PDA

View Full Version : Rankings are crap

niamh
18/07/2001, 9:47 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2001/0718/soccer/ireland.html

How can the Republic drop a place in the World Rankings and not play a match. And how are Brazil still second?

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 9:14 AM
...without playing a game if other countries DO play and win. Just like having a game in hand in a league table. Brazil are second because France are reigning World and European champs and winning all over the place while Brazil have been struggling in the South American qualifier.
Gerry

Xlex
19/07/2001, 9:21 AM
perhaps Niamh expected Brazil to be placed in third, given their poor form in the south american qualifiers

joe
19/07/2001, 9:21 AM
i think she means how come Brazil haven't fallen further down the rankings????

Gerry Desmond
19/07/2001, 9:55 AM
...they were so far ahead! Well, ahead of third and fourth at least...
Gerry

Brine
19/07/2001, 10:12 PM
Can somebody please tell me how it is that Germany leapfrogged Portugal like that? It's rigged! :confused:

Gerry Desmond
20/07/2001, 9:21 AM
This you must understand, Brine, something I learned from years of watching MOTD as a wee lad: " You can never trust those continentals/ the Germans are notorious divers - oh, my word, just look at Klinsmann AGAIN!"...:D
Gerry

Gerry Desmond
28/07/2001, 3:09 PM
...Brazil's plight continues after a poor Copa America. They now have a couple of tough away World Cup qualifiers, a disenchanted squad, an outraged media, a savage public and a manager facing an uphill battle to undo the damage of Wanderley Luxembourgo...
So, it's no surprise they're no longer top dogs, Niamh...
Gerry

The Legend
30/07/2001, 11:37 PM
If Brazil dont drop to at least 10th in the next rankings, it really is a joke!

I'm sure they'll get it together soon. They haven't been playing all their main stars recently

pete
10/08/2001, 3:04 PM
Heres how Brazil maintain their high world ranking!

Brazil 5-0 Panama (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/english/football/newsid_1483000/1483356.stm)

Apparently it was their 15th game of the year & only their 5th win! :rolleyes:

Gerry Desmond
10/08/2001, 3:16 PM
...that more or less shags up Panama's chances of climbing up the rankings then!

Gerry:D

pete
10/08/2001, 3:59 PM
In fairness was a complete joke Brazil even be suggested as a place to hold a WC in the near future! Their grounds are crumbling & got to be one of the most corrupt leagues inn the world.

Ingenious Brazilian ideas have been to abolish relegation when a big club finishes a the bottom of the league & promote the teams from the 2nd division so get ahuge league. Maybe 27/28 @ last count?

Even the brazil football assocation sell home internationals to cities around the country :rolleyes: I remember seeing them play Wales on BBC a few years ago in some city in the jungle & the grass would have done Lansdowne proud around the late 80's :D