PDA

View Full Version : Barry Cogan released by Barnet

red bellied
08/05/2007, 6:49 PM
Barry Cogan ex Millwall and just released by Barnet. He is from the Sligo area, came on as sub in the fa cup final against United a couple of seasons ago. Would he be a good addition to the squad?

GavinZac
08/05/2007, 6:55 PM
Sm0HwtXD9BM

neutrino
08/05/2007, 8:20 PM
he would be a serious addition but i very much doubt rovers could/would get him. it would be great to see him in the bit o'red tho. i'd say he'll sign somewhere else in the uk.

sligoman
09/05/2007, 10:10 AM
He is a good player. Definitely worth having a look, although at the same time, why did Barnet release him?:confused:

neutrino
09/05/2007, 12:40 PM
He is a good player. Definitely worth having a look, although at the same time, why did Barnet release him?:confused:

finances are very fickle in the lower english leagues. being a first team regular doesnt mean you wont get released at the end of a season. like anywhere it's all about freeing up cash for a budget for next season.

MervilleUnited
09/05/2007, 2:30 PM
Barry Cogan ex Millwall and just released by Barnet. He is from the Sligo area, came on as sub in the fa cup final against United a couple of seasons ago. Would he be a good addition to the squad?

Surley the EL Premier is a higher standard than Barnet?:eek:

GavinZac
09/05/2007, 2:41 PM

Joey Gamble came from there and described it as a step up, anyway

SligoBrewer
09/05/2007, 2:56 PM

league 2..

but then again, our current manager was sacked from job at a level below that!:o

GavinZac
09/05/2007, 3:10 PM
Yap but no player is going to say that there taking a step down

my point is, if he's anything like joe gamble you probably wont complain

Only1Rovers
09/05/2007, 8:18 PM
freeing up cash for a budget for next season.

Cash! Our situation with strikers is diabolical and your talking about selling Cash!!!!!:D

neutrino
10/05/2007, 12:48 PM
Cash! Our situation with strikers is diabolical and your talking about selling Cash!!!!!:D

selling Cash to make Cash :D

you would think they have been able to find a striker somewhere, if indeed they have been looking. Surely they could at least take a punt on a Junior league player to get someone in now. Must be 1 or 2 good junior players in Ireland.

Only1Rovers
10/05/2007, 9:40 PM
you would think they have been able to find a striker somewhere, if indeed they have been looking. Surely they could at least take a punt on a Junior league player to get someone in now. Must be 1 or 2 good junior players in Ireland.

My aul fella plays football sunday morning, he's twice the player Choice is, Me granny would be better...

Midgit
10/05/2007, 10:57 PM
selling Cash to make Cash :D

What ever happened to that Keogh lad for Killester?

avvenalaf
11/05/2007, 1:03 PM
Nice try Only1Rovers but we know your game. You want your Daddy and Granny away in Bray or Drogheda so you can have a party in the house.

Shedzer
11/05/2007, 3:41 PM
Killester manager told us at the abbey united game that keogh had trials at Doncaster

Sean South
11/05/2007, 6:25 PM
A friend of mine is knows Cogan well and he said he never wants to play for Rovers he's on to much money in England. Think he's going to Gillingham next season

gustavo
11/05/2007, 7:11 PM
I doubt Barnet pay any more than what the top guys get paid at Rovers anyway

Plastic Paddy
11/05/2007, 7:11 PM
Shows what little you know about lower-league English football RT. Barnet are mid-table League 2 and haven't been in the Conference since 2005. Plenty of players move between the lower divisions - the best recent example is one Michael Kightly, who left Grays in January for Wolves and has been one of their undoubted star players in their rise up the CCC.

In any case nearly half the teams in the Conference are ex-Football League, including Oxford United, whose average home gate at 7,000 is bigger than anything in the eL.

The earlier poster had it right. Cogan may not have been on much at Barnet - probably about £800 per week - but this would dwarf anything the likes of Sligo could match unless, of course, a very generous external sponsor came forward...

:ball: PP

Plastic Paddy
11/05/2007, 9:15 PM
Sorry for 1 year i followed Swasea and spent 3 following Cardiff so i seen my fare share of the lower leagues in the england. I appoligise for losing touch of Barnet in the last two years how could i

Swansea and Cardiff? Hares and hounds together spring to mind. :rolleyes:

Shows you what you know about Irish football plastic when clubs are paying that money. It is only 1175 at today rate and i know of one player that was on that until he went to another club last year with us. We actually made an offer to a player this year that was meant to be around 1300 a week.

"I know of one player". "We made an offer". "Clubs are paying that money". Sources? Until you name names, that's no more than hearsay. And, as you will know from your extensive knowledge of the English game, Cogan was earning the kind of money you suggest as a squad player. You do the maths - if you can - and you'll see that suggests a wage bill of at least £500k. A figure I very much doubt Sligo will come anywhere near unless, as I mentioned earlier, your club has a very generous benefactor (Barnet does, as it happens, in common with a lot of smaller English league clubs). I really don't think you have any grounds for argument there.

No offense but you should think about removing the crest mate until you know something about Irish football other than ole ole and Keano used to play for us ;)

Oh my sides! You'll need to do better than that, I'm afraid. Searing wit just doesn't seem to be your forte.

SeaniesRedArmy
11/05/2007, 10:28 PM
clear off to you own forum paddy

gustavo
11/05/2007, 10:43 PM
clear off to you own forum paddy
PP knows a thing or two about Barnet so his input is welcome as does RT about Rovers so they are doing no harm debating it out

gustavo
11/05/2007, 11:28 PM
How can you have a debate with Stupidity ? Somebody who gives his point "as i would say" basically guesses and then thinks it is fact :D . All i am simply doing is giving plastic an opportunity or a platform to make a bigger fool than he already must feel. He supports a country and knows nothing about football in the country but yet wants to lecture me on it. :D
You are the one doing the name calling , all he was doing was giving his opinion on a matter , you may have disagreed with it but theres no need to question his Irishness

neutrino
12/05/2007, 12:37 AM
I doubt Barnet pay any more than what the top guys get paid at Rovers anyway

no english clubs can afford way more than rovers. sure keith gilroy makes more in the conference that he would with rovers. anyway the way things are going we'll not be affording much anyway in the future.

Darco Ooragnak
12/05/2007, 10:35 AM
Swansea and Cardiff? Hares and hounds together spring to mind. :rolleyes:

...that's no more than hearsay (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38188000/jpg/_38188893_hearsay150.jpg).........don`t bring them into it ( Irish band of the nineties PP )

.....You do the maths - if you can - and you'll see that suggests a wage bill of at least £500k.....

Oh my sides! You'll need to do better than that, I'm afraid. Searing wit just doesn't seem to be your forte.

..and is PP entitled to these "opinions", or is it the case that some people can voice "opinions" and others can`t.

Plastic Paddy
12/05/2007, 11:06 AM
What wrong with Cardiff and Swansea ? Are they not a low enough for you?

They just happen to be deadly rivals. I don't see how you could follow them both. A few of the other eL posters follow Cardiff - just go and ask them how often they would come across that particular combination.

Sources ? Sure where is your sources for an ex Barnet players wages ?

I used to play for them and speak with Paul Fairclough, their manager, on a regular basis. Is that good enough for you?

Our annual wage bill is €900k

So you do have a sugar daddy unless you're filling the Showgrounds to capacity every other week. Or maybe you just made it up.

Look go on to the the main part of foot.ie forum ask €1175 is sure a decent wage but it is not unheard.

Yes, at the bigger clubs like Cork, Drogs and Derry, but not at Sligo. Look what happened to Shels when they were paying those kind of wages. I think I know a little more about eL and Irish football than you think I do.

Sure if you want sources your going to have to look them up yourself or start a thread on the Eircom league section.

Anyway you be laughed out of town if you think that Barnet would win the Eircom league if they entered it.

I don't think I ever claimed that now, did I?

Don't worry if searing wit is not my forte football in the country where your crest is from is not yours ! :p However you seem to excel when it comes to ignorance.

Hey plastic at the end of the day I'm a Irish football fan and you are not ;)

And the source is me, and this is what you are

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=plastic+paddies

3 lions on my shirt Jules come on plastic sing !

Ahh, the old "you must be English" line. Never heard that one before. Maybe when you've travelled a little of the world yourself you'll understand more the impact of Irish emigration and why people like me assert our claim to Irishness. I sometimes wonder why we bother though when we have to suffer "countrymen" like you.

Soper
12/05/2007, 11:12 AM
PlasticPaddy is a known WUM. Whilst he is entitled to his opinion, however wrong it may be, I think it's best that fellow Rovers fans just focus on questioning the post, and not be drawn into a slanging match.

sligoman
12/05/2007, 11:16 AM
I think I know a little more about eL and Irish football than you think I do.In fairness PP, this post (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=588109&postcount=29) shows how much respect you have for the EL.

Soper
12/05/2007, 11:22 AM
Siempere Red II

Plastic Paddy
13/05/2007, 5:15 PM
In fairness PP, this post (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=588109&postcount=29) shows how much respect you have for the EL.

I think you're conflating "knowledge of" with "respect for", Sligoman (which in any case would suggest I have no respect for the eL, its clubs or fans, which is patently untrue). I stick by what I said previously; after all, Watford have spent this season as an English Premiership side and, given that they gave a creditable enough account of themselves, I'd suggest that they could currently beat any team from the eircom League.

That's not to say that individual players from the eL aren't capable of the step up to the top tier of the English game (because it's clear from recent examples that, given time, they are) but it seems unlikely that eL clubs could make the transition in competition as they just do not have the resources at their disposal. All however hypothetical, of course, and I'm happy to be convinced otherwise in reasoned debate.

PlasticPaddy is a known WUM. Whilst he is entitled to his opinion, however wrong it may be, I think it's best that fellow Rovers fans just focus on questioning the post, and not be drawn into a slanging match.

A known WUM, huh? I don't think we've ever exchanged two words before now, me fine fellow, so I'm curious as to how you draw your conclusions. For the record, I was a moderator on one of the highest-used foot.ie fora for two years without too many problems. I don't think I'd have been allowed to continue for long by the powers-that-be were I the WUM you suggest. Always passionate, occasionally patronising :o but not in it for the wind-up. I assure you.

Like you, though, I don't want to be drawn into a slanging match despite ongoing provocation but I'll defend my right to question vigorously anything that isn't correct or doesn't seem to add up. Something RT said earlier in this thread wasn't right, pure and simple, so I pointed it out. That's not against the rules, is it?

These really begger belief than somebody from another country is telling me they know more about football in my county than i do

Once again I would ask you to show where I claimed this, because frankly such a claim would be nonsense. That's the second time on this thread that you've failed to read one of my comments properly and then gone spouting off. Take your time next time and respond properly if you respond at all.

As for your cheap jibes regarding my place of birth and consequent claims to Irishness, I really can't be arsed to "debate" it any further. I'm fairly sure though that you don't question Kevin Kilbane's claim to Irishness each time he takes the field for his country (and wouldn't have done for Paul McGrath, David O'Leary or countless others preceding), so on what basis do you have the right or the reason to question mine?

avvenalaf
18/05/2007, 3:59 PM
Sorry to resurrect this one again, lads, but the impression seems to be that Barry Cogan was released by Barnet. He was not. Barnet failed to agree terms with him and he became a free agent. All the indications are that he will be moving up a division to Gillingham.