pineapple stu
10/05/2007, 10:31 PM
which seems unlikely given that Dundalk lost to Waterford last season in the 'playoff'.
Only in the FAI's make-believe world.

On the pitch, I tihnk you'll find it was the other way around.

DmanDmythDledge
10/05/2007, 10:40 PM
On the pitch, I tihnk you'll find it was the other way around.
Oh yeah....:(

The Lilywhites
11/05/2007, 12:42 AM
Trevor Vaughan hat-trick :eek: :D

crc
11/05/2007, 12:54 AM
...given that Dundalk lost to Waterford last season in the 'playoff'.

...On the pitch, I tihnk you'll find it was the other way around

Oh yeah.... :(

:D :D

Jerry The Saint
11/05/2007, 9:46 AM
Oh yeah....:(

That's what they wanted you to think! :D

In years to come, no-one but Maxi will remember what happened and GUFC will release a DVD commemorating their glorious march to promotion in 2006.

The Lilywhites
11/05/2007, 10:21 AM
In years to come, no-one but Maxi will remember what happened and GUFC will release a DVD commemorating their glorious march to promotion in 2006.

With 'Right Here, Right Now' in the background?

fbtn
11/05/2007, 10:28 AM
I think its a stupid idea myself. The first division teams are in the league cup and the fai cup themselves so if they are going to qualify it should be through that. They have enough of a prize as it is for being first division champions.

You're having a Steffi Graf surely?

You are in the Premier FFS and you didn't win the First Division, nor the playoffs for that matter.

Galway being promoted because they had a nice DVD and a Nick Leeson propaganda blitz - that is where the stupidity lies.

If a First Divison team is good enough to go through, then so be it. Remember, they will be in the Premier by the time the next Setanta Cup starts anyway.

Think it is a good incentive for FD clubs and Steve is spot on. It was thrown in by Delaney as a carrot for the First Division clubs to accept the new proposals and will be quickly dropped again for next season.

Theskinloyal
11/05/2007, 12:01 PM
Would make for an interesting game Dundalk v UCD or something like that. Always a good move to create more big games imho

Ceirtlis
11/05/2007, 12:07 PM
You're having a Steffi Graf surely?

You are in the Premier FFS and you didn't win the First Division, nor the playoffs for that matter.

Galway being promoted because they had a nice DVD and a Nick Leeson propaganda blitz - that is where the stupidity lies.

If a First Divison team is good enough to go through, then so be it. Remember, they will be in the Premier by the time the next Setanta Cup starts anyway.

Think it is a good incentive for FD clubs and Steve is spot on. It was thrown in by Delaney as a carrot for the First Division clubs to accept the new proposals and will be quickly dropped again for next season.

Who i support has nothing to do with it I just think it is a stupid idea. I wasnt aware that it was just used as a sweetener for first division clubs. Whats the point in having a potential place in the competition for the team who effectively finishes 13th in the league?

Dodge
11/05/2007, 12:10 PM
Same point as having a place in the premier divsion for a team that effectively finished 15th in the league I'd say

fbtn
11/05/2007, 12:17 PM
Same point as having a place in the premier divsion for a team that effectively finished 15th in the league I'd say

Quality!! :D

Ceirtlis
11/05/2007, 12:22 PM
Quality!! :D

Indeed, quality :rolleyes:

TonyD
11/05/2007, 12:30 PM
Or do they just let Pats back in if we haven't qualified already? :)

Yep, that sounds fair;)

Jerry The Saint
11/05/2007, 2:12 PM
Yep, that sounds fair;)

In fact, I think we should have TWO teams. One in each group, just in case.