PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane not taking calls from Ireland manager

ruben_sosa
09/05/2007, 9:59 PM
No problem with Keane – Staunton

May 9, 2007

Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton insists there is no row with Roy Keane, despite the fact that the Sunderland manager has effectively refused to take his calls in recent weeks.

Staunton has named his squad for the friendlies against Ecuador and Bolivia later this month, with Black Cats players Liam Miller, Anthony Stokes, Stephen Elliott and Daryl Murphy set to make the trip to the United States.

But the Irish boss admits he has been unable to discuss the call-ups with Keane – as the Sunderland chief has preferred to communicate via text message.

He said: “I tried to ring him a few times but he texts back so you have to work off that. I have spoken to other people connected with the club, we’ve got good information on the players and I haven’t a problem with it. I’ve had a chat with Roy before about them anyway, so it’s not a problem.

“I try to get all the information I can, not just from the manager but from opposition managers as well, and I use my own judgment as well as the staff I have around me.”

Kivlehan
09/05/2007, 11:11 PM
Keane's on vacation with his family right now according to what he was planning to do after the last game in recent articles about Sunderland's transfer targets. If he'd rather text Stan than chat on the phone, what's the big deal?

dr_peepee
09/05/2007, 11:32 PM
Just sensationalist rubbish... Wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

andrew1977
10/05/2007, 11:57 AM
Here comes the end of season lull for the newspapers. Will try to whip up a controversy at any opportunity.
Just like the transfer news in the paper between now and start of next season
Every team linked on every player under the sun

paul_oshea
10/05/2007, 2:30 PM
it fairness lads its good to talk :)

Mod Edit:
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=431912&postcount=10

SuperDave
10/05/2007, 2:49 PM
Here comes the end of season lull for the newspapers. Will try to whip up a controversy at any opportunity.
Just like the transfer news in the paper between now and start of next season
Every team linked on every player under the sun

I think you mean in the sun.
Yours, P. Dant.

elroy
10/05/2007, 3:34 PM
it fairness lads its good to talk :)

Couldnt agree less, the guy does alot more than other irish internationals thats for sure.

paul_oshea
10/05/2007, 4:09 PM
ya we all know how much alright......

BobbySands
11/05/2007, 1:14 AM
Not sure this is all media nonsense. I assume Keane and Stan hate each other but I'd think Keane would be big enough to answer the phone. Lets face it. Keane and Quinn hate each other (at least they should do) but Keane was willing to pretend to bury the hatchet (in Quinnys head ?????) when it came to a paying gig.

tetsujin1979
11/05/2007, 1:42 AM
Not sure this is all media nonsense. I assume Keane and Stan hate each other but I'd think Keane would be big enough to answer the phone. Lets face it. Keane and Quinn hate each other (at least they should do) but Keane was willing to pretend to bury the hatchet (in Quinnys head ?????) when it came to a paying gig.
Something tells me Keane took the Sunderland job for something more than the money. He's not stuck for a few bob.

drinkfeckarse
11/05/2007, 7:14 AM
Roy has trouble understanding Stan so feels it's best to text. Stan baffles a lot of us really.

beautifulrock
11/05/2007, 8:22 AM
maybe texts are cheaper although to be fair you can get some decent packages these days :)

ruben_sosa
11/05/2007, 11:24 AM
Roy has trouble understanding Stan so feels it's best to text. Stan baffles a lot of us really.

he did it because it was coming up to the last couple of games of the season and he doesn't want to bother himself thinking about Irish games, only Sunderland games. Expect things to get much worse next year when he's in the premiership, he won't be releasing Irish players for friendlies, or they will pick up timely injuries.

Jerry The Saint
11/05/2007, 11:34 AM
Something tells me Keane took the Sunderland job for something more than the money.

Keep him out of the house:confused:

The roar of the crowd:confused:

The smell of Deep Heat on young men's hamstrings:confused:

OwlsFan
11/05/2007, 12:09 PM
Let's be honest, if you had to deal with Stan, would you prefer conversations or text messages ? I'll give you a hint of the correct answer: "All credit to text messages..."

RogerMilla
11/05/2007, 1:00 PM
i just have this image of him seeing stans name come up on the phone and going "jaysis , not that muppet!"

this says much about roys attitude though

drinkfeckarse
11/05/2007, 1:23 PM
...or your imagination.

lionelhutz
11/05/2007, 1:31 PM
Who really gives 2 sh**s if Stan and Roy communicate through telephone, text message or morse code as long as the players are released for Ireland duty??

tetsujin1979
11/05/2007, 2:38 PM
Keep him out of the house:confused:

The roar of the crowd:confused:

The smell of Deep Heat on young men's hamstrings:confused:

my point was that the money was irrelevant to keane when he took the job

Jerry The Saint
11/05/2007, 2:47 PM
my point was that the money was irrelevant to keane when he took the job

Hardly irrelvant I'd say. Wasn't there some statistic that he was the highest paid club manager in the world outside a top division?

citizenerased
11/05/2007, 2:53 PM
you know what marl twain said about statistics dont you?! , 'There are Lies, then there are damn lies, and there are statistics'

tetsujin1979
11/05/2007, 2:55 PM
Hardly irrelvant I'd say. Wasn't there some statistic that he was the highest paid club manager in the world outside a top division?
Fine, then the money wasn't the primary motivation, he had been offered the job beforehand, but turned it down.
I really don't think he "buried the hatchet" with Quinn because of a "paying gig", and refuse to speak to Stan is not on.

Jerry The Saint
11/05/2007, 4:42 PM
Roy and Stan texting each other . . . . I'd pay good money to read those texts!!!

- im d b0s$, im d gfr. ill bmb00zl u keno

- @ d nd of d day lik, u r sum mpt stn

danonion
11/05/2007, 5:19 PM

POTY??

osarusan
13/05/2007, 2:39 PM

hahahahahaha..........actually laughing out loud!!!:D :D :D

Noelys Guitar
13/05/2007, 3:04 PM
Keane had contacted BT to block all calls from people called Gaffer, Stan, Muppet, Clueless.