PDA

View Full Version : Ryan agrees to join Rovers

UCD_4_Life
05/02/2003, 11:01 PM
Bazza is going to Rovers.

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=8813&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes

This is one sucky, sucky turn of events.

Macy
06/02/2003, 9:21 AM
And streak of p!ss apparently going to Rovers as well according to Seagulls Nest.... Robbie Doyle to Bohs....

Shame to see your team breaking up :D

TheSeagullsNest
06/02/2003, 11:58 AM
unfortunatley ! Robbie and Bazza have left for Bohs and Rovers respectivley. It's a shame to see cause with the addition of a few other players UCD could have been a real force over the next few seasons, your back to sqaure one now with 2 of your best players gone. And the real kick in the teeth is that they were both free transfers !!!!!!!!!! at least we got a few quid for Jayo - but i'd still prefer to have him than the money. on a brighter note, Finn has resigned for next season.

dahamsta
06/02/2003, 12:51 PM
The censors are there for a reason. I'm willing to accept a small amount of leeway on it, but not in thread titles. Don't do it again please.

adam

@ndy
06/02/2003, 2:14 PM
Sorry man, hung over, wasn't thinkin.

Lads...look at it this way. I'm as disappointed as the rest of you, but here's the deal. We expected worst case scenario to lose Bazza, Clive and Robbie. Although i didn't think doyle would go, we still kinda knew it might happen. If Clive is gone, and as far as i can make out, trusting sources on this board...he has, then we've lost three quality players. We have, a quality squad at belfield. We have, in Pat Jennings a perfect replacement for Bazza who will be absolutely itching to get out and perform well. When he first got the chance 2 seasons ago and got 3 or 4 games at the end of the season at a vital time, while bazza was out (and bazza was playing really well at the time...just starting to build his rep) he played marvellously, under pressure, and we weren't sure whether bazza would be dropped. Like ryan he is a true character and a real morale booster in the team circle.

We have Richie Purdey, a big strong tough centre back who will step right in at the back. We need someone else to hold the fort there aswell, but I can see Tony being pushed back there at the beginning of next season, just to ease us back into it, with the lads possibly feeling a bit nervous without Clive and Baz, who led things back there.

As for Doyler, what can we say. He is a very promising quality striker who deserves better than the current UCDAFC as his club. He deserves to be fighting Crowe for the top scorer at Bohs spot. If he gets a regular place next season he will score a hat ful for Bohs next season, and i'm delighted for him because his attitude this season has been excellent since half way when i had him down as a bit lazy. He ran himself ragged week after week. When he steps on the field you know by the look of him he wants to score goals...he runs enthusiastically after every ball. It's easy to spot his weaknesses, which are a maturity thing in my eye (without being patronising or righteous). He likes the attention and the 'fame'. Likes to see his name or photo in the paper i'm sure. As long as he doesn't let it go to his head and keeps his feet on the ground he will do well. At the end of the season when he was dropped, (and perhaps was a little unfortunate not to get back for a start in the last game or two) he never flinched in front of the crowd. He may not have been very happy, but while representing the club, he never showed it. When brought on off the bench he came out all guns balzing and for the 15/20 mins ran his socks off. Good luck to him and we'll give him a cheer when he comes back to Belfield...as long as he doesn't score:)

Look at a possible starting 11 for next term....

Jennings

Sullivan
Robbie Mac
Tony Mac
Ryan

Jonny Martin
Alan McNally
Sean Finn
Alan Cawley

Robbie Martin
Alan Gallen

I would say that another striker would do us no harm...indeed it's probably very necessary. Having said that, with Purdey around Tony may be kept in the middle where he's most influential and Finn may be thrown in up front? Don't forget that i haven't even mentioned Mick O Donnel who is very versatile, Hugh Davey, young Gavin Whelan who like Jennings has a great name :) and there are more there aswell who will keep competition for places going. Either way, i would like to see a new defender and a young exciting attacker appear in the new season. It'd cheer me up :)

A team doesn't die when it loses a couple of players....we've always lost players...it's the way the club works...this is the downside to being a student club....we don't expect to retain players for long terms. Macy take note in your mockings that you're the very person who has expressed resentment and cynicism towards us as a club.

Anyway...here's to looking for a euro spot next year hehe :P We could spend the programme dosh out in Krakow, and no, i don't mean Drogheda Schumi....:P

Andy

lefty
06/02/2003, 2:15 PM
With Bazza gone to Scumbag Rovers were gonna be in serious trouble. Without him this season we would have been relegated. And whats this I hear about Robbie going to Bohs. Is it true? If it is then were real f***ed next season. Also I heard that West Ham have shown a keen interest in one Clive Delaney, well they can keep their grubby paws off him we will need at lease one of our star three to have any chance of beeting the drop.

Its gonna be a real tough season what with the big teams beefing up their squads and smaller teams like ourselves fighting for our very survival.

Lets hope were up for the fight and start next season the way we finished this one.

Come on you boys in blue

@ndy
06/02/2003, 2:17 PM
If west ham are really after Clive (and i'd trust schumi when he says its dung) then i'd love to see him go.

@ndy
06/02/2003, 2:23 PM
Just looking back at who we have at the club, Robbie Mac, Tony, Mick O D, these are experienced players now. With Alan Mc and Darragh Ryan approaching that level also, it's a nice squad we have. We never seem to have superstars...which is why Baz has headed off. I hope he's on decent money to Rovers, i would have loved to see him join a club with at least a bleedin stadium! Robbie Martin...i'd love to see him break out into the form we know he's capable of but have only seen flickers (memories which are fast fading) of it.

TheSeagullsNest
06/02/2003, 2:34 PM
positive way to look at things andy ! Seriously though, Wes Charles has been put up for Transfer by Bray and by talking to him he doesnt want to leave the Area - that were UCD should come in ! He didnt have the greatest of seasons last year but when he's fully fit he's a Rock at the back. Could be something for PD to think about ?

@ndy
06/02/2003, 3:32 PM
Very good point....i was very impressed with him at belfield recently....Busta as we know him....it'd be cool to see him in a ucd shirt alright. I can't remember a black player for UCD....NAZIS lol :P

lefty
06/02/2003, 4:22 PM
Football is a team sport but without the individual displays of Robbie Doyle, Barry Ryan and Clive Delaney this year UCD would be playing 1st Division football next season.

Who will take their place next season. UCD have always had a small few good individuals who together with an average team play well and can get results.

Next season we wont have a few good individuals maybe just one or two. That will make a difference

Schumi
06/02/2003, 5:09 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
If west ham are really after Clive (and i'd trust schumi when he says its dung) Shows what I know, he was on the radio last night talking about going to West Ham for a trial.

On the Bazza issue, I can't believe that he's gone to Rovers. They have no ground, their players were talking about striking because their wages weren't being paid. What kind of a move is that?

We really need a striker for next year and if Clive goes we could do with another centre back as well. Wes Charles was $hite this year, we need someone better than him.

@ndy
06/02/2003, 5:17 PM
Bazza hasn't signed yet...if anyone can contact him tell him he's a gob$hite. He is a bit of an eejit...you can tell that....im being harsh, he's just a bit of a carefree young fellow :) Terrible move tho...u're right.

pineapple stu
06/02/2003, 9:47 PM
Don't forget the likes of Alan Mahon are knocking around there as well, @ndy. The one thing which was very encouraging last season was that we had strength on the bench which we never had before.

Still can't believe Clive won't be with us at the start of next season - whatever about Bazza being an eejit to go to Rovers, Clive going to West Ham would be remarkable considering that come November, he'll be a qualified accountant. Surely it would make sense to wait until then before leaving? And of course, November is the season's end, which would give us another year with him.

Also, I would imagine that Doolo and the scouts are scouring England at the moment looking for players whose contracts with English clubs are expiring in the summer and are unlikely to be renewed what with the ITV Digital thingy. We've gotten Cawley, Davey, O'Mara and Grogan in the last two years from England - all class players, and there's no reason why we can't get more like them for next season.

In the meantime, back to CM 01-02, with UCD top of the Premier, Barry Ryan "pleased with his new contract", Kev Grogan on 12 goals from 15 games and a 5-1 hammering of bottom of the table Bohs already notched up! Why can't life be more like computer games?!

And what's this about Seán Finn quitting?!?!

<Censored speech here> ;)

pineapple stu
06/02/2003, 9:59 PM
Just thinking - if Drogheda go down, they're going to be in serious financial trouble and will have to release players. What odds Aidan Lynch, Andy Myler or Robbie Dunne coming back?!

lefty
07/02/2003, 8:57 AM
Schumis right. We need another forward for next season. And also a defender if Clive goes. And schumis completely right when he says that Wes Charles has been sh**e all last season.

TheSeagullsNest
07/02/2003, 9:33 AM
was dirt last season is because he started pre-season 4 weeks after everyone else and the major one was that himself and Devo fell out, Devo wouldnt talk or play him. As i said before, he did have a bad season but once he gets fit again he'll be a superstar once again.

@ndy
07/02/2003, 11:03 AM
LETS START THE CAMPAIGN...OUTSIDE BELFIELD FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON...BOYCOTT THE GROUND UNTIL THEY BRING BACK ANDY MYLER...ALL 6 OF US...:)

Schumi
07/02/2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
In the meantime, back to CM 01-02, with UCD top of the Premier, Barry Ryan "pleased with his new contract", Kev Grogan on 12 goals from 15 games and a 5-1 hammering of bottom of the table Bohs already notched up! Why can't life be more like computer games?!
You don't want to get into Championship Manager discussions with me!

September 06: UCD in Europe for the 4th season in a row, playing Rennes in the second round of the UEFA Cup after putting Helsingborgs and Litex out and with Robbie Martin called up to the full Ireland squad!

Oh and we won the Cup in 03, the league in 04 and best of all the Leinster Senior Cup in 05!!!! We also put Grasshoppers out 9-2 on aggregate in the second qualifying round of the Champions' League in 04 (winning 7-0 at home!).

lefty
07/02/2003, 1:27 PM
An ingenius idea. Bring back Andy Myler and while were at it bring back Ken Kilmurray. What an attacking pair up front.

UCD_4_Life
07/02/2003, 2:38 PM
(Sorry about the thread title, I wasn't thinking straight with the time and all)

Meanwhile in my CM game UCD are in the Champions League after winning the league and are top again in the second season. Robbie Doyle and Baz Ryan are first choice for Ireland (Doyler even scored in the World Cup!) also Tony Mac is in the squad with Cawley in the U-21's. I got this Italian lad from Napoli who's banging in the goals for us too.

Pat's got knocked out of the Toto Cup by some crap eastern European outfit, I guess it's not that unrealistic after all.:D

UCD_4_Life
07/02/2003, 2:45 PM
Oh and about Bazza, I can't believe that he went to Rovers either. I mean Bohs or even $hel$ I could understand but Rovers? I really don't get it.

UCD should get one of those fake pitches, UEFA are giving clubs E150,000 for using them for an experimental period. We could like buy loads of really good players and win the league then.

pineapple stu
07/02/2003, 7:03 PM
UCD should get one of those fake pitches, UEFA are giving clubs E150,000 for using them for an experimental period. We could like buy loads of really good players and win the league then.

I'd imagine we'd actually have to build the pitch at some stage, though! :D :D

pineapple stu
07/02/2003, 7:04 PM
Oh and about Bazza

Love the way Bazza going to the scum of scum is now a minor story compares to CM feats! :) :)

UCD_4_Life
07/02/2003, 7:26 PM

Not that hard, just go down the beach with a lot of buckets. We could make a day out of it.

Then come back and cover Belfield with sand. If Chelsea can do it, why can't we?

pineapple stu
07/02/2003, 9:41 PM
Cheap student ba$tard!:D :D

gustavo
07/02/2003, 10:36 PM
how is young cawley doing for ye anyway . he's a local lad left around three years ago to go to leeds. back then he was an attackin midfielder? also Wes is very much like the girl with the curl.

UCD_4_Life
07/02/2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
how is young cawley doing for ye anyway . he's a local lad left around three years ago to go to leeds. back then he was an attackin midfielder? also Wes is very much like the girl with the curl.

He's been very good, for the most part.

Has moments where you want to smack him but mostly good.

pineapple stu
08/02/2003, 1:32 PM
That Bazza story is on the official Rovers website as well - they say they've "completed" the signing.

Bugger.

Anyway, songs for the next Rovers game -

"We've got the best keeper in the league"
"We say Barry Ryan, are you as good as his da?"
"Ding-a-ling-a-ling, you're head's on fire"

and of course,

"Tolka, Santry or Richmond Park, and you'll never play at home, you'll never play at home"

@ndy
08/02/2003, 4:43 PM

Nah, he's right, it'd be grand. Just get the travellers from ballyogan to throw in some carpets...probably do the lot for a ton...europes first paisley pitch....:)

@ndy
08/02/2003, 4:46 PM
Originally posted by gustavo

He can't handle his drink and he's a s h i t e singer :P

Schumi
10/02/2003, 5:33 PM
"Ding-a-ling-a-ling, you're head's on fire" Oh the irony :D

Just to continue the CM boasting, I've just won the league for the second tiome in three seasons and got to the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup.

@ndy
11/02/2003, 2:49 PM
So you're doing well at Manu then eh man ;)

pineapple stu
12/02/2003, 9:01 PM
More Bazza slags - how about we all bring in some carrots to the game and maybe even an inflatable carrot if we can get one somewhere...?

Or am I going too far? :)

UCD_4_Life
12/02/2003, 9:24 PM
More Bazza slags - how about we all bring in some carrots to the game and maybe even an inflatable carrot if we can get one somewhere...?

Or am I going too far? :)

God, no.

We could get orange wigs too, signs pointing out his gingerness etc. maybe a bell for the ding-a-ling-a-ling bits in the chant.

A special STIG on orange paper...

Aberdonian Stu
13/02/2003, 4:38 PM
To the tune of the Bazza chant

Judas, Judas, Judas etc