PDA

View Full Version : Eight mobiles found in Portlaoise jail

Ringo
09/05/2007, 7:14 AM
Eight mobiles found in Portlaoise jail
Wednesday, 9 May 2007 08:09
Mobile phones, smuggled drugs and home made alcohol have been found in a search of the maximum-security Portlaoise Prison.

The Irish Prison Service has confirmed that the jail of some of the country's most notorious criminals was scoured yesterday.

Eight mobile phones, three sim cards, various drugs, including ecstasy tablets, syringes and home made alcohol were all part of the haul.

A pet budgie was also uncovered.:eek:

The focus of the hunt was the area where some of Ireland's biggest criminals are housed.

Members of Dublin and Limerick gangs were locked in their cells while the search was undertaken.

All available prison officers were on duty for the search ordered by new governor Ned Whelan.

It comes a week after the outcry provoked by armed robber John Daly calling into RTE's Liveline programme on a mobile phone from his cell in Portlaoise.

Daly has since been transferred to Cork Prison.

printable version
send to a friend

Story from RTÉ News:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0509/portlaoise.html?rss

The guards never noticed the budgie before:rolleyes:

pete
09/05/2007, 10:20 AM
I would guess the prison officers had turned a blind eye to phones & such in exchange for less hassle from the prisoners.

I see no problem with criminal having a per budgie as long as its not a carrier budgie :p

Jerry The Saint
09/05/2007, 10:29 AM
I see no problem with criminal having a per budgie as long as its not a carrier budgie :p

I do not want to think about how the poor budgie was smuggled into the prison. :eek:

kingdom hoop
09/05/2007, 10:41 AM
A pet budgie was also uncovered.:eek:

Birdman of Alcatraz anyone? COuld be a film in this yet!

anto1208
09/05/2007, 10:58 AM
Why dont they just have a look up the prisoners arses thats where it is , I was talking to one guy who was telling me a story about being in court his mate was getting sent down so he had a mobile 100 ecstasy tablets 2 ounces of hash and a few grams of coke up there . He left the mobile on and they kept ringing him during the court hearing ( it was on vibrate ) :D

These guys dont mind going to jail more often than not they have more mates inside than outside and can sit in there watching TV taking drugs playing pool , while having 3 meals cooked for you your cleaning and laundry done for you !!! .

Dodge
09/05/2007, 11:03 AM
Generalise much? :rolleyes:

A friend of mine is a prison guard. Said they don't mind the drugs/drink aspect of it as it causes more hassle if they're stopped.

The mobiles are abit much mind...

Raheny Red
09/05/2007, 11:04 AM
Maybe the budgie was dead and the owner was blind - Dumb and Dumber :D :o

Ash
09/05/2007, 12:52 PM
The guards never noticed the budgie before :rolleyes:

Sure the place is full of jailbirds :eek:

(already got my coat and I'm on the way out of the building :D )

strangeirish
09/05/2007, 3:16 PM
Why dont they just have a look up the prisoners arses thats where it is , I was talking to one guy who was telling me a story about being in court his mate was getting sent down so he had a mobile 100 ecstasy tablets 2 ounces of hash and a few grams of coke up there . He left the mobile on and they kept ringing him during the court hearing ( it was on vibrate ) :D

The same fella had some toilet paper hanging from his pants and the judge asked him "What is that?" "Oh" sez yer man, "I'm just receiving a fax"
:D
Taxi

Dodge
09/05/2007, 3:25 PM
Sure the place is full of jailbirds :eek:

(already got my coat and I'm on the way out of the building :D )
Made me laugh anyway Ash... :D

TonyD
09/05/2007, 8:18 PM
Completely cynical exercise by the authorities. A bit of political flak over the phone call to Joe Duffy (does anyone else think that RTE shouldn't have put a convict on air to issue threats btw?) and they suddenly come up with all this stuff. Clearly they know what's going on and can move to stop it anytime they want. Why are they not doing regular searches ?