PDA

View Full Version : Huge Interest in City hotseat

Neil
05/02/2003, 4:36 PM
in D'Echo:

City have recieved 10 applications. 6 from Cross Channel.

Include, John Beck, Paul Bracewell.

They mention other managers who are out of work at present:
Colin Addison, Dave Webb, Bruce Rioch, Jan Molby, Lou Macari, John Hollins, Noel Blake.

Don O'Riordan and Martin Heffernan (ex Cork Hibs) have applied. Dave Hill and Stuart Ashton also in the frame.

Applications close on Feb 20. New manager unveiled before end of month.

joe
05/02/2003, 5:28 PM
Originally posted by Neil
John Beck

didn't he manager cambridge when fergie was there

and never gave him a proper look-in

niamh
05/02/2003, 5:33 PM
Is mad that there's so much interest. I wonder how many applications they got last time round and I mean went Mountfield qualified.

Éanna
05/02/2003, 5:36 PM
couple of interesting candidates in there alright. ioch's a former arsenal manager if I'm right, Bracewell didn't do too badly at fulham either.

pete
05/02/2003, 5:44 PM
I think if going the UK route i thinkwe should avoid like the plague lower division managers such as DM & Hindmarsh. Both men had management backgrounds in the lower english divisions & no surprise their football sides were very physical long ballers.

Has any of those candidates managed recently?

Any imported manager would surely need a local assistant 'one who doesn't turned down the job himself only to change his mind when too late this time'.

gustavo
05/02/2003, 7:22 PM
Are all these just rumours? i mean has don really applied for the job? bad news for yee if he did he will just stick the team with 17 year olds so he doesnt have to answer to bad results for a couple of years.

jbrazil
05/02/2003, 7:58 PM
anyone know anything about martin heffernan?

Éanna
05/02/2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
The only entry for Arsenal in Rioch's cv is

"Managed Arsenal. Bought Dennis Bergkamp..."
apparently arsenal are after ronaldinho, so maybe bruce could get onto his mate dennis and drag him over here for a season or two ;) :D :D

Neil
06/02/2003, 11:43 AM
Cork cast net far and wide

In a mirror image of how the FAI conducted their search for a new international manager, Cork City’s Chairman Brian Lennox has travelled to England to meet some of English football’s more experienced helmsmen, including former Arsenal boss Bruce Rioch.

Reports have suggested that ten applicants have applied for the job vacated by Liam Murphy and six of those have experience with clubs in the Nationwide League.

Lennox has flown to England in the last few days to interview the applicants, which reportedly include such high profile names as Rioch, ex-Fulham star Paul Bracewell, former Man Utd star and Swindon Town and Celtic boss Lou Macari, Danish legend Jan Molby, formerly of Hull, and ex-Chelsea players Dave Webb and John Hollins, who have both managed clubs in the English league.

There’s no doubt that Rioch’s appointment would be the most high profile as he has led a number of clubs, including Torquay, Middlesborough, Millwall, Bolton, Arsenal, Norwich and Wigan during his 21 years as a manager.

The City chairman was remaining coy about who he was due to mee, but did admit that the men in question had a vast amount of experience in the game.

"We were delighted with the take-up in England. I do not wish to identify the people who have responded, for a number of reasons, but some of them have managed clubs in the First Division," he said.

Damien Richardson, Dave Hill, Stuart Ashton and Martin Heffernan are reputedly the remaining four candidates who will be interviewed when Lennox returns to Ireland next week.

niamh
06/02/2003, 12:07 PM
There also seems to be massive interest in the fact that City have had massive interest in the job. Which is also good. Has the club come so far from last time? I mean why did they apply this time? Was it the performances this season?

Éanna
06/02/2003, 6:43 PM
Originally posted by niamh
I mean why did they apply this time? Was it the performances this season?
I imagine a lot of things have made the job look more attractive. Obviously, City appear to be on the brink of something big if we can just sort out our away form. We have a chairman who has committed himself to bringing the club forwards and some great players. Also, things like Crowe making the ireland squad will probably have opened a few eyes across channel.

GavinZac
02/03/2005, 10:18 AM
wonder how relevant thsi thread is now...

Gary
02/03/2005, 10:41 AM
Not at all.

dahamsta
02/03/2005, 11:37 AM
GavinZac, don't lift threads this old please. If you want to reference old threads, link to them like everyone else.

adam