PDA

View Full Version : City 2 - Bohs 1

Troy.McClure
08/02/2003, 2:34 PM
From the FAI (http://www.fai.ie/NR/exeres/5401C5CE-0A7C-4C15-A213-A10B6F1C0A5A.htm)

Cork City won the eircom U21 League and the Dr. Tony O'Neill perpetual trophy with a glorious goal seconds from the final whistle at Turner's Cross last night.

A captivating final looked set for extra time when Cork's powerful centre-forward, Jamie Nolan produced a stunning volley from 16 yards to give Cork their first win in the competition.

It was a marvellous goal to decide a cracking contest and due reward for the hard-working Nolan who was named "Man of the Match" by former Ireland team manager Eoin Hand and the current manager of the U21 team, Don Givens.

Bohs had jumped in front after 13 minutes when James Bell flicked a header from David Morrison's left-wing free across goalkeeper Mark McNulty and into the far corner.

Cork soon settled and they played some entertaining football as they drew level after 31 minutes. A lovely passing move between Cillian Lordan and Nolan was finished in style by Denis Behan with a shot from just inside the penalty area.

Cork had the better of the second half and Bohs were lucky to survive a penalty appeal after Nolan appeared to have been tripped by Alan Byrne in the 59th minute. But Cork needed a great save from goalkeeper Mark McNulty to deny Jonathan O'Brien a goal in the 82nd minute.

Cork's persistence paid off in style when Nolan ran clear of the defence seconds before the final whistle to ensure the trophy went to Cork with a goal fit to grave any occasion.

Teams:
Cork City: McNulty; Aherne, Andrews, Murray, Roddis; Mulconry, Browne, Lordan, Lougheed; Nolan, Behan.

Bohemians: Duggan; Gannon, Hanley, McGuinness, Tyrell (Barron 63); Morrison, O'Brien, Byrne, Bell; Doyle, Cooney.

Referee: D Deady (Midleton).

How many turned up? It sounded like a great game (+ it was nice to see a Cork ref for a City V Pale team for a change).

Champion¨¦s champion¨¦s o a oa oa! :D

niamh
08/02/2003, 3:03 PM
1,500 - 2,000. Bit hard to tell really.

SÓC
08/02/2003, 3:04 PM
Decent enough crowd, Im useless at guessing but here goes anyway, about 1000?

The front 2 for City looked very good, Nolan ran after everything and went deep and on to the wings to pick up the ball when needed. Behan was great, he seemed to win evey 50-50 ball in the air, think of the opposite of Hartigan.

McNulty made an amazing save to keep City in it at 1-1, and Nolans volley was pure class.

patsh
08/02/2003, 3:06 PM
According to the report on RTE radio last night, there "was well over 3,000" at the game.

Real ale Madrid
09/02/2003, 1:21 AM
there was 1,000 there approx. and that is a bit optimistic IMO
Pity because it was a fantastic game in the second half and the two goals were as good as anything as was seen at the venue for a long time

NorthoftheLee
10/02/2003, 8:32 AM
There were around 1000 heads there. First half wasn't great, Bohs did dominate early on but City came backinto the game well and deserved their equaliser. They pretty much dominated the second half besides a 5 min spell. The last min winner was nice, great goal and all the sweeter due to the penalty and goal being disallowed.
Michael Mulconroy would have been my MOTM. I thought he had a great game.
McNulty on the other hand was very poor. I have heard a lot of good reports on him so maybe it was down to nerves. His kicking was poor, he was at fault for the goal IMO and he nearly gave another goal away in the second half. he did pull off a great save near the end though so I'll forgive him.

Snatch
10/02/2003, 9:27 AM
I heard on radio 1 that it was a packed Turners Cross!

Glad to see that the future looks bright though